• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Poor service and/or discrimination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor service and/or discrimination?

Dear all,

I have another conundrum and it seems I have encountered another slippery issue.

A hypothetical example:

A disabled person with a severe physical disfigurement (I don't have one of these in case anyone is wondering) goes into a pub. He is not readily served and often ignored by the bar staff. Whilst he is in the pub he notices that other members of the public are being readily served before him. This happens time and time again.

He raises these issues with the pub management and they allege "oh, sorry, we just didn't see you there."

The issue I face is when does poor service become direct discrimination (in this example and generally)? Further, when does the burden of proof reverse?

Section 4.5 of the Code of Practice states as follows:
    "To decide whether a service provider has treated a service user ‘less favourably’, a comparison must be made with how they have treated other service users or would have treated them in similar circumstances. If the service provider’s treatment of the service user puts the service user at a clear disadvantage compared with other service users, then it is more likely that the treatment will be less favourable: for example, where a customer is refused service or a person’s membership of a club is terminated. Less favourable treatment could also involve being deprived of a choice or excluded from an opportunity. If the quality of the service being offered or the manner in which it is offered is comparatively poor, this could also amount to less favourable treatment."

Any input appreciated.
    Last edited by heisenberg; 31st March 2016, 20:15:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Poor service and/or discrimination?

I must have some disfigurement many a time have I been ignored waiting at a bar or anywhere to be served its part and parcel of life

Comment

The service at one of local hosteleries (Ship [MENTION=60960]tre[/MENTION]saith in case you know it Wales) was so poor one day that a mate, standing at the bar, phoned the pub. When it was answered he ordered his beer!

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        I must have some disfigurement many a time have I been ignored waiting at a bar or anywhere to be served its part and parcel of life
        Hahaha... So have I. This is why I say this is a slippery issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        The service at one of local hosteleries (Ship @tresaith in case you know it Wales) was so poor one day that a mate, standing at the bar, phoned the pub. When it was answered he ordered his beer!

Comment

Looking like Quasimodo as I do they always know what whisky I drink Bells

Sorry sense of humour going stupid here

Comment

Looking like Quasimodo as I do they always know what whisky I drink Bells

Sorry sense of humour going stupid here
            I judge not. Nor will I discriminate against your posts. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by heisenberg View Post
              I judge not. Nor will I discriminate against your posts. :tinysmile_twink_t2:
              Thankyou i don't discriminate against anyone just everyone

Comment

Jeez! :shocked:

Comment

If you discriminate against everyone you are treating no person less favourably and therefore not discriminating against anyone. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X