• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New Car Rejection Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car Rejection Help

Hello,

War and piece - if you can't be bothered to read see the last two paragraphs.

In June 2015 I bought a brand new Seat Ibiza from a Seat Dealer on PCP Finance (Dealer supplied Finance through VWFS). The main reason - I've always had older cars but I was fed up of the maintenance requirements and the time I had to take out for preventative repairs that older cars require. A new car was going to cost me more money, short term and long term; but the privilege of a new, reliable and care free vehicle outweighed any financial impact. This was clearly outlined to the salesman.

Very early on in ownership I started experiencing issues with the car, please find a rough timeline below:
    • 600 miles - Developed a light knocking sound
    • 811 miles - x2 new front droplinks fitted under warranty.
    • 1200 miles - Car started knocking again and suspension became very vocal.
    • 1254 miles - x2 new steering arms fitted under warranty.
    • On the drive home from having the steering arms replaced, The car felt 'off'
      • The steering wasn't as precise and seemed to tram line depending on the road surface and condition. It was unstable on uneven/bumpy roads causing the car to change trajectory
      • The steering wheel is twitching and jerking every time the car goes over small bumps / pot holes on the surface of the road, also causing the car to change trajectory.
      • The knocking had not been fixed.
      • The vehicle very rarely travels in a straight line when the steering wheel is pointed dead centre.

• I made a phone call to the dealers expressing my concerns where I was advised to keep driving as the new steering arms will loosen up.
    • 1600 miles - The symptoms were still the same and knocking remained. I rebooked the car in and asked for an inspection and alignment check.
    • 1949 miles - Car was returned to the dealer and A Seat Master Tech test drove/inspected and found no issues, I was assured tracking had been fixed when the steering arms were replaced and had been double checked this time. Car only had a 1.6 mile test drive!
    • 1983 miles - Car went to a local independent, I explained my issues and requested an inspection/second opinion only. Within 5 minutes on a Hunter alignment machine it was noted the front wheels were toe out. The car was not rectified (for the avoidance of doubt the car was untouched mechanically) and I have a print out as evidence of the issue. I was also advised that the suspension top mounts should be checked and is a known TPI on Seat Ibiza's.
    • A detailed complaint was sent to the Dealer Complaint Manager via e-mail; stating I am ready to reject the car if they can't fix it.
      • I also listed other apparent faults. N/s Front bumper paint mismatch (I stupidly let this slide when I got the car) and gears are becoming difficult to engage when in traffic

• I was called by the service team asking to bring the car back in
    • 2154 miles - The car was returned to the dealer where I was informed the Dealer does not have tracking equipment so the car was sent to an independent for tracking to be rectified. The car came back with a print out and the rear of the car was out of spec and was left out of spec. No other work was done by the dealer
    • Although the cars steering feels better than before, the issues still remain.
    • A further complaint was put into the Dealer via a reply to a customer satisfaction generic e-mail - I was advised the dealer principle would be in touch
    • No response from the Dealer so I chased my complaint again
    • I spoke to the Dealer Principle via phone call where I advised I have lost confidence in the car, in the dealer being able to rectify the issues and that I want to reject the car. We agreed the best option for all parties involved was to negotiate an amicable solution and get myself out of my current car and into an equivalent replacement - We discussed an equivalent spec Leon FR due to my lost faith in the Seat Ibiza. The Dealer Principle handed over to The Sales Manager and advised I'll receive a phone call with options.
    • I received a phone call from Sales Manager stating he needed to get my Settlement Figure from VWFS before we can continue negotiations and to expect a phone call the following day.
    • I called VWFS myself and obtained a settlement figure of £12,247.79
    • I failed to receive a phone call the followed day, so I chased
    • The Sales Manager called me the next day and advised he values my car at £9,500 and as a result there is too much negative equity to begin negotiations and there was nothing more the Dealer can do. I advised I'll have to take this further with Seat UK and the Finance Company.
    • I complained to VWFS and Seat HQ
    • Phone then rang off the hook from the Dealer apologising and offered me deal where they took my current car, settled the finance then started a new agreement on a Leon FR. They planned on using my original £2,000 deposit on the Leon, however the Leon is an unsold but brand new MY15 model (current is MY16) Leon FR - subtle tech changes.
    • I asked for 24 hours to think and was advised sales manager was off the following day but he would hand over to business manager
    • The following day I accept the offer only to be told by the business manager I now need to put in another £2,000 deposit!
    • The Sales manager confirmed that I will lose my original deposit and I need to contribute a further £2,000
    • Offer was declined and negotiations with the dealer have ended

