• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Training Costs Repayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Costs Repayment

Hi,

I am leaving my current company due to stress and depression. My contract states that I have to pay my commission back, this is fine. It also says that training costs will be recovered. However I was CeMap qualified already so there were no costs. They are trying to get me to pay hotel costs for an internal training cost they sent me on. The contract just says training costs. Any advice as to whether or not this would be enforceable in terms of the hotel costs would be great? If it is am I within my rights to pay this monthly rather than in one go? Basically I don't have the lump sum that they are looking for.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Training Costs Repayment

What exactly does it say in your contract about recovering training costs?
    Did you sign a seperate document agreeing to permit them to recover hotel costs?

Comment

Hi, the contract says training costs which I will post up. Nothing separate for the hotel costs at all. Others have paid it previously so I'm wondering if this sets a precedent.

- - - Updated - - -

Training and Development
      The company is committed to the training and development of its staff throughout their employment with a clear promotion path available. As part of your conditions of employment, you will be subject to the company’s Training and Competency scheme and will also be required to adhere to all Compliance Directives at all times. In addition you will be required to hold the relevant qualifications appropriate to your role. If you do not hold relevant qualifications then these must be achieved within 3 months of you commencing this role. Full support and assistance will be provided in this respect.
      In view of the high standard and cost of all training required to achieve recognised mortgage advisor status, the company will seek a reimbursement of up to £2,000 as a contribution towards the training costs incurred should your employment be terminated either by yourself or the company for whatever reason within 18 months of you commencing this role. This will be deducted from any outstanding monies due to you at the time of your resignation or the termination of your employment. Should there be insufficient monies due to you from which to deduct this contribution towards the company’s training costs then you will be required to repay any outstanding amount in full prior to your last working day or the end of your notice period whichever is the later.
      If your employment is terminated either by yourself or the company for whatever reason during the training period or up to and including 6 months after the completion of the training, you will be required to repay the full cost of the training, subject to a maximum cost of £2,000.
      Following this initial period, the company operates a sliding repayment scale, so that the amount that the employee is required to repay is reduced by one quarter at 6 monthly intervals as detailed below. Once the employee has completed 18 months service, there will be no repayment applicable.

- - - Updated - - -

This is from the contract

Comment

Was the training compulsory?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The training was compulsory as this is their training course they insist on before they put me in front of clients.

Comment

In-house or other? (ie what were the details of the course?)
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The course was a 2 week residential course. It was all internal with no material provided except for one work book

Comment

Nationally recognised qualification?
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Did the training you undertook lead to a higher level qualification than the one you already held before you worked there?

Comment

No extra qualifications at all. Just to say for their internal procedures I can see clients

- - - Updated - - -

I already had my CeMap qualification so this wasn't paid for by the company.

Comment

'In view of the high standard and cost of all training required to achieve recognised mortgage advisor status, the company will seek a reimbursement of up to £2,000 as a contribution towards the training costs incurred'

This part ^ is their rationale for recovering the costs.
                      You'd already gained the qualification and achieved recognised mortgage advisor status before you started working for them. So, they incurred no relevant training costs.

There's nothing in the clause you quoted that suggests that they can recoup hotel costs for internal training.

Comment

Hi, I haven't achieved Recognised mortgage adviser status with this company I am still pre-rma. My Cemap I paid for myself previously. What would I need to do to challenge this? As you say there is nothing about hotel costs involved in the contract? Is an employer then able to place a default on your file?

Comment

So, did you just do CeMap1?
                          Do you still have the workbook they provided?

Comment

No I had full Cemap from a previous job. About 4 years prior to taking this job I completed full CeMap. This company have had nothing to do with my CeMap at all.

Comment

So, you'd already undertaken CeMap3 at a previous job?
                              I'm asking these questions because of the 'recognised mortgage advisor status' in the clause.
                              A quick google shows that there are a few different qualifications that are accepted in your industry as fulfilling that requirement, including CeMap 3.
                              Did your recent employer start you on a different qualification during that 2 week course?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X