• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Living abroad and need help with Advantis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living abroad and need help with Advantis

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on the best way to deal with this.
    I moved abroad in 2012 and brought my car over in 2013. It was sorned then taxed. I drove it over with 6 months tax, then it expired. I know i should have told DVLA, but i was going through other stuff in my life and i was also having to deal with traffic police and bureaucracy over in my new country. I exported the car officially (after a very long and stressful process) in April last year. It always had insurance up until it was exported. As i didn't need to tell the DVLA when moving abroad, (as is stated on the website) I hadn't. So I assume they sent tax reminders to my old house, which was sold.

A few weeks ago, I received a letter from Advantis Credit asking me to call a number and confirm i lived at the address. (My parents'). I didn't acknowledge it. Now I have a letter saying I owe the DVLA £80 for a late licencing penalty. It gives no dates or anything. I was ready to pay it because i know i should have taxed or notified the DVLA. As I sold my house, i have no idea if the DVLA have tried to contact me in the past. I went online recently and looked up my car details for the UK reg plate and it says 'No tax' and the date and 'no MOT' and the date. I am concerned because surely it should say the car was exported too.

Does the fact that Advantis have told me the DVLA is the client and that it is for a late licencing penalty mean that i can't send a prove it letter for specifics?

If i pay the fine, am i still liable for the road tax owed, or does the fine wipe it off?

I am worried that if i pay it, because i don't know when the time period is from, they can claim i still owe the DVLA other stuff (as technically i guess i owe 1 year and 4 months tax or thereabouts, even though i wasn't driving on British roads, and £80 seems pretty 'reasonable' compared to the tax.) I have heard they chase nonexistent debts too, so I don't want to cop to this and then have them hassle me for evermore.

I tried to get further details from the DVLA but as it has been forwarded to Advantis, they just instruct people to pay Advantis or dispute it to Advantis. I want to write to the DVLA and confirm they received my export notice, but i don't want to open a can of worms. But then if they don't have a record of my export, I might get penalties for 2015 onwards. This kind of thing really stresses me out and my dad also (he would be receiving the letters). so I want it dealing with if possible, as it's my last link the the UK, but i don't want to pay £80 if i don't need to.

What's the best way to proceed? The 2nd letter arrived about 2/3 days ago.
    Tags: None

Re: Living abroad and need help with Advantis

Can anyone clarify if i can still send a prove it letter to find out specific time periods the money is owed from, or whether the fact that they have told me i owe £80 from a late licencing penalty means that they don't have to give specifics?

And also, if i pay the fine, can they hassle me for backdated car tax or not?

Any info gratefully received.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X