• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charges for DWP investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charges for DWP investigation

How much do solicitors charge for handling a DWP investigation?
    My sister and myself are executors of our late mother's will. The family solicitor is handling all of our legal affairs with regards to probate at an agreed fee.
    Mum didn't leave much and claimed even less. A few weeks after her death our solicitor got in touch to say the DWP wanted to investigate to see if she'd been overpaid any benefits. It came back negative with no money owing back to the DWP.
    We are now are in the process of completing the sale of mum's house (below £100,000). A statement has arrived from the solicitors that has two charges on it that we do not understand. One of them is an extra charge of £800 +VAT which equates to four hours work.
    When we asked about it they blithely said "That was the DWP investigation".
    Surely all they had to do was supply bank statements and fill in one form for the DWP?
    Can anyone verify this as I can't believe this was no more than an hours work given that my mums finances were so simple and she didn't owe anybody anything.
    Tags: None

Re: Charges for DWP investigation

Originally posted by Smurfy View Post
    How much do solicitors charge for handling a DWP investigation?
    My sister and myself are executors of our late mother's will. The family solicitor is handling all of our legal affairs with regards to probate at an agreed fee.
    Mum didn't leave much and claimed even less. A few weeks after her death our solicitor got in touch to say the DWP wanted to investigate to see if she'd been overpaid any benefits. It came back negative with no money owing back to the DWP.
    We are now are in the process of completing the sale of mum's house (below £100,000). A statement has arrived from the solicitors that has two charges on it that we do not understand. One of them is an extra charge of £800 +VAT which equates to four hours work.
    When we asked about it they blithely said "That was the DWP investigation".
    Surely all they had to do was supply bank statements and fill in one form for the DWP?
    Can anyone verify this as I can't believe this was no more than an hours work given that my mums finances were so simple and she didn't owe anybody anything.
    Good morning, welcome to LB.

£200 per hour is not unreasonable, dealing with the DWP can be difficult and prolonged, you can request a full explanation on how and why the fee has been calculated. e.g. what level was the fee earner entitled to claim, the disbursements etc.

nem

Comment

Thanks Nem. But it does seem to suggest that whilst my mum was honest and left very little, someone from DWP decides to investigate, they find nothing untoward and we get slapped with a bill for £960!

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfy View Post
        Thanks Nem. But it does seem to suggest that whilst my mum was honest and left very little, someone from DWP decides to investigate, they find nothing untoward and we get slapped with a bill for £960!
        It does I agree, yet if a principal fee earning solicitor had dealt with this then one would expect the fee to be around double what has been charged.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X