• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed urgently please - legal matter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice needed urgently please - legal matter

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
    The individual concerned had " retained" some £2k of funds at home, I was made aware of the problem when
    a trader informed that a cheque had been returned unpaid.
    Discussion with the head and a senior governor after which we invited the person to attend a meeting where
    the person would be required to explain the events ( 0n the advice of the Charity Commissioners I had informed
    police and obtained an incident number.

The explanation give was " been too busy !" "post office was closed" " I've got all the money at home "

bearing mind that £ 700 was £1 coins and small change I asked for the money to be brought to me at
    the school by 12 noon that day. This did not happen however the bank phoned me to tell me that £2k

had been deposited in large denomination notes.

We conclude that this person was not to hold any office within the school a vote decided no police action

nem
    Well the main thing in your situation is that you got the funds back from the person. Yes when I was asked to return the funds I did immediately. I was honest and said I had the money at home and they offered to collect it but I was already at the school gates with the kids. Took kids to school and went straight back with it.
    The vote held must have been for the police investigation to be carried out in this case, as it was reported after the event. I would say that there was at least a 2 week gap in them bringing it to my attention and then them getting the police involved.

I will just have to wait and see what happens but I'm hoping that the age old saying of no news is good news Comes into play here!

Thanks again for replying and explaining your situation.

I just wish that the head followed her own advice. She has told me she doesn't think I've stolen or committed fraud so I don't understand the situation at all. I suspect she is trying to cover her own back to ensure the finger can't be pointed at her, as she has still acted normally towards me the hand full of times I've seen her but she doesn't have a very large presence in the playground etc normally so it's not out of the ordinary

Comment

Now I'm spinning into paranoid overdrive!!
      I've collected the children from school and the local pcso was coming out of the school with the head of the parent governors. As you can imagine, I am sat here thinking when is the knock on the door coming!
      I'm just worried for my children more than myself right now, as I do not want them having to see me in a state or speaking with a police man etc. My oldest child would tell anyone who would listen that he was here and also would most certainly not sit still and let me talk to him without thinking the worst or trying to join in the conversation. I'm one floor so I couldn't even say go in your bedroom whilst we talk etc.
      Am I just going into overdrive here? He didn't leave with anything that I would say is evidence - he didn't have a bag,folder, file etc that could contain the accounts. Please someone tell me I'm going insane and that I need to calm down or something, anything!

Comment

The PCSO could be at school for any number of reasons, they are always at my kids school. And it wouldn't be a PCSO come sees you anyway even if anyone was going to.

As you are so stressed about this why don't you contact your local police station and explain what's happened, that you are worried and maybe you could go in and speak to them rather than waiting for them to come round.... they may just be able to put your mind at rest.

( and yes you are going into overdrive)
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes that's what I'm thinking it could be. And I am preying it was lol. Even so I would have thought if he was taking statements that he would need to pass them onto an investigating officer and that won't happen over night. I am sure they have far more urgent cases than this going on right now - but perhaps that just me hoping for the best!
          I am going to try and speak with the head teacher on Monday face to face and go from there/ I think that might be my bet option, as I want to know what I am been accused of because no one has actually told me that and she hasn't come right out and accused me or anyone else of anything!
          Thank you for replying so fast! As you can tell I am a worrier always have been and always will be! I just need to getting and calm down and think about it . My little girl wants to play monopoly and the thought of that makes me sick!! I think anything to do with money will do for a longtime to come!

Comment

lol, the thought of playing Monopoly with my kids makes me feel quite unwell too.... argumentative little capitalists as they are.

Seriously though, try and stop worrying, you have done nothing wrong, just been a bit crap at the accounts and that's not a crime.

If you are worried then give the police a call and see if you can chat with them about it. They might be a bit bemused but they will understand how stressed you are feeling and might be able to set your mind at rest, or at least give you some idea of what's happening ( if anything)
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              lol, the thought of playing Monopoly with my kids makes me feel quite unwell too.... argumentative little capitalists as they are.

