• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Met parking services pcn-won

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Met parking services pcn

Originally posted by Tazmania1977 View Post
    Well they've not helped me yet!
    You paid your money and are entitled to speak as you find

No skin of my nose either way

I just want you to win.

M1

Comment

Hi, just to update I lost the appeal. Have emailed the parking appeal company but don't hold out hope of them getting back to me! Guess I need to stump up the £100, should of just paid the original £60. Just thought I'd fill you in and advise no one to use a 3rd party company to help with a POPLA.

Comment

Hi, just to update I lost the appeal. Have emailed the parking appeal company but don't hold out hope of them getting back to me! Guess I need to stump up the £100, should of just paid the original £60. Just thought I'd fill you in and advise no one to use a 3rd party company to help with a POPLA.
        Any chance you could post the appeal and/or decision ?

Everyone else seems to be winning so seeing what was appealed and why you lost could be helpful to us but may show the appeal hasn't been looked at correctly and needs reheard which helps you too.

M1

Comment

Unsuccessful

Assessor Name
          Emily Chriscoli

Assessor summary of operator case
          The operator’s case is that the appellant’s vehicle was parked in a disabled parking bay without displaying a valid blue badge.

Assessor summary of your case
          The appellant’s case is that she does not believe the operator has the authority from the landowner to issue Parking Charge Notices (PCNs).

Assessor supporting rational for decision
          Section 7 of the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice sets out to parking operators that “if you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the land owner (or their appointed agent) … In particular, it must say that the landowner (or their appointed agent) requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges.” As the operator has provided POPLA with a copy of the contract between itself and the landowner, I am satisfied that the operator has met the requirements set out in Section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the signage displayed on site. The signs state “Vehicles parked in marked disabled bays must clearly display a valid disabled badge face up in the front windscreen at all times”. The operator has also provided a site map, highlighting the amount and location of all signs displayed within the car park. Section 18.3 of the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice sets out to parking operators that “signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.” After reviewing the evidence of the signage displayed on site provided by the operator, I am satisfied that the signs adhere to the BPA Code of Practice. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the appellant’s vehicle on the date of the contravention, where it is clear that no blue badge has been displayed. I acknowledge that the appellant is in possession of a blue badge as she had provided the operator with photographic evidence of the badge in her original appeal, however the terms and conditions of the car park clearly state that vehicles parked in a disabled parking bay must be displaying a valid blue badge at all times. On this occasion, the appellant was not displaying a blue badge. It is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure that when they enter a car park, they have understood the terms and conditions of parking. If the appellant was in disagreement with the terms and conditions of the site, there would have been sufficient time to leave the site without entering into a contract with the operator. By remaining parked on site, the appellant accepted the terms and conditions. On this occasion, the appellant has failed to follow the terms and conditions of the signage at the site and I conclude that the PCN was issued correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

The appeal was processed by the Parking Ticket company I used, I din't receive a copy of it. The above is the decision, I have the evidence pack that Met Parking sent but that is massive. Do you want me to edit and post that?

Comment

Also the parking company has responded to say I am under no obligation to pay them and to not respond to any letters etc. I gather this is not the way to deal with it?

Comment

I probably would ignore too depending on what their evidence says about authority.

Can you post up the contract or authority they lodged to say they were allowed to operate on that site, which should be in the evidence ?

M1

Comment

It was sent as a PDF, I'm not sure how to get the information from it. I have taken screenshots but can't seem to attach them?

Comment

Click go advanced and use the paperclip or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnPAhAdxZQ

Or email Kati as per my signature.

M1

Comment

Here are the screenshots... One more to follow. Most of it is blocked out anyway!

- - - Updated - - -

Last one.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Tazmania1977; 17th February 2016, 18:00:PM.

Comment

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me. I am a disabled driver and parked in a disabled bay, my mum was with me and assisted me out of the car, after about 3 minutes she realised she hadn't displayed my badge, when she returned to the car I had a PCN notice on the car. The times are from 17:19 to 17:19, the ticket was issued within minutes of us parking. I have appealed it, after reading lots online I am doubtful that they will waver the fine, I have sent photos of my disability badge and explained that it was a genuine mistake, I'm assuming I will need to request a popla code from them. What wording would I need to use if it's gets to that stage?

Any advice would be appreciated.
                      No, your case is different, just prove you have a blue badge by giving them your number. Your car registration number will likely be recorded as using the blue badge. It is indirect discrimination - you simply forgot to show your blue badge. It was not that you did not have a blue badge. Is this the council who have issued you it?

Comment

No it is Met Parking, in a free car park. The badge was only off the car for about 5 minutes, my mum assisted me inside as there is a food place there. We realised and then she returned to the car to put the badge on but they had already issued the ticket within about 5 mins. I did explain this to them and give them all my details, but they are saying it clearly states you need to display a badge at all times. It does but as it was raining at the time we were just trying to get in as quickly as I'm able to, was just a simple error on our part. I have just called the head office who run the site - they are going to see if they can help (waiting for someone to talk to her manager) they are not promising they will assist.

Comment

Ok, bearing in mind you have no further right to appeal and a complaint may yield nothing, i would complain to popla.

complaints@popla.co.uk

Ref popla #xxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to highlight the failure of your system to both be consistent and take in to account information presented to it. I appreciate that you will not consider the appeal any further but regardless your appeals service needs to avoid repeating such errors and inconsistencies in the future in order to maintain a certain level of trust with the public unlike your competitors TheIAS who are routinely referred to as a "kangaroo court".

Firstly i would like to list some of the reasoning for upholding appeals in other popla cases recently.

