• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Carer being granted Power of Attorney - and 1st executor in a will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carer being granted Power of Attorney - and 1st executor in a will

Originally posted by mariefab View Post
    The Residuary Estate is whatever remains after all specific gifts are made (on page 2 perhaps) and all debts, taxes, admin, probate and court costs are paid.
    No that is incorrect as the residue includes where the will's gifts fails. It is whatever remains also but it normally applies where you are successor interests or interests in remainder. The lawyer is saying if the executor did not perform their role then residue passes to the interest in remainder. I do not agree with that as that was not the intention of the will maker.

Comment

Can you explain that in laymans terms.

It sounds like you are agreeing with MarieFab, in that the residuary estate is what is left after everything has been dealt with.

A residuary estate, in the law of wills, is any portion of the testator's estate that is not specifically devised to someone in the will, or any property that is part of such a specific devise that fails.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Shane1104 View Post
        the "Residuary Estate" is to be passed to Janet (The Carer) otherwise, to Cancer Research

So if she relinquishes her duties as executor, the estate is still left to her?

so worst case scenario - she relinquishes all duties - gets all the money - refuses to pay for the funeral?

Could that happen?
        Hi Shane

You never quoted me so I did not know you made further posts.

If the executor would not follow her responsibilities, technically she could claim the gifts for herself. However this is where the gifts fail likely owing to no fault of her own. If she kept the gifts, you likely could sue her (claim in personam) and claim all the assets (claim in rem). There is tested case law in the executor's keeping the gifts for their self where there were intended beneficiaries. Where the estate's gifts were not carried out or partially carried out it is likely to come under the intestacy rules, at common law (case law).

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
          Hi Shane

You never quoted me so I did not know you made further posts.

If the executor would not follow her responsibilities, technically she could claim the gifts for herself. However this is where the gifts fail likely owing to no fault of her own. If she kept the gifts, you likely could sue her (claim in personam) and claim all the assets (claim in rem). There is tested case law in the executor's keeping the gifts for their self where there were intended beneficiaries. Where the estate's gifts were not carried out or partially carried out it is likely to come under the intestacy rules, at common law (case law).
          Post 14 is an update on the way things are now, if you read that you will see you are posting pointlessly and confusing matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Can you explain that in laymans terms.

It sounds like you are agreeing with MarieFab, in that the residuary estate is what is left after everything has been dealt with.
            "A residuary estate, in the law of wills, is any portion of the testator's estate that is not specifically devised to someone in the will, or any property that is part of such a specific devise that fails."

The residue estate applies where there are say one set of beneficiaries versus another set, ie one or more charities. If the gifts were intended for the first set of beneficiaries but failed, the gifts pass to the charities, ie the remaining (remainder)/ what's left. However, if all the appointed beneficiaries decided they would retire from their duties, the estate does not pass to that charity as the lawyer unhelpfully said. What happens is that the intestacy rules will apply either partially or fully.

NB: Failed gift like means one that did not satisfy the formalities required for law, so equity (another form of remedy in the courts, but not strictly law, it's discretionary) steps in to help in certain situations.
            Last edited by Openlaw15; 21st February 2016, 09:03:AM.

Comment

Okay so if all named beneficiaries under a will refused then intestacy rules would kick in? Are the charity not a named beneficiary then ? ( if the will states along the lines of ' everything to go to Jeff, but if he doesn't want it it should go to Charity A' )

Obviously we only have that front page of the will so don't know how it is worded, so theoretically only.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Okay so if all named beneficiaries under a will refused then intestacy rules would kick in? Are the charity not a named beneficiary then ? ( if the will states along the lines of ' everything to go to Jeff, but if he doesn't want it it should go to Charity A' )

Obviously we only have that front page of the will so don't know how it is worded, so theoretically only.
                It is a different situation where the beneficiaries have a choice to accept their gift but choose not to. It is a gift so there is no condition attached. Only if the gifts fail (owing to not meeting formalities, ie not in writing for property, or other exceptions) then it will go to charity unless the executor can satisfy the common law rules to claim it their self for the intended beneficiaries. A charity will be named in the will normally unless it is was a secret (secret trust etc), which the testator is entitled to do.

NB: The intestacy rules crop up where there was either no will or where there was a will but for some reason the testator's terms were not carried out (executed), meaning all the gifts have not passed to intended beneficiaries. The situation where this like applies is all appointed executors refuse their duties.
                Last edited by Openlaw15; 21st February 2016, 09:19:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                  Post 14 is an update on the way things are now, if you read that you will see you are posting pointlessly and confusing matters.
                  I was merely trying to put the OP at ease by explaining beneficiary rights in complex situations affecting executors.

Comment

NB: Sharon, private message me with the current details of the 'beneficiary situation. I may be able to help if you're still having problems.

Comment

Thanks, no I'm only talking about in this specific case.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks all for the replies! gonna try to get a copy of the full will uploaded today.

