• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anglian Windows - Trying to increase price after contract was signed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglian Windows - Trying to increase price after contract was signed.

Hi all,
    Sorry for the long post - I am hoping somebody can offer me some advice on my issue with Anglian Windows. I know they haven’t got the best reviews but I did my research on the company beforehand, and came to the conclusion that the quality of the product was good although the hard sell tactics were not. I therefore accepted a salesman into the house on the condition that he only stayed 1 hour and we wouldn’t sign anything on the night – he obliged and was actually very amicable on the day, and matched our lowest quote for a orangery (£29750).

The orangery itself is 6m x 3m with some building work but the key point is that we wanted a 4.2m knock through to the main house – this was fundamental to the design so we ensured that the salesman was fully aware of this.

Anglian offer two types of this building:

1. Anglian Orangery – Basically a high spec conservatory built to building reg standards.
    2. Brick built Orangery – Superior building , basically an extension with a large roof lantern.

We were initially offered option 1 at the price stated above but said we didn't want this, but if he could do option 2 at that price level would sign up; after further discussions the salesman agreed ( with a reference that he should really run it past head office but didn’t) and we paid £750 deposit and signed the contact. We didn’t get any detailed drawings at the time but did get a plan view which clearly (to us anyway) represented option 2; I also took a photo of his design on his iPad which again represented option 2 so felt I did as many checks as possible.

Next steps – Surveyor arrived to look at the job, no reference was made to the design and he later came back to show us the drawings – these were actually incorrect and were for option 1 so when we realised we refused to sign them and were told that it was their mistake and they would redo. We didn’t hear anything for a further 3 weeks until the sales manager rang to say that they didn’t realise how much the knock through would be and now we need to pay another £4,000 . The reason for the first part of this paragraph, and the background is that my suspicion is that the real issue is the design difference and that the salesman agreed to this without the buy in of head office hence they are using the knock through as a smokescreen to claw back some money.

The salesman said the knock through wouldn’t be a problem as did the surveyor on the two occasions he visited.

They have now stopped answering my calls, and I have had no contact to resolve. I have lost complete trust with them and would be worried that they will try to find other excuses to increase the price even if we come to a solution.

I ideally would like to cancel completely and get my £750 back but realise it may not be this straight forward.

My questions are:

I assume if they honour the price at the specification agreed then I do not have grounds to cancel? – I will live with this if so.

If they refuse to revert back to the agreed price are they effectively breaching their own contact enabling me to cancel, and have my deposit refunded?

Note: I thankfully kept the surveyors drawings (of the wrong design) which clearly shows the knock through at the original agreed width of 4.2m so there shouldn’t be any confusion on this side.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Anglian Windows - Trying to increase price after contract was signed.

Originally posted by dmills27 View Post
    Hi all,
    Sorry for the long post - I am hoping somebody can offer me some advice on my issue with Anglian Windows. .................................................. ..........
    The orangery itself is 6m x 3m with some building work but the key point is that we wanted a 4.2m knock through to the main house – this was fundamental to the design so we ensured that the salesman was fully aware of this.
    OK.......... no probs there....

Anglian offer two types of this building:

1. Anglian Orangery – Basically a high spec conservatory built to building reg standards.
    2. Brick built Orangery – Superior building , basically an extension with a large roof lantern.
    OK........... seems clear enough........

We were initially offered option 1 at the price stated above but said we didn't want this, but if he could do option 2 at that price level would sign up; after further discussions the salesman agreed ( with a reference that he should really run it past head office but didn’t) and we paid £750 deposit and signed the contact. We didn’t get any detailed drawings at the time but did get a plan view which clearly (to us anyway) represented option 2; I also took a photo of his design on his iPad which again represented option 2 so felt I did as many checks as possible.
    Offering the star-quality job for the basic price is fairly common. The biggest window/door company in the UK does this with their window products....... but, no problem there.

Next steps – Surveyor arrived to look at the job, no reference was made to the design and he later came back to show us the drawings – these were actually incorrect and were for option 1 so when we realised we refused to sign them and were told that it was their mistake and they would redo. We didn’t hear anything for a further 3 weeks until the sales manager rang to say that they didn’t realise how much the knock through would be and now we need to pay another £4,000 .
    Check the small print on the back of the contract that you signed. Does it mention that the surveyor can 'vet' a job? If not, then you still do have a challenge, I think.

The reason for the first part of this paragraph, and the background is that my suspicion is that the real issue is the design difference and that the salesman agreed to this without the buy in of head office hence they are using the knock through as a smokescreen to claw back some money.
    Maybe Anglian has decided it can't afford to do the Job? Anyway...... moving on.....

The salesman said the knock through wouldn’t be a problem as did the surveyor on the two occasions he visited.

They have now stopped answering my calls, and I have had no contact to resolve. I have lost complete trust with them and would be worried that they will try to find other excuses to increase the price even if we come to a solution.

I ideally would like to cancel completely and get my £750 back but realise it may not be this straight forward.
    Well..... it should be if Anglian cannot fulfill the contract as signed up on the night.

My questions are:

I assume if they honour the price at the specification agreed then I do not have grounds to cancel? – I will live with this if so.
    If Anglian agrees to do the work as signed for in the contract then........ I expect that you would be relieved...? Anglian work has a reasonable reputation.

