• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another Lowell/Statute Barred one...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Lowell/Statute Barred one...

Hello again, some of you may remember that I've posted previously in relation to a debt of my husbands that we believe is statute barred but Lowell insist that it runs from the default debt. (Seems to be their default position as they are arguing it with one of mine as well!)

Hubby sent a SAR to Welcome Car Finance (original creditor - HP agreement). They had until 16 March to send docs but sent it 18th and it was received today.

On the terms of the agreement, it states (Clause 7) "If you fail to pay any of the payments in full on the date when it is due...we will be entitled but not bound to terminate this agreement by notice to you".

The first missed payment was in May 2007 so I've read it that this would be when they would be entitled to (or have 'cause of action' to) terminate the agreement, even though they did not do so until October 2007 (when default notice was served and not rectified).

Our argument has been that the limitation period started running from the first missed payment (but wanted the agreement to check). This would make it 6 years 3 weeks before payment to Lowell was made (13 June 2013). Lowell argue that it runs from the default date (9 October 2007) which obviously takes it under the 6 years.

I don't think I know what to do anymore with this. Given the wording in the terms, would we still be good to rely on SB or shall we just give in and offer £x amount per month for an indeterminate amount of time?

In relation to my debt, mine was an old cap one account, no payment made for 6 years 3 months and 3 weeks from 1st missed payment so I don't want to give in on that one so easily! But hubby's worries him.

I know I've asked for (and received) help before (thanks!) on this issue but now we have the exact wording from the t's & c's i'd be grateful if someone could help clarify if position changed or not.

Thank you again in advance

Amy
    Tags: None

Re: Another Lowell/Statute Barred one...

bump? :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

The default date would probably be known by the original creditor and not by Lowlifes date, they will use a later date as to pursue their own interests.

Comment

which default date is not in question; i have this from OC. What I was wondering was whether the wording in the contract condition would be enough to argue to cause of action, and not the default date.

Comment

Hello Amy Capone agreements that missing any payment gives them the right to default and call in the debt.

Lowell's stock phrase has been " the date the account fell into default" rather than the date they tend to rely on which is that which appears on credit reference files, imo it's reasonable to argue that the date of the last payment, ( after which no further payment was ever made i.e. last payment + 1 month or for certainty 2months.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X