• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Abbey Solicitors Docs ref Compass Debt Counsellors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbey Solicitors Docs ref Compass Debt Counsellors

Abbey Letter.
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Abbey Solicitors Docs ref Compass Debt Counsellors

Abbey 2
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Small print...

and contract with Compass

( if it's not readable enough I'll do better copies )
      Attached Files
      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Small print...

and contract with Compass

( if it's not readable enough I'll do better copies )
        Some of it I would be making educated guesses at what it says, to be honest.

Comment

Should be last one.
          Attached Files
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
            Some of it I would be making educated guesses at what it says, to be honest.
            Okay will sort the scanner out xx
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Any better?
              Attached Files
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Rest of Terms
                Attached Files
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Questions asked of SRA & FCA re the CCL issues. Let you know if I hear anything back.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...2#post70313802

Originally posted by meg123..
                    I have all the paper work from Abbey Solicitors, that i had signed up for before Compass went under, not sure if i should stay with them

Comment

Does this make sense Nibbler ? If so post it on MSE ( if not rewrite in a way that makes sense )

Abbey Solicitors are contacting customers of failed debt firm, Compass Debt Counsellors, offering a service of writing off debts. We have obtained copies of the client care letter the firm is sending out. It appears that they are offering to look at a consumers debts and advise the consumer whether they have any potential arguments that the debts are unenforceable using the Consumer Credit Act and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

The letter/agreement doesn't state what Abbey Solicitors intend to do if they find there are any arguments, or what will happen if they don't. It doesn't actually tell their potential client what they will be doing at all. BUT they are quite clear that the individual needs to pay them the same amount they were paying to Compass Debt Counsellors to Abbey ( approx £100 to £500 per month - the individuals entire calculated disposable income).

Payments won't be made to the individuals creditors, nor will it be put in a 'savings pot' to save for future full and final settlements. It appears they are expecting consumers to stop paying their debts entirely and give all of their disposable income to Abbey Solicitors instead, for a year.

They do state quite clearly that they will not assist with Defending any court claims that result from the individual having stopped paying his debts - presumably assuming if a court claim is made, that the consumer will instruct Abbey Solicitors to act on their behalf, for further fee's or on a CFA basis.

Vulnerable, and panicked consumers are being encouraged by this firm to stop paying their debts, and give all of their disposable income ( for that is what they paid to Compass with the intention 50% of it was actually being used to pay their creditors to reduce their debt) to Abbey Solicitors.

Obviously this is an incredibly bad idea.

( waiting for a reply from SRA and FCA before bringing up the issue of credit licence)
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

I've only read through the letter once I'll admit, but that seems like a fair summary on the gist of it.

I'll post it as a quote if you don't mind? Or you can yourself?

Comment

Actually hang fire - I've asked her if she knows what Abbey are offering - because I can't see that letter makes it very clear at all, and be interesting to have a customers view on what it says, before saying what we think it says.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

True, as it sounds as she is actively in such an agreement, she may have gleaned more details of what it really entails/means.

Comment

Yep, no she hasn't.

Have posted after you xxx

Okay. No you shouldn't stay with them ( in my personal opinion) Apologies I just wanted to find out what they were putting across they were offering.

It appears that they are offering to look at a consumers debts and advise the consumer whether they have any potential arguments that the debts are unenforceable using the Consumer Credit Act and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

The letter/agreement doesn't state what Abbey Solicitors intend to do if they find there are any arguments, or what will happen if they don't. It doesn't actually tell their potential client what they will be doing at all. BUT they are quite clear that the individual needs to pay them the same amount they were paying to Compass Debt Counsellors to Abbey ( approx £100 to £500 per month - the individuals entire calculated disposable income) regardless of if they find any arguments.

Payments won't be made to the individuals creditors, nor will it be put in a 'savings pot' to save for future full and final settlements. It appears they are expecting consumers to stop paying their debts entirely and give all of their disposable income to Abbey Solicitors instead, for a year.

They do state quite clearly that they will not assist with Defending any court claims that result from the individual having stopped paying his debts - presumably assuming if a court claim is made, that the consumer will instruct Abbey Solicitors to act on their behalf, for further fee's or on a CFA basis.

They seem to be calling customers of Compass saying they will get their debts written off - that is not what the letter says. The letter says they will look at agreements and advise you if you have any arguments to use against the creditors.

I'd suggest get your DMP sorted with Stepchange / Paypal or self manage it with help from CAB - and if you want to argue against any of the debts get a CCA request sent off ( request copy of the original agreement and terms ) with one of the template letters on here or on LB ( just as I don't know where it is on here) and assess things yourself (with the help from the great peeps on here / LB )

That is just based on the letters I have seen. If you feel yours does say different can you let us know.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X