• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Lowell/Lowell Solicitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Lowell/Lowell Solicitors

I have an ongoing court claim with Lowell. I requested documents over two weeks ago and they have yet to send me them.
    Today I received a Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track. Which I must submit by March 21st (judging by the date on the form this was meant to reach me much earlier).

I am at a loss for what to do. I am 95% sure the debt is statute barred and I think Lowell are either holding out on the documents or just don't have them.
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Lowell/Lowell Solicitors

Good Morning,

What type of account does the alleged debt arise from? What is the amount claimed?
    When was the claim issued?
    What " requests " have you sent CCA and or CPR 31.14 ?
    What else have you done so far Defence filed?

Statute Barred - England and Wales 6 year with no payments or written acknowledgment of a debt, any payment or acknowledgment resets the 6 year " clock to zero. A County Court Claim stops the " clock" on the date of issue.

Have you checked your credit files to check the information registered? If not you can check Noddle Free Online.

nem

Comment

The claim was originally issued in January. On the 7th.

The debt was originally to 02 over a mobile phone contract.

I have submitted a defence on the grounds of Statute Barred. The default date on Noddle shows 19/05/2010, The last payment and acknowledgement of the debt was nov 19th 2009. I did notice that they updated the debt on 22nd of February though. It used to be the bottom account on my Noddle now it is at the top.

I submitted a CPR request on the 4th of February. So it's been over a month now. I received a reply from Lowell Solicitors on 22nd stating they have requested them from Lowell and will send them on receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinth View Post
        The claim was originally issued in January. On the 7th.

The debt was originally to 02 over a mobile phone contract.

I have submitted a defence on the grounds of Statute Barred. The default date on Noddle shows 19/05/2010, The last payment and acknowledgement of the debt was nov 19th 2009. I did notice that they updated the debt on 22nd of February though. It used to be the bottom account on my Noddle now it is at the top.

I submitted a CPR request on the 4th of February. So it's been over a month now. I received a reply from Lowell Solicitors on 22nd stating they have requested them from Lowell and will send them on receipt.

Lowell will undoubtedly claim that the date the account fell into default or the date the account was terminated started the relevant 6 year period.

19th of which month 2009 was the last payment made?

nem

Comment

19th of November 2009 was the last payment date. Is there anything I can do about them not sending me the requested documents ? By law which is correct, the last acknowledgement or the default date?

EDIT: I have jut sent me their directions questionnaire so they obviously aren't having any trouble getting mail to me.
          Last edited by Kinth; 18th March 2016, 11:18:AM.

Comment

19th of November 2009 was the last payment date. Is there anything I can do about them not sending me the requested documents ? By law which is correct, the last acknowledgement or the default date?

EDIT: I have jut sent me their directions questionnaire so they obviously aren't having any trouble getting mail to me.
            To enforce the CPR request would need an application to the court £155 no doubt Lowell would defend and this could leave with more costs.

The start of the relevant 6 year period varies with the type of debt, confusion has been caused by an Appeal Court ruling in which the court ruled that the date of termination was the start of the relevant 6 year period. However this ruling was in regard to an Hire Purchase agreement but debt purchasers will attempt to use this ruling.

With service contracts a creditor issues a Final Demand or Invoice and this can be argued to be the start of the 6 year period.

You can write to Lowell Solicitors and invite them to advise their " client " to discontinue the claim because you believe the alleged debt is statute barred, now there is no guarantee as to what answer Lowell will give, If they disagree it would be your belief against theirs.

nem

Comment

Finally got a response from Lowell, still not sent me the documents.

They are claiming I made a payment on 14th of April 2011. I have an online bank statement that shows one payment on April 14th 2011 and it wasn't to any debt. Checked all dates either side for 2 months as well just to be certain.

What can I do with this information ?

Comment

Finally got a response from Lowell, still not sent me the documents.

They are claiming I made a payment on 14th of April 2011. I have an online bank statement that shows one payment on April 14th 2011 and it wasn't to any debt. Checked all dates either side for 2 months as well just to be certain.

What can I do with this information ?
                Challenge the alleged payment.

How much do they claim was paid? Does the amount you paid match what Lowell claim has been paid.

nem

Comment

Phantom payments by lowell again!

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                    Phantom payments by lowell again!
                    Just can't help it can they Mike!!

n em

Comment

No - infancy state they are in! layball:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X