Seriously though, try and stop worrying, you have done nothing wrong, just been a bit crap at the accounts and that's not a crime.

If you are worried then give the police a call and see if you can chat with them about it. They might be a bit bemused but they will understand how stressed you are feeling and might be able to set your mind at rest, or at least give you some idea of what's happening ( if anything)
              I will give it some serious thought about contacting them on Monday when the children aren't here. They don't leave me alone! I have one either side of me right now having a cuddle!
              Yes I haven't done anything wrong and I am just preying that the police see this and will drop the case with no further action.
              It just troubles me that the head seems to be refusing to communicate with me now. In fairness she did say she would let me know if she hears anythinf but I was thinking after at least 5 days of her reporting it she should have heard something. I was thinking perhaps she just doesn't know what to say to me and perhaps has been advised not to tell me anything.
              I did think she was a lovely lady but I think I had my judgement a little out there ha

I hate the game! I wish I never bought it's
              Thank you again for been there for me xx

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                The individual concerned had " retained" some £2k of funds at home, I was made aware of the problem when
                a trader informed that a cheque had been returned unpaid.
                Discussion with the head and a senior governor after which we invited the person to attend a meeting where
                the person would be required to explain the events ( 0n the advice of the Charity Commissioners I had informed
                police and obtained an incident number.

The explanation give was " been too busy !" "post office was closed" " I've got all the money at home "

bearing mind that £ 700 was £1 coins and small change I asked for the money to be brought to me at
                the school by 12 noon that day. This did not happen however the bank phoned me to tell me that £2k

had been deposited in large denomination notes.

We conclude that this person was not to hold any office within the school a vote decided no police action

nem
                For theft, unless the Criminal Attempts Act applies and there was no defence ie did not go too far (ie preparation point versus point of no return) ie changed mind at the last minute, there must be an intention to permanently deprive. Did the school genuinely believe it was a criminal attempt?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrified please help me View Post
                  Now I'm spinning into paranoid overdrive!!
                  I've collected the children from school and the local pcso was coming out of the school with the head of the parent governors. As you can imagine, I am sat here thinking when is the knock on the door coming!
                  I'm just worried for my children more than myself right now, as I do not want them having to see me in a state or speaking with a police man etc. My oldest child would tell anyone who would listen that he was here and also would most certainly not sit still and let me talk to him without thinking the worst or trying to join in the conversation. I'm one floor so I couldn't even say go in your bedroom whilst we talk etc.
                  Am I just going into overdrive here? He didn't leave with anything that I would say is evidence - he didn't have a bag,folder, file etc that could contain the accounts. Please someone tell me I'm going insane and that I need to calm down or something, anything!
                  You were not dishonest at all...in crim law, theft/ property type offences for dishonesty are 1) ordinary people would need to see what you did as dishonest and 2), you knew it was dishonest: Ghosh tests. In addition, there must also be the criminal act itself: the actus reus, and intention, ie guilty mind or mens rea. Ordinary people did not see what you did as dishonest ie Amethysts etc would be the ordinary people. The court would not believe that you believed what you did was dishonest. I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                    For theft, unless the Criminal Attempts Act applies and there was no defence ie did not go too far (ie preparation point versus point of no return) ie changed mind at the last minute, there must be an intention to permanently deprive. Did the school genuinely believe it was a criminal attempt?
                    This wasn't my question i asked someone who had dealt with a similar situation to me what had happened when they encounted it.

Do you know open law how long the police investigation is likely to take in this matter and if/when I could be questioned. I am supposed to be looking after a family member tomorrow, tomorrow night and Sunday and I'm not sure if to cancel because she's a baby and I don't want the police to becoming with an arrest warrent and me having to arrange childcare for 3 children! Or am I once again looking far too much into this situation!

Comment

NO ONE IS GOING TO COME AND ARREST YOU !!!!!

