• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sister in law wont replace headstone!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sister in law wont replace headstone!!

My father in law passed away over a year ago.

My sister in law connend him into changing the will in her favour.

It is with concern that the sister in law has not replaced the headstone down at the cemetary.

She paid a measly £80 for a small tacky wooden cross which only bears the father's name on it and not the mother's.

Seeing as she has had all of the money from the estate is their anything we can do about it as she was also executor for the estate.
    Tags: None

Re: Sister in law wont replace headstone!!

Was your father-in-law buried in the same plot as your mother-in-law ? ( just checking) Was their a headstone for your mother-in-law before your father-in-law passed away?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Okay this is a bitty from Manchester council

The erection of a permanent memorial on a grave, and the inscriptions on that memorial, can only be authorised by the Registered Grave Owner. When the Registered Grave Owner dies, the title of the grave passes to the executors or administrator of their estate.
      The Registered Grave Owner (or the executors or administrator) however, can transfer the title of the grave to another person. Transfers of Title are not valid unless they have been registered at a cemetery office, from where you can get advice on the procedure, and the relevant forms. In cases where there are no executors to the estate, the transfer can then only take place if all siblings of the Registered Grave Owner are in agreement for one member of their family to take ownership of the grave.
      http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/20.../5084/graves/4

So it sounds as though you need to formally ask your sister-in-law to transfer the title to you/your husband/wife ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

My husband paid half towards the original cost of the headstone.

Yes, the mother was buried before the father and it was a double plot. The father was buried ontop of the mother.

The sister was sole executor of the estate.

My husband and his sister are not on speaking terms because of what she did.

Comment

So when his mother was buried there was a 'proper' headstone. When his father was buried that headstone was removed and replaced with a simple cross without his mothers name on.

Has there been any explanation why she hasn't put the original headstone back with your F-I-L's name added ? or had a new one with both names added ? ( presumably there was some discussion if they have ended up not speaking )
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Spellkaster View Post

My father in law passed away over a year ago.

My sister in law connend him into changing the will in her favour....Seeing as she has had all of the money from the estate is their anything we can do about it as she was also executor for the estate.
            What would you like to do about it, and which things do you refer to when you say, to do something about it. I ask because am not sure what you mean and do not want to direct if it was not your request to be directed in a particular direction. Was it about challenging the will that you seek an opinion on or what is to do with title to gravestones?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              So when his mother was buried there was a 'proper' headstone. When his father was buried that headstone was removed and replaced with a simple cross without his mothers name on.

Has there been any explanation why she hasn't put the original headstone back with your F-I-L's name added ? or had a new one with both names added ? ( presumably there was some discussion if they have ended up not speaking )
              She was only interested in receiving the money from the estate so she could be "mortgage free".

There was never any disussion about the headstone being replaced.

I thought it was legal for an executor to replace the headstone.

Comment

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                What would you like to do about it, and which things do you refer to when you say, to do something about it. I ask because am not sure what you mean and do not want to direct if it was not your request to be directed in a particular direction. Was it about challenging the will that you seek an opinion on or what is to do with title to gravestones?
                The father in law put a clause in the will preventing anyone from challenging the will.

His sister had influence over the father and said in front of witnesses that she "wanted to be mortgage free at a certain age".

I thought that it was legal for an executor to change the headstone.

As the sister in law received most of the money from the estate she has no execuse.

We did ask at the time of when the will was being sorted out we enquired about the lack of headstone only for the solicitor to make a claim it was being done, but it clearly has not.

We feel it is an insult on the sister in law to completely ignore headstone replacement.

Comment

She was only interested in receiving the money from the estate so she could be "mortgage free".

There was never any disussion about the headstone being replaced.

I thought it was legal for an executor to replace the headstone.
                  The executor (male)/ executrix (female) is appointed by the testatator (male)/ testatrix (female) to deal with the person's estate. So anything to do with the deceased's estate falls to, in your situation, the executrix.

The executrix can gift the title to you but it must be done formally by completing documents (ie registration) at the cemetery office. Title means ownership as right now the sister in law has ownership of the grave, if that was the testatrix's intent in her will.
                  Last edited by Openlaw15; 28th December 2015, 17:01:PM.

Comment

The father in law put a clause in the will preventing anyone from challenging the will.

His sister had influence over the father and said in front of witnesses that she "wanted to be mortgage free at a certain age".

A clause in a will by the testator (ie father in law) would not stop the court investigating it. If the testator were to have been unduly influenced the will technically could be challenged. Why would the father in law have left so much to his daughter (your sister in law)? What did he leave to your husband (the father's son)? Conned is a strong term, why do you believe he was conned into favouring his daughter? How many sons and daughters (including your husband) did your father in law have? Were there any other relations too?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X