• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Insurance Claim Against Me for less than £30 Damage. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance Claim Against Me for less than £30 Damage. Help!

Hi All,

My wife went shopping yesterday and accidentally scraped another parked car very slightly. She left a note with her phone number, hoping to arrange to pay any repair costs directly, but when she came back to her car, found a very angry Romanian man waiting for her, who started screaming at her for scraping his (already incredibly banged up, dented, 15 year old) VW Golf. She had left her number and details with the intention of paying for any damage directly instead of going through our insurance companies, but the guy kept screaming and demanded her insurance details (which I'm sure he has a right to do?) which she gave him... She came home today to a voicemail from Admiral stating that someone was making a claim against her and to call them to discuss.

I wanted to ask a few questions here before we call them back and so here goes:

1. Is there anyway still to avoid going through insurance? We are more than happy to pay for the damage directly but do not have any contact details for the claimant, who has already been in contact with our insurance company.

2. The damage to his car was absolutely minimal, £50 repair cost at an absolute maximum, and our insurance excess is £250... If this claim goes through, are we likely to have to pay this full excess, even though the repair cost will be substantially less and even though we are more than happy to pay this directly?

3. If this does go through insurance and the claim is successful, how much is our premium likely to increase by (%) when we renew, and will the fact that the damage was so minimal have any effect or is it a case of 'A claim's a claim'?

4. As previously mentioned, his car was already battered all over, missing all but one wheel trim, covered in filth and 101 other dents etc. I know this probably won't make any difference but thought I'd mention it just in case this has any significance?

5. Again, I'm sure this won't make any difference but thought it best to mention - His car was parked over the line of his bay, into the bay my wife was parked in. She took photographs of this just in case.

We'd really appreciate any thoughts, advice, etc. as soon as possible.

Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Car Insurance Claim Against Me for less than £30 Damage. Help!

So you have photographs which show the poor condition of his car?

What expertise do you have to make an estimate of the cost of damage to his car?
    Do you work in a body shop?

If I was in your position I would let Admiral deal with it.
    Explain the position fully, and send them the photographs.
    After speaking on the phone to them confirm everything in writing.
    If you try and do it yourself you will get lots of hassle, and you can bet your bottom dollar this guy will have a contact in the motor trade who'll give a greatly inflated estimate!

You will not have to pay the excess, which only applies to own" damage.

A claim is a claim, even a "non fault" claim can affect a No Claim Bonus. Your policy wording should say what effect this incident might have. It differs from insurer to insurer

Comment

Wow, the best part of this is that we've just found out this guy doesn't have any insurance of his own and has been illegally driving in the UK for years. Yet he still has a right to claim through our insurance? Can this be right?!

Comment

He does not have the right to make a claim against your policy.
        He has informed your insurers that your vehicle was involved in an incident.
        Your insurers should be asking you if you wish to make a claim, in which case they will deal with it for you.
        If you tell them you will handle it yourself and don't require their assistance, the insurers should withdraw.

If anybody (criminals, illegal immigrants or people we just don't like) suffers loss, they are entitled to try and recover from the person who caused it.

In this case let your insurers deal with the matter:
        i) this will already be lodged on your record
        ii) what happens if this guy (and his 4 passengers,,, tsk didn't you see them) all suddenly develop whiplash and you have told your insurers to leave it?

Comment

I see your point although his car was in a car park and he wasn't inside the vehicle... Our insurer definitely didn't ask us if we wanted to make a claim, we gave them the details of what happened and were told although he has no insurance, we are responsible... :-/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X