• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Condition of vehicle for Voluntary Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condition of vehicle for Voluntary Termination

Hi really hoping someone can help me as I cant find the answers to my questions anywhere on line.

I am doing a VT with Mercedes Benz and am clear on the process and have used the templates on this forum (thanks so much for the great info!).

I don't have excess mileage issues but the terms around condition don't answer my questions.

There are a few scratches on the car I am having sorted by a friend. The rest of the car is immaculate except the wheels.

The alloy wheels are diamond cut. 3 of the wheels have slight scuff marks. I have been quoted £30 per wheel to fully refurbish them, paint and re lacquer by a friend of a friend so a great price. I have been warned by other companies though that Mercedes are notorious for trying to extract fees out of you and they will say that even though the wheels are like brand new, the finish isn't diamond cut and the wheels will all need redoing as diamond cut to put them back to their original state. The best price I have been quoted is £110 per wheel and they will take a week to do! I bought the car with 10,000 miles on the clock so the wheels could have previously been repainted and I wouldn't have ever known as a buyer. Would they?

Surely the fully refurbished wheels should suffice as, to be honest as a buyer, they will look perfect and who cares about diamond cut or powder finish?

The second linked point is that within Mercedes hand back conditions, it states that the tyres have to be a premium brand approved by Mercedes for example Bridgestone or Pirelli. I have Cooper tyres on the car which are a premium brand but am unsure whether they are approved by Mercedes.

The car is likely just going straight through the auctions so my question is with Cooper tyres (all in very good condition) and fully refurbished alloys, will Mercedes still try and stick me with a bill or are the repairs I am doing reasonable?

Many thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this.
    Tags: None

Re: Condition of vehicle for Voluntary Termination

Hello Arnie,

All the law says is that the car needs to be returned in a reasonable condition. It does not need to be put back to its original condition when you first bought it.

Depending on the state of the alloys it might be wise to get them refurbished but it also depends how badly scuffed they are - you will need to make that call.

As for the tyres I do t think they can insist on specific tyres being put on when you VT. if you have some form of premium branded tyres then I don't think it would matter if the car is going to auction.

Your liability is restricted to half the total amount payable, the only thing they can reclaim is any outstanding fees prior to you VT the car and any charges where the car is not in a reasonable condition.

Make sure to take plenty of photographs before you hand it back as well to give you proof if there is a dispute - you don't even have to valet the car but it is worth giving it a clean inside and out before handing back.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hello Arnie,

All the law says is that the car needs to be returned in a reasonable condition. It does not need to be put back to its original condition when you first bought it.

Depending on the state of the alloys it might be wise to get them refurbished but it also depends how badly scuffed they are - you will need to make that call.

As for the tyres I do t think they can insist on specific tyres being put on when you VT. if you have some form of premium branded tyres then I don't think it would matter if the car is going to auction.

Your liability is restricted to half the total amount payable, the only thing they can reclaim is any outstanding fees prior to you VT the car and any charges where the car is not in a reasonable condition.

Make sure to take plenty of photographs before you hand it back as well to give you proof if there is a dispute - you don't even have to valet the car but it is worth giving it a clean inside and out before handing back.
      Thanks R0b. Very nervous even though i know its my legal right having never done a VT before

Comment

It's fine, don't be too nervous they will try any way in order to recoup any losses they may have made on the vehicle by selling it at auction. Here's a draft letter you can use, it's not perfect but gives you a starting point. You can edit or adjust as you wish.

* I would advise to send recorded delivery or at least get proof of postage receipt when sending the letter.

Dear Sirs,

Agreement number:
        Vehicle Registration:

Re: Voluntary Termination of Agreement

I am writing with reference to the above matter.

This letter is to notify you that I wish to invoke my statutory right under section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I have now paid one half of the total amount payable in accordance with clause [ ] of the Agreement.

I hereby give you 14 days notice to confirm that the Agreement has now terminated and make arrangements for collection of the vehicle.

The condition of the car is noted as being in a reasonable condition for its age. Photographic evidence has also been taken in the event of any future dispute by yourself.

Please note that the Consumer Credit Act limits my liability to half the total amount payable and I am therefore not liable for any excess mileage, collection of the vehicle or any other charges that may be levied. Such terms are void as they are inconsistent with the Act where they directly or indirectly impose additional liability.

I would be grateful if you could contact me on [ ] to arrange a suitable time for collection.

Yours faithfully,

[NAME]
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X