• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Smart Parking Fine with Dept Collector at £170

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Parking Fine with Dept Collector at £170

Hi,

I have received a parking charge notice from Smart Parking Ltd. The date of the contravention was late January and the letter went to the registered address which was not updated since I moved. When i finally got the letter, which was just recently and I now have a letter from a debt collection agency. The car was only in the car park for 17 minutes according to the ticket. The amount to park the car would have been 30p for 30 minutes. The fine was £100 but would have been £60 had i paid within 14 days. But as I didnt get the letter in time then it is £100 and as a debt collector got involved it is now £170.

I have read that I should just ignore the letter as I am in Northern Ireland and it cant be enforced (apparently) but I would rather try the appeal and go through the proper procedures. I was hoping that someone would help me write the appeal letter as I assume you only get one shot at it.

One other thing I was wondering, should I get in contact with the debt collector and say that I wont be paying the fine and that they should proceed to court if they feel its necessary? Ive never been a fan of just ignoring these things.

Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated. If you need any other information, please let me know and I will post it up.
    Last edited by karabash; 7th March 2016, 14:15:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Smart Parking Fine with Dept Collector at £170

Edit your post so that the person driving can not be inferred. In NI they can only go after the driver, whose name they don't know, and POFA doesn't apply so they have no case against the keeper.

You could write to the debt collector stating that you are writing as the registered keeper and you are denying any debt to them or their principal and therefore return the debt to their principal. Look to the driver for any alleged debt. Any furtherr correspondence will be treated as harassment and may be acted on accordingly.

On the other hand you could save on the stamps and just ignore. BUT GET EDITING

Comment

In NI as in Scotland, stick the bogroll in a drawer and get on with life unless you get court papers which is incredibly unlikely.

M1

Comment

Thank you for all the help. I think I will just wait it out and if they bring me to court, Ill deal with it then.

Comment

Have you heard any more from the debt collectors.

Comment

If he hasn't, he probably will. Usually 4-6 letters before they disappear but sometimes they pop up again just before the matter is defeated by limitation (times out).

M1

Comment

I've received some letters from various debt collection agencies threatening court action, and one reducing it to £100 if I pay it. However I have just ignored all letters, until I receive an actual summons (if I ever do).

Comment

Originally posted by karabash View Post
                I've received some letters from various debt collection agencies threatening court action, and one reducing it to £100 if I pay it. However I have just ignored all letters, until I receive an actual summons (if I ever do).

Have you heard anything since this last post? I am in the same situation, two letters from the parking company, two from the debt collection service. Thanks

Comment

I received a few letters, but they gave up in the end. A few times they offered to reduce it to £100 to clear it up. But ignored everything.

Comment

Originally posted by karabash View Post
                    I received a few letters, but they gave up in the end. A few times they offered to reduce it to £100 to clear it up. But ignored everything.
                    Great!! Thanks for that, I will keep ignoring.

Comment

Originally posted by groiny View Post
                      Great!! Thanks for that, I will keep ignoring.

Did you get a letter from a solicitor . I got one from Gladstone solicitors threatening court. This relates to jan2017 . Did you get the same letters ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fine101 View Post
                        Did you get a letter from a solicitor . I got one from Gladstone solicitors threatening court. This relates to jan2017 . Did you get the same letters ?
                        Hi Fin101

Where do you live? (E/W/S/NI)
                        Did the letter say 'definitely will' do court, or just 'may/might/refer to client etc.?
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                          Hi Fin101

Where do you live? (E/W/S/NI)
                          Did the letter say 'definitely will' do court, or just 'may/might/refer to client etc.?
                          Hi

I live in Belfast . It says our client now has the option to commence proceedings in the appropriate civil court

Comment

Have you identified who was driving with reference to the time of the alleged parking event?
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              Have you identified who was driving with reference to the time of the alleged parking event?

No I haven't made any contact with the debt collector or the solicitor . I have ignored all letters bar one attempt to appeal online which failed with an error message saying try agin in 24hours . So no contact at all

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X