• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mediation ? Who pays ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediation ? Who pays ?

We have looked after our niece since her mother died when she was 3yrs old (now 10yrs old) .My brother , her father , has remarried and after coming to see his daughter regularly for 1.5hrs every month has employed a solicitor because he decided he wanted to see her for longer - we have no real problem with this . His Solicitor has referred it to mediation . We are unlikely to qualify for legal aid but also did not request it - can we ask for my brother to pay for it ? We can't afford it and he requested it so surely he should pay ?
    Tags: None

Re: Mediation ? Who pays ?

Originally posted by Helshubby View Post
    We have looked after our niece since her mother died when she was 3yrs old (now 10yrs old) .My brother , her father , has remarried and after coming to see his daughter regularly for 1.5hrs every month has employed a solicitor because he decided he wanted to see her for longer - we have no real problem with this . His Solicitor has referred it to mediation . We are unlikely to qualify for legal aid but also did not request it - can we ask for my brother to pay for it ? We can't afford it and he requested it so surely he should pay ?
    The Claimant pays the cost of the consent order then adds it to the debt.
    nem

Comment

Thanks nemesis but there is no "debt" and no Consent Order.
      We have the Child Maintenance people on the case. My brother , we look after his daughter under a Residence Order , simply wants more contact - we will help with this. But he's got a solicitor involved , we don't think we need one. He has asked for mediation , not us but we're expected to pay ? Hardly fair ?

Comment

I would think the Mediation will be done through the Local Authority ( Social Services) at no cost to vary an existing residency order

The overriding objectives will always be the welfare of the child as to your brothers current domestic situation

You yourself have nothing to prove, your brother has

Comment

Thanks judgemental , I was thinking that

Comment

In the absence of anything to the contrary it is usual for costs of mediation to be shared between the parties.

Comment

So , even though we already agree that he can have more contact , my brother is going to get me to pay for something I neither feel we need or , in fact , asked for. The whole process feels like a money spinner for someone

Comment

[QUOTE]
                Originally posted by Helshubby View Post
                So , even though we already agree that he can have more contact , my brother is going to get me to pay for something I neither feel we need or , in fact , asked for. The whole process feels like a money spinner for someone[/QUOTE]
                The solicitor?

If there's no dispute, or ill-feeling, and you would welcome your brother increasing contact with his daughter, where's the need for a solicitor or mediation? Or is there something else lurking behind this?

You could write to both, expressing your bafflement - perhaps remind the solicitor of the following code of conduct, which is approved by the Law Society to guide legal professionals practicing Family Law: http://www.resolution.org.uk/code/

Explain that you would of course happily participate in mediation if your brother for some reason finds it necessary and wants to spend his money thus but why not simply discuss the subject and work things out between you in the best interests of the child? After all you both have the same end (the welfare of your niece) at heart.

Hope things iron themselves out and go well for you all x

Comment

Thank you MissFM , I've written to his Solicitor and sent him a copy reminding them that we are looking after a 9yr old girl who they seem to have forgotten about . My little brother is so wrapped up in what he needs rather than what his daughter needs . Anyway , we've done our bit offering to discuss it openly , we'll just have to wait and see if common sense prevails............

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X