• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help bringing small claim against caravan repairer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help bringing small claim against caravan repairer

Hi,

I'm posting on my dad's behalf.

In May 2015, he had damp repairs to his caravan done by a sole trader caravan repairer.

Fast forward to, last December, he had a damp check and inspections carried out, only to find that damp still remained and a poor repair was carried out. The repairer also provided my dad with a verbal 12 month warranty, and 12 month warranties for repairs are still stated on his website.

We sent a letter before Christmas enclosing, damp reports, and quotations, asking him to repair our caravan, or we would get another repairer to repair it, and invoice him the cost. We received no response.

As we got more and more quotes, the shocking state of the work was revealed to leave us with more complex and expensive repairs than first thought. We now have a situation where we need the money back from the rogue repairer in order to pay another repairer to bring the work up to the correct standard.

We sent a letter before action on the 5th February 2016, giving him until the 20th February to refund us for the repair, or we would take action via the small claims track.

I now really need advice on my particulars of claim. I have chosen to use MCOL online and I am limited in what I put. In saying that, the rogue repairer has all the damp reports I have done anyway so he knows what evidence we have.

I have something drafted out and wondered if anyone could check it over for me before I process the claim.

Please read below.

In May 2015, the defendant, Mr ****
    ****** of ****** Caravan Repairs carried
    out damp repairs on my Bailey Pageant Vendee
    Caravan. Following recent damp tests and
    checks, damp has been found to be still
    present in the areas he carried out repairs.
    I find the repairs to be in breach of section
    13 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act of
    1982, regarding repair work completed without
    the necessary care and skill. Mr *******
    also provided me with a verbal Twelve month
    warranty, so by ignoring my attempts of
    contacting him he is breach of contract,
    on the promise he made. I have made several
    unsuccessful attempts over the telephone and
    in writing to contact Mr ***** since
    finding problems with the repair. I sent Mr
    ******* a letter dated 5th February 2016,
    giving him until the 20th February 2016 to
    send me a refund, and I haven't a received a
    response. I am requesting a full refund of
    £1600.00 so I can commence with the necessary
    repairs needed to my Caravan.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Help bringing small claim against caravan repairer

I can help you with this in the next hour or so, but in the meantime some initial points to note:

- Presuming this was an oral agreement start with something like "By an oral agreement between the Claimant and the Defendant on [DATE], the Defendant carried out ...

- Change " I " to the Claimant

- You are entitled to interest at a rate of 8% per annum, you may wish to consider including this

- Take a screenshot of the website stating that it offers a 12 month warranty. If you have a phone or software which can timestamp the photograph even better this can be used as evidence

I can tidy the rest up for you later
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks very much rob. Much appreciated..
      I did before Christmas print out a copy of the website stating the warranty, dated at the bottom. I'll see if my dad can take a screenshot of the website again later., if we can't then would the print out do?

Be back online later.
      Mark
      Last edited by baggyboy; 24th February 2016, 17:41:PM.

Comment

1. By an oral agreement on or around May 2015, the Defendant in the course of his business agreed to carry out damp repairs the Claimant's vehicle at a cost of £ .

2. The agreement included an express term that the damp repairs would be warranted for a period of 12 months and it was an implied term that the Defendant would repair the vehicle with reasonable skill and care.

3. In performance of the agreement, the Defendant carried out repairs to the vehicle in May 2015. Following the Defendant's repairs, damp tests revealed further damp which was present on or around the areas repaired by the Defendant.

4. The Claimant attempted on several occasions to contact the Defendant to arrange further repairs however the Claimant has been unsuccessful.

5. In breach of the express and implied terms above, the Defendant has failed to repair the vehicle in accordance with the warranty period and/or failed to carry out the required repairs with reasonable skill and care.

6. As a result of the matters set out above, the Claimant has suffered loss and damage.

7. The Claimant also claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 on damages due to the Claimant at a rate and for the period that the Court decides is appropriate.

AND the Claimant claims:
        (1) £1,600 in damages
        (2) interest under
        section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 to be assessed.

------------------------------------------------

The above should do, little formal but should set out clearly your agreement and how they have breached it. Not sure if that will all fit on the MCOL claim if not you can just amalgamate some of the numbered points together to fit it in there.
        Last edited by R0b; 24th February 2016, 19:10:PM.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Imho

Before I would claim via court, I would try & make some 'enquiries' as to the state of the prospective defendant's finances.

If he/she is potless, I don't think I'd bother.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I've taken on board your comments, and adjusted the particulars as below.

Something to note, my dad dropped his caravan off at the defendants business premises on 12th May and paid a deposit, but the work wasn't completed until 20th May, when he paid the balance outstanding..

