• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ownership of funds in joint bank accounts ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ownership of funds in joint bank accounts ?

When my late wife passed away in 2008, we held current and saving bank accounts in joint names. She died intestate but I was informed that joint bank accounts, presumably between spouses, revert to joint and several style ownership so there was no question that all funds became my property and all that was necessary was a death certificate to the bank to have my late wife removed from the account.

My question is however, that while I have since remarried and have a joint bank and savings account with my new wife, I hold a further current account in joint names with my daughter. The reasoning behind this was that she has mishandled her own previous account ( that was closed as a result ) and they were reluctant to grant a further account in her sole name. However, on the basis that I have an excellent banking record, the bank agreed to let her have another providing I held in jointly, to assure the bank that I would hold joint responsibility and maintain it well.

This has worked well for some years now but my worry is what would happen in the event of my death? The account obviously only holds my daughters income and expenditure ..... but in the event of my death, would the account become frozen on the basis that we are a father and daughter relationship only?
    Tags: None

Re: Ownership of funds in joint bank accounts ?

Comment

Re: Ownership of funds in joint bank accounts ?

Originally posted by Snoopy1948 View Post
      When my late wife passed away in 2008, we held current and saving bank accounts in joint names. She died intestate but I was informed that joint bank accounts, presumably between spouses, revert to joint and several style ownership so there was no question that all funds became my property and all that was necessary was a death certificate to the bank to have my late wife removed from the account.

My question is however, that while I have since remarried and have a joint bank and savings account with my new wife, I hold a further current account in joint names with my daughter. The reasoning behind this was that she has mishandled her own previous account ( that was closed as a result ) and they were reluctant to grant a further account in her sole name. However, on the basis that I have an excellent banking record, the bank agreed to let her have another providing I held in jointly, to assure the bank that I would hold joint responsibility and maintain it well.

This has worked well for some years now but my worry is what would happen in the event of my death? The account obviously only holds my daughters income and expenditure ..... but in the event of my death, would the account become frozen on the basis that we are a father and daughter relationship only?
      On your daughter's account it would revert back to her. In regards to your new joint account with your new wife then your new wife would effectively be the sole name on the account on production of death certificate. As all account are at the same bank then when the paperwork is done for your daughter/wife's account both should be done at the same time.
      It would only be frozen if it was a sole account
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X