• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary termination of hire purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voluntary termination of hire purchase

But I assume you gave them all the relevant information on the 4/3/16 then to identify yourself yes?

Im not sure it matters much anyway you have given notice to terminate and the agreement doesn't continue until they have processed it but as soon as you give notice.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi, yes, all details needed were included when we asked to do the VT.

Comment

Bit weird. I've received two blank emails from advantage. They're either subtly reminding me they're there or their system is on the blink. I don't want to hear from them again.

Comment

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the lack of response, just to confirm that you need to write the complaint to the Ombudsman, or have you started this already?
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

No not yet. Been really busy with different things.

Comment

Received a letter from Advantage today offering me a discount. Not accepting it.

Comment

hi Michelle,

I did start writing up a complaint for the Ombudsman, are you still wanting to go down this route?
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

I think that's the best course of action as I don't believe I owe them what they say I do. Thanks.

Comment

I'll try and finalise something for the weekend
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks R0b.

Comment

Got another letter today telling me I have to contact them to discuss the "current situation of you hire purchase account". They tell me "all future correspondence will be charged at the rate of £7.50 per letter".

Do I respond and tell them I intend to complain to the ombudsman and not to write to me again until this has been done? They knew I was making a complaint. This seems to be a money making scheme or an attempt to push me in to paying what they say I owe.

Thanks
                        Last edited by Michellec80; 11th June 2016, 11:02:AM. Reason: Mistake rectified

Comment

Hi Michelle,

Not forgotten about you, just trying to juggle a few things at the same time. Will have more time on Monday for you.

Completely unreasonable and I have no idea why they think they are entitled to charge to for letters relating to a valid complaint. Won't be upheld and is definitely a penalty, potentially deemed as aggressive practices under CPUT 2008 and I think that should be added to your complaint. Can't remember who the lender is but that is a bit of an idiotic thing to say

If you can wait until Monday I can deal with this properly along with the complaint to the Omudsman.
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi R0b. I appreciate your help and understand you are busy so I can wait. No problem at all. The lender is Advantage Finance Ltd.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Michelle, draft letter to Advantage below, amend as you require. Your Ombudsman complaint will follow soon

---------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to your letter dated [DATE] concerning termination of the agreement.

I note that within your letter, you have suggested that I contact you by telephone to discuss my account but should you respond in writing, then any subsequent letters shall be charged at £7.50 per letter. I must remind you that this sort of action is considered an unfair and aggressive practice in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, which is actionable in both the criminal and civil courts. In particular, the regulations suggest that an aggressive practice is on which intimidates, exploits or restricts a consumer's ability to make free or informed choices.

You will be aware that the amount that is allegedly owed is disputed, and I fully intend on taking this matter to the Ombudsman. Your behaviour in that any further correspondence will be charged at my own expense is likely to be received as being an aggressive practice to pressure me into making some kind of payment. Please note that your letter will be forwarded to the FCA and Trading Standards as I believe that your charge of £7.50 per letter is not only unreasonable but in breach of the CPUT Regulations.

You have suggested in your email dated [DATE] that I am free to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, something which I intend on doing in due course. I shall also be enclosing as part my complaint, your letter regarding the additional charges you wish to levy for responding to me.

---------------------------------------------

Trading Standards are the authority for aggressive practices, FCA doesn't deal with single complaints but worth sending anyway as they may have done this before. Up to you whether you send a copy to them, you should be able to do both by email though.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

That's great R0b. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X