• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Uncooperative beneficiary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncooperative beneficiary

Hello to everyone on here,

My dilemma is that my FIL died last March and had left a will.
    3 beneficiaries. Estate to be split 40/40/20.
    Problem is that the third beneficiary who lives in Spain will not supply correct identification, i.e. registered /certified address.
    He point blankly refuses to deal with myself (executor) and Solicitors. Estate is ready to be wound up and inheritances disbursed.
    What happen to the third beneficiaries inheritance if we cannot get him to supply relevant information?

Thanks for your replies in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Uncooperative beneficiary

Do you know of any specific reason for his non co-operation?
    Is there the possibility he does not want his inheritance?
    In which case perhaps he would renounce it and thus it could be distributed between the other beneficiaries.

If not, I would suggest a separate deposit account is opened in names of joint executors, for the benefit of the third beneficiary.

Your solicitor might like to explore the possibility that he has renounced his legacy by his actions.

Comment

Re: Uncooperative beneficiary

As I understand it, you have two options in order to fulfill your duty.

1. Make an application to the court under Part 64 for further directions
      2. Payment into court

If you apply for further dircections this will of course come at an expense, which the beneficiary may feel is unnecessary where it is known what the court is likely to give directions on. Payment made into court can be done if you have acted reasonably. Given that the beneficiary is refusing to co-operate in providing required information, you should keep all correspondence as evidence in case the beneficiary brings a claim for unreasonableness.

You will have to show that you have acted reasonably and where the is no co-operation, payments into court would be seen as reasonable but you must also attempt to resolve the situation before doing so. This could be for example by stating that if they fail to co-operate then you will pay the beneficiaries payment into court.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X