• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot & old Co-op credit card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot & old Co-op credit card

Cabot are chasing me for a 10 year-old debt, and I'm not sure if I should carry on ignoring them or try to get rid. Here's the story.

Old Co-op cc debt, defaulted, last payment & acknowledgement 2005. Checked Trust Online & CRAs 2012 - clear.

Equidebt started chasing, offering bigger and bigger discount, till they went out of business. Cabot took over, wrote once late 2013, started again January 2016, every 2 weeks, say they'll keep writing, no threats yet.

(Similar situation recently, same dates, Robinson Way, old NatWest cc, sent them SB letter, & they closed the account 8 anxious weeks later. I'd sent the SB letter to RW, because there had been a longer, 5 week gap between letters when they'd said their next step was to consider what action to take, including legal action. Then the next letter just went back to the usual begging. I thought they must have checked it out with NatWest, but after I'd sent the SB letter I had doubts.)

I'm wondering how risky it would be to send Cabot the SB letter. Closure would be good, but preferably not by paying them. They said a couple of letters ago that they had a flexible approach to how much I owed, but I'm thinking they wouldn't agree to a pound, unless it was flesh.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Last edited by Frank Leigh; 23rd March 2016, 13:23:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot & old Co-op credit card

Was a CCJ against any of these debts?

Comment

There were no CCJs when I checked Trust Online and the Credit Reference Agencies in 2012, and I've been a subscriber to the free Noddle service since then and it's been clear.
      Last edited by Frank Leigh; 23rd March 2016, 13:13:PM.

Comment

Hi Frank Leigh

Imho, from what you've posted, it would seem safe enough to raise your head above the parapet on this. eep:

If you're confident that you have neither made a payment to the account, or given written acknowledgement of it, in the last 6 years+, there's nothing to worry about.
        Statute Barred is a complete defense; the alleged debt still exists (different rules in Bonny Scotland, where it is written off after 5 years) - but it can't be enforced.
        So, if this is the case, you can either ignore it or do a deal with them (suitably discounted, of course! - if you choose the 'full & final route, be careful. Post back here & let us know,)
        So, frankly Frank Leigh, your shout!
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks. Safest to carry on ignoring, I think.

Comment

Update since March 2016....

Just to be extra safe, I waited until the 6th anniversary of Cabot's first letter, in which they invited me to pay them over £11k. Then I sent them a statute barred letter, to which they have just replied, closing the account.

Thanks to all for your advice. Merry Christmas! (well, it seems like it to me)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X