Honestly honey, stop stressing or you'll make yourself poorly. The Head has reported to the police as procedure to get a crime ref to cover her own back. Ring the police tmw when you get a few spare minutes xxx
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

THANKYOU!
                        Just really worried and stressed and all over and emotional and clearly again worrying; over worrying and creating a problem that perhaps isn't even there.
                        How long was it before the police came to speak to you after the alleged crime?
                        I've a baby tomorrow I doubt I will get much free time ha! Very clingy and needs constant attention!
                        But i will phone them on Monday morning once the children have been taken to school!

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                          You were not dishonest at all...in crim law, theft/ property type offences for dishonesty are 1) ordinary people would need to see what you did as dishonest and 2), you knew it was dishonest: Ghosh tests. In addition, there must also be the criminal act itself: the actus reus, and intention, ie guilty mind or mens rea. Ordinary people did not see what you did as dishonest ie Amethysts etc would be the ordinary people. The court would not believe that you believed what you did was dishonest. I hope this puts your mind at rest.
                          Yes it does THANKYOU!
                          I am presuming that due to the comments that have been left here that people can clearly see I wasn't intentionally doing something wrong! Fingers crossed that is how the police will see this and they will decide that they can't take the matter further.
                          I don't think that there will be any evidence of anything, because I haven't actually done anything wrong. The head has always maintained that she will cover her own back at all costs and is not willing to cover up for anyone or let things slide when it comes to money

Comment

Originally posted by Terrified please help me View Post
                            THANKYOU!
                            Just really worried and stressed and all over and emotional and clearly again worrying; over worrying and creating a problem that perhaps isn't even there.
                            How long was it before the police came to speak to you after the alleged crime?
                            I've a baby tomorrow I doubt I will get much free time ha! Very clingy and needs constant attention!
                            But i will phone them on Monday morning once the children have been taken to school!

With me, they came pretty much straight away my neighbour reported me.... bitch lol.

Just don't spend your weekend on tentpegs worrying about every knock at the door OKAY ???
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              With me, they came pretty much straight away my neighbour reported me.... bitch lol.

Just don't spend your weekend on tentpegs worrying about every knock at the door OKAY ???
                              Haha at least you were proved to be innocent! That's the main thing but I bet it was a scary time for you!
                              No I'm not going to. I'm going to listen to all of your advice and I am going to put it to the back of my mind until Monday! I haven't taken anything and I think I need to remember that and forget about the what ifs!! The head is rude for not replying to me and I've accepted that. I don't think she knows what to say to me in all honesty and I have allowed our personal relationship to cloud my judgement and how I feel! I still have teachers on my social media accounts for god sakes!! I would have thought that if this was a full blown criminal investigation that they would all know and remove me from there - the head and the head of governors certainly did! And breathe!

Comment

Yeah! Managed 6 hours sleep that wasn't disturbed! I feel much better this morning and whilst the feeling hasn't gone completely, it has started to ease a lot! I no longer feel on the verge of a heart attack!
                                I will have my mind occupied today with the baby and my children so hoping to be too busy this weekend to even give it a second thought!
                                It's just a scary time waiting for the police to come and question me - well that's if they do!
                                I read so many stories on line and about people having their bank accounts frozen and whatever and I just panicked well and truly! Now I have come to realise that the crime was reported at the latest on Monday before lunch time. If I was suspected of something serious such as fraud/embezzlement I would most likely have been questioned within the matter of hours and my property searched - which is what I was worried about! I guess I was worried about this more than anything because I scared myself with reading stories online on other PTA members who have been charged. In all honesty, they have all admitted to doing something wrong, have produced fraudulent documents etc - I haven't because I haven't done anything wrong. Just been negligent and perhaps its breach of trust, which i am led to believe is a civil matter.
                                Thanks everyone who has commented and replied it has really helped me get thru the last few days and I am really keeping everything crossed that this case will be dropped before i am even questioned, as my friend suspects it will be. She has said the police do not have time to waste on such small matters and there is no way that I will be arrested for this because there is not any evidence of wrong doing, just dishonesty from my part when I have said I would bank money and didn't - but this was never ever checked until recently.
                                You guys don't think I'm guilty and I have been completely honest about everything
                                So let's keep everything crossed!!
                                Thanks xxxx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X