Long story short - Brand new Seat on PCP finance, started with steering and suspension issues from 6 weeks / 600 miles. Dealers had the car back 4 times and the issue is still apparent. Complained twice and all negotitations with the Dealer have failed, I've very recently complained to VWFS and Seat UK. The offer the dealer has given me works out £4,112.81 more expensive, over a longer term for an older MY spec car than if I were to get my £2,000 Deposit back and go into a competitor dealer with a new order. Unreasonable in my opinion.

I would have accepted the deal without the extra £2,000 contribution and compromised by having the older MY car and financial penalty in the interest of not having to reject the car. But at this stage I feel all Dealer avenues have been exhausted and I just want out. I want to hand the car back, cancel the finance and get my £2,000 deposit back to go elsewhere - I'm not interested in compensation or costs to date, just a clean slate. Help! What do I do and where do I go from here?
    Tags: None

Re: New Car Rejection Help

Formal Complaint Rejecting the Car as unfit for purpose to the dealer copy to finance provider.
    nem

Comment

E-mail or letter?

Do I need to hand the car back?

Comment

Originally posted by P3rks View Post
        E-mail or letter?

Do I need to hand the car back?
        Royal Mail signed for post P3. Hold on to car, best to use a little as possible.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Royal Mail signed for post P3. Hold on to car, best to use a little as possible.

nem
          Thanks!

Will something like my original post outlining my issues and making it a formal reject suffice?

Should I copy in Seat UK?

Comment

Originally posted by P3rks View Post
            Thanks!

Will something like my original post outlining my issues and making it a formal reject suffice?

Should I copy in Seat UK?
            Good Idea yes copy to Seat.

Facts in chronological order re the faults from day 1 with notes on remedial work done and the outcome.

nem

Comment

Thought I'd update this for anyone else with similar issues.

After more arguing with the dealer at the end of November I contacted a local solicitor who agreed to take on my case, He stated it was very clear cut and advised to send one last e-mail/letter giving the dealer one final chance to come to an agreed solution whilst also making sure I mentioned the solicitor and copying the solicitor into the e-mail for good measure. I recieved a phone call not long after from the dealer principle where myself and the dealer talked it out - I think he knew at this stage I was prepared to take it the mile and we negotiated a deal satisfying all parties.

Within a week of agreeing a deal I was out of the Ibiza and into a brand new Leon.

I ended up handing the Ibiza back where the dealer settled the existing VWFS PCP finance and we opened a new VWFS PCP finance for a Seat Leon FR - 0% APR, over the same period (but payments changed to suit the cars extra value - they matched the best price I could get elsewhere). With a £2000 deposit where all parties paid a £500 contribution to cover this - myself, Seat UK, the dealer and VWFS. I think they knew it'd cost me that with a few solicitor letters so had me by the short and curlys. I saw it as cutting my losses and looking back I consider it a win as the Leon is in a different league and I'm very happy.

Basically Seat UK were useless and said they were not the contracting party, they logged a complaint and monitored it only. VWFS said it was a dealer issue and the dealer said it was VWFS. I think at the end of the day it was my constant hassling everyone involved, the realisation on their part that I was not going away and good communication between myself and the dealer Principle who made the deal happen in the end. If I was to do this again I'd be straight to a solicitor and letting them deal with it - I'd guarantee it's only take a few phone calls or letters to get results within days, rather than months.

Then in very early January I received a phone call from VWFS (when the 8 weeks lead time for case review was overdue) where they were so far behind the curve they still thought I was in the Ibiza. I explained the situation and they closed the case on file, a few days later a received a remit letter for x2 payments equating to around £400. I called and asked what this was for but they didn't know so presumed it was for the time the complaint was on file. Result really.

All in all I'm happy with the result and love the Leon, however the whole thing was a customer service farce and has left nothing but a bitter taste in my mouth. I will very likely never use Seat, VWFS and the dealer again.

Comment

Can any one give any further advice on a new car rejection

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X