Few things since i last posted

An Independent Solicitor has viewed the will now - states it's a very poor will, very hard to interpret
                        Has asked us to request to see the Will writers notes from the day the will was signed - as the carer won't disclose why she was chosen to be "executor"

can it be considered a conflict of interest if a carer accepts to be beneficiary? as she is being paid to care for the person?

there are multiples of cash withdrawals on the bank statements (£200 - £300 per week) when my partners granddad was unable to move, let alone go to a cash point.

when the carer was asked these questions - she was defensive - and simply said "i was asked to get it" all the bills were paid by DD - nothing was paid in cash - and there is no cash in the house - so when asked where the money went she "didn't know"

it was then revealed in 2012 - she left her job as a carer - but continued to visit partners GD as a carer - i can only presume in a personal capacity - as she was no longer employed as a carer.

there just seems to be a whole load of issues and discrepancies throughout this - making it very hard for my partners granddad to mourn when he feels there is foul play

Comment

Thanks all for the replies! gonna try to get a copy of the full will uploaded today.

Few things since i last posted

An Independent Solicitor has viewed the will now - states it's a very poor will, very hard to interpret
                          Has asked us to request to see the Will writers notes from the day the will was signed - as the carer won't disclose why she was chosen to be "executor"

can it be considered a conflict of interest if a carer accepts to be beneficiary? as she is being paid to care for the person?

Any person can be a beneficiary as long as they have not unduly influenced the testator, in which case any gifts they were meant to receive would fail (ie not receive them).

there are multiples of cash withdrawals on the bank statements (£200 - £300 per week) when my partners granddad was unable to move, let alone go to a cash point.

Did she have power of attorney (to legally act on their half), ie deal with the finances?

when the carer was asked these questions - she was defensive - and simply said "i was asked to get it" all the bills were paid by DD - nothing was paid in cash - and there is no cash in the house - so when asked where the money went she "didn't know"

it was then revealed in 2012 - she left her job as a carer - but continued to visit partners GD as a carer - i can only presume in a personal capacity - as she was no longer employed as a carer.

there just seems to be a whole load of issues and discrepancies throughout this - making it very hard for my partners granddad to mourn when he feels there is foul play
                          I'll look at the full will before I make any comments about the will itself.

If the carer misappropriated (spends without consent) funds it is a criminal offence.
                          Last edited by Openlaw15; 22nd February 2016, 12:24:PM.

Comment

The carer had power of attorney ? If so then you should ring the OPG they can advise you if you have concerns of wrong doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                              I'll look at the full will before I make any comments about the will itself.

If the carer misappropriated (spends without consent) funds it is a criminal offence.

i apologise for the poor quality of page 2 - as the actual will is now with the chief executor - and we didnt think to take a copy!

it does however state: I Give to my Son "**********" free of all taxes all my household contents

Definition of my estate

In my will where the context/content as admits "My Estate" shall mean

All my property of every kind wherever situated

All My property of every kind wherever situated over which i have a general power of appointment

The money investments and property from time to time representing all such property

Administration of my estate:

My trustees shall hold the residue of my Estate upon trust to retain, postpone sale or sell it and will

Pay any debt, funeral and testementary expenses

satisfy all gifts of specified property referred to in my will

http://imgur.com/a/79LGX

Comment

i apologise for the poor quality of page 2 - as the actual will is now with the chief executor - and we didnt think to take a copy!

it does however state: I Give to my Son "**********" free of all taxes all my household contents

Definition of my estate

In my will where the context/content as admits "My Estate" shall mean

All my property of every kind wherever situated

All My property of every kind wherever situated over which i have a general power of appointment

The money investments and property from time to time representing all such property

Administration of my estate:

My trustees shall hold the residue of my Estate upon trust to retain, postpone sale or sell it and will

Pay any debt, funeral and testementary expenses

satisfy all gifts of specified property referred to in my will

http://imgur.com/a/79LGX
                                Update:

There are two competing interest for the estate, either Janet or Cancer Research UK, according to the will.

Testamentary capacity test (deals with the mind's faculties)

Before a will can be legally valid, the deceased person must be of the right mind, so the courts do a test called testamentary capacity, in addition to the writing of the will. If the granddad did not have testamentary capacity, the will is not valid.

How old was your partner's granddad when Janet (the Carer/ appointed executor) first came to work for him as his carer. How long was she his carer? What was the state of his health/ mind when Janet came to work for him, did his health/ mind deteriorate at any point during Janet's employment when the granddad may have been in a position to be influenced, ie would it have taken much to cause him to be put under so much pressure that 'for a quiet life' he would appoint Janet his executor and gift her everything?

Thanks for this Shane. If the carer was not given power of attorney it's likely she is committing theft. If the entire estate has been left to the Carer as there seem to be problems with her, my next question would be the details of the will itself, ie has the carer unduly influenced the deceased person?
                                Last edited by Openlaw15; 25th February 2016, 11:02:AM. Reason: added

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X