• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tangible help to recoup my £200, as trading standards once used to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangible help to recoup my £200, as trading standards once used to do

Briefly, in february I bought a £200 laptop from an IT business as "totally brand spanking new". It wasn't; I was denied inspecting it; and it went wrong. I didn't touch it again. I severally tried return/refund - got the run around. Sent formal complaint; threatened court (which I can't afford AND even IF judgement, doesn't guarantee getting my money. Then got a nasty letter that its been longer than 30 days a d no box, no deal. I tried getting other help, even lenova direct - not their serial no, I need produce their invoice = can't, I learned it's not a lenova-purchased laptop!
    There's no such thing as the once old fashioned' very effective trading standards anymore - you go to an idiot cab call centre, just so they can collect statistics - no one actually does anything to help you physically get redress.
    I can't afford to write off this money (actually £400, as I borrowed to buy it and still paying that money back).
    He also charged me for a 'lesson' - merely him ostensibly putting faults right! (But they aren't!). And still I never touched the laptop.
    He has boasted never having any intention to refund my cash. And his red mist gay hissy fit scared the daylights out of me, but I don't know of any bodyguards to protect me - were I able to face him again. He is no respecter of old age, elder females, or females per se. There MUST be someone who will physically help me. Its no good making laws to protect consumers, when in real life they're merely left to flounder ALONE. He, meantime isn't properly declaring his real income.
    Tags: None

Re: Tangible help to recoup my £200, as trading standards once used to do

Originally posted by andra1cass View Post
    Briefly, in february I bought a £200 laptop from an IT business as "totally brand spanking new". It wasn't; I was denied inspecting it; and it went wrong. I didn't touch it again. I severally tried return/refund - got the run around. Sent formal complaint; threatened court (which I can't afford AND even IF judgement, doesn't guarantee getting my money. Then got a nasty letter that its been longer than 30 days a d no box, no deal. I tried getting other help, even lenova direct - not their serial no, I need produce their invoice = can't, I learned it's not a lenova-purchased laptop!
    There's no such thing as the once old fashioned' very effective trading standards anymore - you go to an idiot cab call centre, just so they can collect statistics - no one actually does anything to help you physically get redress.
    I can't afford to write off this money (actually £400, as I borrowed to buy it and still paying that money back).
    He also charged me for a 'lesson' - merely him ostensibly putting faults right! (But they aren't!). And still I never touched the laptop.
    He has boasted never having any intention to refund my cash. And his red mist gay hissy fit scared the daylights out of me, but I don't know of any bodyguards to protect me - were I able to face him again. He is no respecter of old age, elder females, or females per se. There MUST be someone who will physically help me. Its no good making laws to protect consumers, when in real life they're merely left to flounder ALONE. He, meantime isn't properly declaring his real income.
    Good evening welcome to LB.

Is this IT business dealing from a shop or online only?
    Is it a Ltd. company or sole trader?
    What he does with his earning has no relevance to your problem.
    You can name and shame on here if you wish.

nem

Comment

When did you first complain ? When was the first complaint in writing?

I have one of these "IT Experts" running a shop in my area. He does the "new" trick and sells defective computers, with pirate software installed. He works on the principal that people don't know enough to complain, or even what to complain about. Fortunately got money refunded from him 4 times.

Small claims court is not expensive. In your case it would be £35 to start a claim against him for the £200. Just the sight of a claim form issued by the courts would probably be sufficient to make him change his mind about a refund.

You can always mention his income to HMRC AFTER you have got your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Good evening welcome to LB.

Is this IT business dealing from a shop or online only?
        Is it a Ltd. company or sole trader?
        What he does with his earning has no relevance to your problem.
        You can name and shame on here if you wish.

nem
        Thanks for info. He had a market unit, but now runs his business from his rented flat. He is a sole trader. I know his (general) earning are not my business ordinarily, but I'm on a state pension; I borrowed to buy (and paying this back) yet I've not got what I paid for and he's made a quick £200+ in cash.
        I've been burnt by small claims before - I got judgement, but the dealer just cocked a snook. So achieving judgement doesn't guarantee getting your money back (nor your filing fee, et al) after being run ragged trying to recoup justice/money.
        There's no point naming/shaming, I don't want to come across as a bitter old meadow lady; when I'm just sad greed supersedes friendship(ish). And I come unstuck trusting the wrong person. I have to believe shallow people get their karma. But I am also of the age when one could write to trading standards and they would bite the b** of misfeasance for you and reinstate your outlay, now they simply hide behind the threadbare skirts of "nothing to do with me guv" and wear ill-fitting dentures; patting themselves on the back for CAB statistics a gathering while believing customer dissatisfaction is sorted! Huh, duck from flying pigs. Amen
        Last edited by andra1cass; 8th December 2015, 13:40:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X