• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marston threatening locksmith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marston threatening locksmith

Hello!

It's about a Magistrate's Court fine. I am willing to pay it and have transfered a part of the outstanding amount but the bailiff says he can't accept instalments. Instead, he said, they are going to be back with a locksmith and an "enforcement team". I am obviously panicking now. I live in a rented apartment that was let fully furnished, so I own almost nothing inside. I wasn't home when the bailiff visited the first two times and it's unlikely I will be in next time, he also refuses to give me a time and date of the next visit.
    My questions are:
    1. What can they seize in my absence?
    2. Should I write to them and let them know that the furnishings aren't mine?
    3. Maybe do the same to the court?

Thanks everybody!
    Tags: None

Re: Marston threatening locksmith

Originally posted by Olli1909 View Post
    Hello!

It's about a Magistrate's Court fine. I am willing to pay it and have transfered a part of the outstanding amount but the bailiff says he can't accept instalments. Instead, he said, they are going to be back with a locksmith and an "enforcement team". I am obviously panicking now. I live in a rented apartment that was let fully furnished, so I own almost nothing inside. I wasn't home when the bailiff visited the first two times and it's unlikely I will be in next time, he also refuses to give me a time and date of the next visit.
    My questions are:
    1. What can they seize in my absence?
    2. Should I write to them and let them know that the furnishings aren't mine?
    3. Maybe do the same to the court?

Thanks everybody!
    Unfortunately as it is a Court fine it does carry the power of forced entry. But he may only seize the goods that belong to the debtor - does your tenancy agreement show the premises are let fully furnished & do you have a copy of the inventory? If you have this then ensure you keep a copy handy & it certainly won't do any harm to send a copy to the Court - just make sure the copy for the Bailiff reflects this so he is aware. You say you want to pay in instalments - how many - the reason for refusal will be that you have not paid the fine to start with and only want to pay now they are involved.

Did you receive a Notice of Enforcement - is this when you responded or have they made a visit?

Comment

Hello!
      He has visited twice but I wasn't present at both occasions, so he left the 'Notice of Removal' letter at the door. I asked via text if I could pay in 2 instalments over 3 weeks, that was refused. I have made an online payment nonetheless, just to show my willingness to actually pay the fine and obviously to pay it off as soon as possible.

My biggest worry is at the moment that they break into the apartment while I am away and take goods that aren't mine. I do have the inventory though.

Comment

I have not received a "Notice of Enforcement". Or is that the "Notice of Removal"?
        Also, I've read that it does make a difference if the amount of the actual fine has been paid, is that correct? I don't want to avoid paying the fees but if it gave me a bit more time, that'd be extremely helpful. And last but not least, who should I pay? Marstons or the court directly?

Comment

Not sure where you have been reading up on what happens but if you pay the Court then they in all likelihood will pass that on to the Bailiffs who will retain some as their fees meaning you would still have a balance to pay.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X