• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary termination of hire purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voluntary termination of hire purchase

[MENTION=82411]Michellec80[/MENTION], please see the draft letter below

---------------

ADDRESS
    ADDRESS
    ADDRESS
    POSTCODE

[DATE]

Dear Amanda,

Agreement Number:
    Vehicle Registration:

Re: Voluntary Termination of the Hire Purchase Agreement

I am writing further to your letter dated 4 March 2016 containing a summary of charges which is allegedly owed to [COMPANY NAME].

I am concerned about the fact that your letter suggests that I owe [COMPANY NAME] circa £340 relating to outstanding arrears, collection fees and insurance. For the reasons set out below, it is denied that any sums referred to in your letter is owed to [COMPANY NAME].

£173.25 for outstanding arrears

As your letter indicates, I have already paid at least one half of the total amount payable as required under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the “Act”). The letter appears to imply that despite paying at least half the total amount payable, I am also liable for a further payment of one month. As you may be aware, the Act limits my liability to half of the total amount payable under the agreement and does not include any sum payable as a penalty, compensation or damages for breach of the agreement (see definition of “total price” under s.189). I contacted you in writing on [DATE] exercising my right to terminate the agreement in accordance with s.99 of the Act. The Act itself does not stipulate any requirement to give a period of notice other than to notify you in writing, which I have done. As such, I have no further liability for any additional payments under the agreement nor am I obliged to do so.

Collection charges

For the reasons set out above, I am not required to pay any collection fees.

£161.29 for insurance policy

Having read the terms and conditions of the hire purchase agreement, it seems quite clear that the cost of the insurance policy has been incorporated into the total amount payable thus paying one monthly amount which covers both costs of the vehicle and insurance. As pointed out above, The Act provides for a statutory liability which is limited half of the total amount payable. Because [COMPANY NAME] have tied the vehicle and insurance costs together under the hire purchase agreement and not separately, I am therefore not liable for the remainder of the insurance policy.

May I remind you that the agreement has been terminated from the date of giving [COMPANY NAME] notice and you are now required to collect the vehicle.

Your letter states that the vehicle must be returned to [COMPANY NAME] to complete the voluntary termination. Unfortunately, this is incorrect as there is no legal requirement for me to (a) return the vehicle to you and (b) once the vehicle is returned or collected, the voluntary termination is complete. As far as my legal obligations are concerned, giving notice to terminate the agreement is all that is required.

As the agreement is now terminated, I request that you contact me within the next 14 days to arrange a suitable time to collect the vehicle. If you refuse to collect the vehicle or the 14 day period has expired, I shall have no choice but revoke the remaining tax and insurance on the vehicle, and notify the DVLA that [COMPANY NAME] is now the registered keeper of the vehicle. Any subsequent liability from that date forward, shall be borne by [COMPANY NAME]

If you disagree with any of the above, particularly the alleged outstanding charges, please could you state the sections of the Act to which you are referring to.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much for that. I'll send it tomorrow.

Comment

I can't find the agreement number. That bit on HP agreement has been left blank. Do I need this to proceed? Thanks.

Comment

No just put your vehicle registration number will be fine
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi. Thanks. I posted the letter today so fingers crossed I'll hear from them soon. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

I've gone through a similar thing with Mercedes Benz, I never signed any forms and threatened them with storage charges when they tried to delay collection of the vehicle.
              I have received a letter asking for money for excess mileage, I've spoken to them and told them that I'm not liable and would be happy to see them in court, I now have received a letter from a collection agency.
              What do I need to do?

Comment

Having a nightmare. Posted the letter as I said but now after checking the car and starting it up I find there is a mechanical fault! It looks like I'll have to pay to get it fixed before they'll agree to take it back. It was fine on Saturday. It has been started up not been driven for a week as the insurance has expired. Not sure what to do now.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that Michelle, it would be suggestible that you have the vehicle working, although it could be something simple if its been sitting there for a while.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

I have received an email in reply to my letter.

"Thank you for your letter, received today, the contents of which are noted.

Due to a Voluntary Termination being time restricted (the vehicle needs to be in our possession by 25th March to complete the Voluntary Termination), I have decided to email the response.

Voluntary Termination figures are worked out in line with Sections 99 & 100 of the consumer credit act, as you correctly stated there is no charges or penalty for Voluntary Termination, the balance payable is arrears and insurances (which do not form part of your VT figure) plus any charges that are due.

We can offer you a drop off point that is a reasonable distance from you (Slough) or unfortunately there is a fee for collection (this is a reduced fee of £80, significantly less than we are charged). This fee can either be paid up front or added to your outstanding balance.

As you have clearly stated you require the vehicle to be collected we have sent your details to a company called Newark Auctions and they will contact you direct to arrange collection at a convenient time to yourself (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm), please note this contact will be by phone.

In the meantime we are happy to come to a monthly arrangement on the outstanding balance but unfortunately this balance will not be zero."

Comment

Sounds like they will auction it off to get rid and write off the balance anyway..We sent a Renault Scenic back a few years ago, the whole dash failed and they wouldn't repair it. Then it refused to start so I had a "mate" with a low loader, took it back to Leeds and left it there! With the bill of dropping it off!

Comment

Hi Michelle,

I would need to re-read the terms again but I don't think I spotted anything within the agreement that says the insurance is separate to the credit amount for the vehicle. The credit for the vehicle and credit for the insurance is rolled into one total credit as outlined in your agreement. Therefore they are not separate and you can evidence this by showing that you paid one monthly amount each month which covers both the vehicle and insurance. The insurance should have been coming out on a different direct debit in my eyes if they are not part of the agreement.

At what point did you VT your agreement? was this before your next payment due or after? Had you already paid the month that you VT'd or not? Depending on your answer you are either up to date or at worst, you could offer to pay them an amount back on a pro-rata basis for the month in which you VT'd.

They can add the charges but they cannot be owed the collection fee. You could also argue that by terminating your agreement under s.99 it is a penalty as it is there to deter you from exercising that right to do otherwise you will be charged. Alternatively you could say its compensation to them as a result of you terminating the agreement which again is not allowed and any term which tries to imply that in a contract is void under s.172 of the consumer credit act.

Just out of curiosity, who sent the email?

I'll knock something up later tonight as guidance
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

The problem I have now is that the car has annoyingly developed an engine fault. A warning light has come on and it is reluctant to start. I have until 25th to get it diagnosed and fixed. Ever have the feeling 'something' is against you?

Comment

Hi. It looks as though it was ended after the next instalment was due as it seems they are only accepting the letter as a VT request. They did call and leave a message to say they were still waiting for the latest payment. I think I will pay that as I should really have been more definite. I assume they took the email as me just asking for advice. They seem pretty adamant they will be charging me a fee for collection don't they! The lady that emailed me was Amanda Sleight. Thanks.

Comment

Hi. The Newark Motor Auction people just called me telling, not asking, telling me that they'd be here tomorrow to pick up the car. I told them I would be at work for the next few days to try to buy a bit of time. The man was rude. I definitely won't be allowing them to come here without my husband being here.

Comment

Hi Michelle,

If you can't do it today then you have informed them that you ar eunable to if they still insist on coming out then it will be their waste of time. You should also email them if they have a website and say further to our conversation yesterday despite informing you that you are anot available today, they are still insisting on attempting to collect the vehicle. You are not liable in respect of them turning up at your address as you have already warned them and requested to rearrange another date
                                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X