• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed regarding Seller's Property Info Form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed regarding Seller's Property Info Form

Hello! We're getting our house ready to sell and something's bothering me about the SPIF - the bit that asks whether our house has been underpinned.
    Our house has, but not because of subsidence - building control stipulated that the central spine wall of our house needed to be underpinned in order to support the weight of a new 2 bedroom loft conversion when the work was carried out 10 years ago. This work was done by the previous owners, building control were happy and signed it off.
    We had to advise our buildings insurance company of the underpinning and only a handful of insurance companies were willing to insure, even though the work was preventative rather than curative. It didn't pose much of a problem for us as we're mortgage-free, but now we're selling I'm panicing that prospective purchasers won't be able to get a mortgage.
    My question is: what do I say on the SPIF about underpinning?
    I'm really worried about this - any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    crisps
    Tags: None

Re: Advice needed regarding Seller's Property Info Form

Complete the form truthfully and completely.
    Give a full explanation, on a separate sheet if necessary.
    If you don't, it might come back to bite you in years to come!

Comment

Tell the truth if you have anything in writing offer to supply it to support the reasons it was done

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Complete the form truthfully and completely.
        Give a full explanation, on a separate sheet if necessary.
        If you don't, it might come back to bite you in years to come!
        Thanks, that's what I thought. I just wondered whether there's any way I can word it specifically, to avoid raising the usual panic the 'underpinning' word usually evokes?

Comment

As a seller you are not obliged to respond to pre-contract enquiries and the usual buyer beware scenario applies. The exceptions to this are:

1. latent defects in the title i.e. a defect in the property that could not have been reasonably seen on initial inspection but occurs at a much later date. Some latent defects in title might include a tenancy, local land charge, right of way which is not apparent etc.

2. the contract is entered into by way of fraud

You are also not obliged to dislcose any physical latent defects so a latent defect in the construction or design would not normally be required to disclose subject.

If you decide to reply you do need to be honest in your answer or you could be liable for misrepresentation if the answer you provided is not correct or at the very least negligent.

Do you have a solicitor acting for you as they should be able to help you with the wording if you do reply.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

How about:-

"Circa 10 years ago the foundations were strengthened in order to support the weight of a new 2 bedroom loft conversion."

Tells the truth and removes the "U" word.

Comment

Thanks, ROb. We haven't got a solicitor yet - I'm currently rounding up all the paperwork we'll need in anticipation and got The Fear last night about the underpinning! Thought I'd better see what you all said to prepare for any possible problem.
              crisps

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
                How about:-

"Circa 10 years ago the foundations were strengthened in order to support the weight of a new 2 bedroom loft conversion."

Tells the truth and removes the "U" word.
                Heh heh heh! I like your thinking! Thanks.
                crisps

Comment

Interestingly the TA6 (SPIF) does not ask if the property has been underpinned.

It asks if there are any warranties or guarantees for underpinning in force that benefit the property.
                  Any guarantees for the work may have expired by now, or may only benefit the previous owners.

It also asks about building works and gives examples eg extention, loft conversion etc. and if carried out during sellers ownership they require planning approval, completion certificates etc.

As works were carried out by previous owner there may not be any need to mention the underpinning anyway.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X