• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Management Agency enforcing Liability Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Management Agency enforcing Liability Order

OK, I'll try to summarise briefly the situation in which I find myself: the Council obtained a Liability Order against me for unpaid Council Tax and passed this to a Debt Management Agency. When they visited me, I made a payment to their agent (using a credit card). A month or so later I phoned the Council to pay off the remaining balance of my outstanding council tax. They told me the amount was ~£1,900, so I authorised payment of this amount (plus a small surcharge) on my credit card. I was then surprised to receive a demand from the Debt Management Agency telling me I still had ~£250 outstanding (for their fees). When I spoke to the council they revealed the actual amount of Council Tax outstanding had been ~£1,700 not the ~£1,900 they had stated, but refused to refund the payment I had made. I spoke to my credit card company and they agreed that if I could provide documentation showing the wrong amount, they would refund the payment.

My question therefore is this: if I pay off the amount demanded by the Debt Management Agency and get them to send me a letter stating that there is no more money owed in this matter, were I to obtain the refund of the ~£1,900 payment through my credit card company and then the Debt Management Agency were to start chasing me for the ~£1,700, would the letter they had previously sent me showing no more money was owed prevent them from having any further legal claim?

Sorry - I hope that is clear.

Thanks,

3g
    Tags: None

Re: Debt Management Agency enforcing Liability Order

Hi 3g, & welcome to LB

Oh, what a tangled web we weave............?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi 3g, & welcome to LB

Oh, what a tangled web we weave............?
      Indeed, but it is not I who is trying to deceive...

Comment

Originally posted by 3guesses View Post
        Indeed, but it is not I who is trying to deceive...
        Hi 3g

I was, of course, referring to the Council/Mags court/Enforcement Agency pact with Mammon.

Was there another problem? - if so, I can't for the life of me think of anything else? :confused2:
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X