If they refuse to revert back to the agreed price are they effectively breaching their own contact enabling me to cancel, and have my deposit refunded?
    Revert back? Are you saying that you agreed to the extra £4000? If you did not agree, then there is no reverting back..... it's all about the job as signed up with the salesperson on the day/night. Yes?

Note: I thankfully kept the surveyors drawings (of the wrong design) which clearly shows the knock through at the original agreed width of 4.2m so there shouldn’t be any confusion on this side.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi....... I'm not a lawyer, but in my opinion you would need to ask Anglian to do exactly what it said it would do in the contract that you signed with the salesperson.

Some companies reserve the right to cancel or re-offer after a surveyor's inspection...... is there any mention of this on your contract Ts and Cs (see reverse)?

It looks as if you can either have your deposit back or that Anglian can do the work as signed for. Anglian may have a right to either choice, is my guess.

Why don't you send a scanned copy of your contract to the Chief Executive of Anglian and briefly explain what the surveyor did/said and what the manager said later on the phone, and ask for a response?

By the way........... was the offer to upgrade from the lesser option (1) to the higher option (2) the salesman's? .......... if you would decide there and then? A well known national window company offers just such an upgrade from a C rated window to an A rated window if prospects will agree to have their homes photographed and for a decision 'there and then'. That would be 'pressure', possibly?

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks a lot for your reply. In terms of design we were originally under the impression that all orangeries were pretty much the same at the start of this but when we compared designs with existing quotes after the salesman had gone we soon realised that he was offering a glorified conservatory at an Orangery price – nothing wrong with the design as such but I wouldn’t pay nearly £30k for it. It was at our request that we only wanted to discuss design 2 and at the price level of design 1 – to which the salesman agreed.

If they do agree to honour the existing contract I would be partially relieved but to be honest I have lost confidence with them as a company and have a ‘back-up’ quote with another company I would rather deal with (after this experience).

I never agreed to the extra £4000, and never will. My concern is based around bad reviews of Anglian, court cases etc. in getting into a dispute – wanted to avoid this.

My current course of action would be as follows:

1. Ask for something in writing stating that they want additional money as it has all been verbal to date.
      2. Once received refuse this and give them the option to either complete the specification and price level that we signed up to, or cancel the job from their side and refund the deposit. – I wanted to keep it this simple.
      3. I will also take your advice and send an email to the CEO.

To me they have under-called the costs which although annoying is not the end of the world mistakes happen. I want my discussions with them to be about either keeping or cancelling rather that their option either pay 4k extra, or have no knock through.

Your response is reassuring as it is how I see it also, as previously mentioned I don’t want to get tangled up in breach of contract legal battles as I haven’t breached the contract from my side. My main concern now is that in my opinion without something in writing to say they want to increase the price I cannot counter with cancelling as they could deny all knowledge – in short I don’t trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by dmills27 View Post
        Hi,
        Thanks a lot for your reply. In terms of design we were originally under the impression that all orangeries were pretty much the same at the start of this but when we compared designs with existing quotes after the salesman had gone we soon realised that he was offering a glorified conservatory at an Orangery price – nothing wrong with the design as such but I wouldn’t pay nearly £30k for it. It was at our request that we only wanted to discuss design 2 and at the price level of design 1 – to which the salesman agreed.

If they do agree to honour the existing contract I would be partially relieved but to be honest I have lost confidence with them as a company and have a ‘back-up’ quote with another company I would rather deal with (after this experience).

I never agreed to the extra £4000, and never will. My concern is based around bad reviews of Anglian, court cases etc. in getting into a dispute – wanted to avoid this.

My current course of action would be as follows:

1. Ask for something in writing stating that they want additional money as it has all been verbal to date.
        2. Once received refuse this and give them the option to either complete the specification and price level that we signed up to, or cancel the job from their side and refund the deposit. – I wanted to keep it this simple.
        3. I will also take your advice and send an email to the CEO.

To me they have under-called the costs which although annoying is not the end of the world mistakes happen. I want my discussions with them to be about either keeping or cancelling rather that their option either pay 4k extra, or have no knock through.

Your response is reassuring as it is how I see it also, as previously mentioned I don’t want to get tangled up in breach of contract legal battles as I haven’t breached the contract from my side. My main concern now is that in my opinion without something in writing to say they want to increase the price I cannot counter with cancelling as they could deny all knowledge – in short I don’t trust them.
        Hello again.....
        Reference your wish to send an email to the CEO. I do realise that this is the modern way for modern folks, but in my experience a tangible graspable letter, with a scanned copy of the contract annexed to it, and sent by special delivery to to the named CEO ONLY will at least reach the CEO's Personal assistant. More impact!
        And if you keep the content simple, as in..... "would you like to complete this contract 'as written and signed' or would you like to cancel? ' and please reply within 7 working days"..... kind of communication will probably cause an equally easy-to-read response direct from that office.

The KISS formula often seems to be more successful than the 'story-of-my-life' approach.

Good luck with all this. Anglian has been in business for many decades now, and I do believe that if you approach them as if with high regard for them, then they will have that good reputation to live up to.

Good Luck!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X