• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car warranty doesn't cover full cost of repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car warranty doesn't cover full cost of repair

Hi just wondering if I could get some help. I have had my car for 9 months and on Tuesday the engine blew up and the warranty covers to repair the car up to the value of how much we paid for the car, which was £6995. But the warranty won't cover the remaining £913, so we have to pay ourselves. The car is a 59 reg. We have only done 8,200 miles since we have had it. And it's only done 69000 miles since new and he a full service history. We got told that basically if we don't fix the car and pay the rest of the money it would get written off and scraped! Is this all correct as I feel this must b incorrect as if we don't pay for a fault that we got told wasn't down to us, then we would lose our car and almost £7000! Please help many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Car warranty doesn't cover full cost of repair

Are you saying that a new engine is £7,908 (£6995 +£913)?

That can't be right can it?

Comment

Yeah apparently so! New engine plus labour. I have phoned citizens advice and they said we shouldn't have to pay a penny to them and they should fix it for free. But mazda are saying this is not true and I felt a bit silly. I am phoning mazda UK on Monday to dispute it with them.

Comment

You still have certain rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but I suspect at 9 months the onus will be on you to prove that the car had an inherent defect that caused the engine to blow, and that you maintained the car so as not to cause the problem. How confident are you that you can do this?

If you bought the car through a finance company then the Supply of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1973 applies in addition to the CRA and sections 8 -15 relate to HP agreements making the finance company liable as well as the dealer (if you bought from a dealer on finance that is) for defects, if that is what this is. At least one of them may be liable to stump up the difference.

Lastly, you should read the warranty very carefully to make sure that you are correct about it not paying in full.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. They told us it wasn't our fault it happened. It's a fault with the engine. It's quite common apparently.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X