I'm using MCOL online, and they restrict you to the amount of lines and characters, so we were going to not claim interest, and use the extra space to put a strong case across. However, if you feel you can trim down what I have put, and think we are within our rights to claim interest, then I will do so.

I thought that if perhaps, if my dad had to have repairs carried out earlier and incurred a loss that way, then, it would be ok to claim interest.

Can we also claim back damp report costs, quotation costs, postage costs etc... It's cost my dad an awful lot, not taking into account the mobile phone bill.

By oral agreement on 12th May 2015,
            the Defendant carried out repairs on
            the claimant's Bailey Pageant Vendee
            Caravan. Following recent damp tests and
            checks, damp has been found to be still
            present in the areas the defendant carried out repairs.
            The claimant finds the repairs to be in breach of section
            13 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act of
            1982, regarding repair work completed without
            the necessary care and skill. The Defendant
            also provided the claimant with an oral Twelve month
            warranty when the claimant collected his caravan on
            completion on 20th May 2015,
            so by ignoring the claimant's attempts of
            contacting him, the defendant is in breach of contract,
            on the promise he made. The claimant has made several
            unsuccessful attempts over the telephone and
            in writing to contact the Defendant since
            finding problems with the repair. The claimant sent
            the defendant a letter dated 5th February 2016,
            giving him until the 20th February 2016 to
            send him a refund, and he hasn't received a
            response. The claimant is requesting a full refund of
            £1600.00 so he can commence with the necessary
            repairs needed to his Caravan.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            Imho

Before I would claim via court, I would try & make some 'enquiries' as to the state of the prospective defendant's finances.

Thanks very much.. I have already done that via the land registry, and he does jointly own his home with his wife.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Imho

Yes, I forgot to mention that, and also the address of the defendant. You need to reasonably ascertain that he is living at the address you are going to be sending the claim form to, so if the website stipulates an address make sure he is still resident there. As he is a sole trader, the address can be the place of business or his home address.

You should be making the claim against the individual as well as the trading name
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks very much Rob. That looks great,, Need I change the word "vehicle" to "caravan" or is just vehicle ok? Turns out our posts crossed..

I just hope I can squeeze it all on MCOL now.. I'll be back online later and enter it on MCOL to find out.

Comment

What was the method of payment?

Receipt?
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I do know his home address, but am sending the claim to his business premises.

For example I have put: Joe
                    Bloggs T/A
                    The Bad Caravan Repair Co.

Comment

Originally posted by baggyboy View Post
                      Thanks very much Rob. That looks great,, Need I change the word "vehicle" to "caravan" or is just vehicle ok? Turns out our posts crossed..

I just hope I can squeeze it all on MCOL now.. I'll be back online later and enter it on MCOL to find out.
                      I'd say a caravan is a vehicle with wheels but sure you can replace vehicle with caravan to be precise.

For example I have put: Joe
                      Bloggs T/A
                      The Bad Caravan Repair Co.
                      That's fine
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

I do know his home address, but am sending the claim to his business premises. As I far as I am aware he still trades from there. However, my dad has heard because of the complaints over his work, he was considering moving on.

For this reason I am putting for example: Joe Bloggs T/A The Bad Caravan Repair Company.

Payment was made in Cash. My dad does have an invoice stating the amount he paid yes.

Thanks for all the advice, i'll be back online later.

If he defends the case, we are going to ask the court if we can get an expert's opinion on the caravan.. We have it on good authority that it's a right bodge job.

Cheers
                        Mark
                        Last edited by baggyboy; 24th February 2016, 19:38:PM.

Comment

Ok Rob,

I couldn't squeeze the bit on about interest unfortunately. I'm nowhere near close, so just amalgamating the numbered points, wouldn't make an awful lot of difference.

I have also left no space in between the final numbered point at the bottom and the line that reads "and the claimant claims £..." but it's on there so that's one thing.

Looks like forgetting about the interest then.. I do know that I can submit extra particulars, but it seems to me like there's a lot of work involved. The added point is, I can't see the defendant responding anyway, so I could be wasting my time spending more time and effort in adding and getting the particulars more accurate.

Thanks again Rob.. I'll leave it an hour to see what you think before submitting.

Comment

Does MCOL add the interest bit on for you at the end or make you do it within the character limit?
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

[QUOTE=Amethyst;626168]Does MCOL add the interest bit on for you at the end or make you do it within the character limit?[/QUO

As soon as I tick "I want to include interest" that trims 6 lines off the particulars box.. and I lose what I have put on those 6 lines. It's unfair how it reduces the space like that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X