• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed with TalkTalk problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with TalkTalk problem

Hi all
    Hope someone can help.
    We cancelled our Sky contract in January 2015 due to escalating costs and signed up with TalkTalk on an 18month contract which started in February. Well to say thing never got off to a good start is an understatement. From day 1 we have had nothing but problems, a) the service provided has been rubbish (mainly broadband but TV has been equally bad) b) internet has been appalling. Suffice to say after 3 months we had had enough! I kept a log of when we called, who we spoke to, what we discussed and their resoloution (or lack of it).
    Now on 4th of October this year i went onto the website to see if there were any issues with the Broadband as mine wasn't working and i had done all the usual things, turned it off, re booted it etc. Whilst on the website i saw that they had increased their prices! We checked our emails to see if we had been notified and how the price changes would impact us. Well there was nothing there at all so i sought advice about them increasing the price and was advised that this gave me the ideal opportunity to use my 30 day cancellation as they had breached contract by not notifying me of price increase and thereby changing my contract without letting me know.
    I got straight on the phone spoke the a lady called Kaniz who said i couldn't terminate my contract. I stated that due to the fact they had increased prices and not notified me they had breached our contract and therefore i had the option to give 30 days notice to cancel. She fell silent and then said ok i will sort out cancellation. At the end of the call she stated my contract would end 4/11/15 and that as payment would be made 13/10/15 the final bill (4/11/15) would be from 13/10/15 - 4/11/15. She said that there would be no cancellation fee and that there would be a letter sent out confirming this.
    4/11 came and went............no payment taken, then lo and behold 13/11 comes and they took the full amount for 1 month. We phoned to find out what had happened with this and were told after being passed onto 5 diff people each on differerent continents, that the account was still valid, we were still receiving services and that the cancellation had not been done. After 53 minutes on the phone the only thing the guy could say was that he didn't know what to do.........he could cancel it but that would then be another 30 days and then they would send us final bill. We argued that we had already done this and i would not be paying TalkTalk anymore money to which he didn't respond.
    I said that basically i was wasting my time with him, i would cancel the DD with the bank, i had a recording of his call AND the original call where we cancelled (She is clearly heard quoting 4/11 as last date for payment, it has been cancelled, no cancellation fee and letter sent out) and that i would be seeking legal advice
    Short of going to Citizens Advice i'm at a loss what to do. I am going to contact them but they only open certain hours and its hard trying to get in when you work 9-5 6 days a week

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. The lady at the bank did say that if we had canceled it they had no right to take anymore money from us and that we were right to cancel the DD
    Tags: None

Re: Help needed with TalkTalk problem

Look at your contract to see if there is an item there that allows you to cancel if they increase the price. I've been through similar for my daughter with Virgin, who insisted there would be a cancellation charge because it was in the contract but I found the section that stated there was an option to cancel after a price increase.

If you have a recording of the original phone call then there should be no problems. Keep those recordings safe.

TalkTalk will, if they don't get their money, farm out the alleged debt to debt collectors fairly quickly. Don't get alarmed.

Comment

Just to add about the cancel after increase in price. I believe there were changes made by OFCOM to state that customers are entitled to cancel if there is a price increase within their contract but must be done within 30 days of notification.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Guys
        I did cancel within the 30 day notification period and i have a screen shot from the website that states what date the increase commences.
        Also going through all my paperwork for TalkTalk, of which there is only 1 sheet, and i seem not to have a contract. The only thing i have is the DD declaration stating our bank details.
        I also have a screen shot which i took before thay got hacked (which isn't a suprising occurance given the number of muppets that work there) and it does say balance is £0 and next payment is due 4/11/15 which is when the 30 day cancellation period came to an end and the final payment was due to be taken. The DD was usually taken on 13th of each month. In my mind this told me that they HAD processed my cancellation as i cancelled on the 4/10 and 30 days later was 4/11.

Comment

The contract will be on their web site somewhere. It it's anything like the Virgin site there are different versions depending where you look!

Comment

Thing is i can't get onto their website at all since it's been hacked. something else that hasn't been sorted.
            I tried the email address for the CEO Dido Harding but that bounced and have contacted Watchdog. I am today going to write a letter to their customer service address in Southampton. Don't see what else i can do

Comment

When did the contract prices change?

Did you request your money back under the DD guarantee from your bank (not sure if it covers where DD is cancelled but I'd imagine it would) - If you can plainly show clear evidence that you contacted them on the dates you called such as your itemised billing then I wouldn't have too much to worry. It is their fault for failing to do so and its common that retention people fail to cancel services in order to keep their bonuses or save rate high (from exp.).
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

prices went up 1/10/15
                we have just cancelled the DD to stop any further payments but we recognise that after he normal DD went out on 13/10 there was the period from then til 4/11 which we owed. they have chosen NOT to cancel and to bill us on 13/11 for a FULL month
                I cannot get onto my account as they still have't sorted out the website so i can't get a print out of itemised billing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X