Decision
                          Successful

Reasons for the Assessor's determination
                          While the appellant has raised several grounds for appeal, my report will focus on whether the operator has authority to operate on the land.
                          The operator has provided a signed statement regarding the landowner authority. However, as it does not set out all of the conditions covered in section 7.3 of the BPA Code of Practice, I am not satisfied that the document provided demonstrates sufficient landowner authority, as the date that the agreement started has not been completed.
                          In conclusion, the operator has failed to demonstrate to my satisfaction that it has the relevant landowner authority. Therefore, the appeal is allowed and I do not need to consider the appellant's other grounds for appeal.

Decision
                          Successful

Assessor Name
                          Lauren Bailey

The operator’s case is that the appellant overstayed the paid parking time.

The appellant’s case is that the operator does not have the authority to issue parking charges on the land in question. The appellant has stated that signage at the car park is not sufficient.

The appellant has questioned the operator’s authority to operate on the land. Within Section 7 of the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice, it requires parking operators to have the written authority from the landowner to operate on the land. As such, I must consider whether the Operator has met the requirements of this section of the BPA Code of Practice. However, in this instance the operator has failed to provide any evidence in response to this ground of appeal. As such, the operator has failed to prove that it has the required authority to operate on the land in question and has failed to meet the requirements set out in Section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal and the other grounds raised by the appellant do not need further consideration.

Decision: Successful

Assessor summary of operator case:

The operator’s case is that the appellant exceeded the parking time he had paid for.

Assessor summary of your case:

The appellant’s grounds for appeal are as follows:
                          • The appellant does not believe the operator has adhered to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012).
                          • The appellant does not believe the operator has the landowner’s authority to issue Parking Charge Notices (PCNs).
                          • The appellant does not feel the operator has applied a reasonable grace period.
                          • The appellant believes the signage displayed on site is insufficient.
                          • The appellant feels the PCN is not a Genuine Pre-estimate of Loss.

Assessor supporting rational for decision:

The car park in question is monitored by Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the appellant’s vehicle entering the site at 11:06 and exiting the site at 14:16. The appellant states he does not believe that the operator has the authority from the landowner to issue PCNs. Section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice sets out to parking operators that “if you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the land owner (or their appointed agent) … In particular, it must say that the landowner (or their appointed agent) requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges.” The operator has not provided POPLA with the written authorisation from the landowner. As such, I cannot confirm that the operator has the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges. Accordingly, I must allow the appeal. I note that the appellant has raised other grounds for appeal, however, as I have allowed the appeal for this reason, I did not need to consider them.

of the landowner to issue and pursue parking charge notices (PCN). Section 7 of the British Parking Association (BPA) code of practice requires operators to own the land or to have written authority from the landowner to operate on the land. As the operator has failed to provide any evidence in response to this ground of appeal, it has failed to prove that it has the required authority to operate on the land in question. I acknowledge that the appellant has raised other grounds for appeal, but as I have allowed the appeal on this basis, I have not considered them.

Decision: Successful

The operator’s case is that the appellant exceeded the maximum stay on site.

The appellant’s case is that he does not feel the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) is a Genuine Pre-estimate of Loss. The appellant does not believe the operator has the authority from the landowner to issue PCNs. The appellant believes the Notice to Keeper did not adhere to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA 2012). The appellant believes the Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras are unreliable.

The appellant states he does not believe that the operator has the authority from the landowner to issue PCNs. Section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice sets out to parking operators that “if you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the land owner (or their appointed agent) … In particular, it must say that the landowner (or their appointed agent) requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges.” The operator has not provided POPLA with the written authorisation from the landowner. As such, I cannot confirm that the operator has the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges. Accordingly, I must allow the appeal. I note that the appellant has raised other grounds for appeal, however, as I have allowed the appeal for this reason, I did not consider them.

Decision

Successful

Assessorsummary of operator case

Insufficient time was purchased.

Assessorsummary of your case

She is the registered keeper andwishes to appeal as follows. 1. The charge is a penalty 2.
                          Unfair charges 3. Locus Standi 4.Signage

Assessorsupporting rational for decision

The appellant has raised severalgrounds for appeal. However, my findings will focus on
                          Landowner authority as this ground haspersuaded me to allow the appeal. "Section 7 of the
                          British Parking Association (BPA) codeof practice requires operators to own the land or to have
                          written authority from the landownerto operate on the land. As the operator has failed to provide
                          any evidence in response to thisground of appeal, it has failed to prove that it has the required
                          authority to operate on the land inquestion. Accordingly, I must allow the appeal. I have not considered any othergrounds for appeal as they do not have any bearing on my decision.

There are other results reported with far briefer synopsis than this for the same thing.

Contrast this with the decision in my case.

Assessor Name
                          Emily Chriscoli

The operator’s case is that the appellant’s vehicle was parked in a disabled parking bay without displaying a valid blue badge.

The appellant’s case is that she does not believe the operator has the authority from the landowner to issue Parking Charge Notices (PCNs).

Section 7 of the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice sets out to parking operators that “if you do not own the land on which you are carrying out parking management, you must have the written authorisation of the land owner (or their appointed agent) … In particular, it must say that the landowner (or their appointed agent) requires you to keep to the Code of Practice and that you have the authority to pursue outstanding parking charges.” As the operator has provided POPLA with a copy of the contract between itself and the landowner, I am satisfied that the operator has met the requirements set out in Section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the signage displayed on site. The signs state “Vehicles parked in marked disabled bays must clearly display a valid disabled badge face up in the front windscreen at all times”. The operator has also provided a site map, highlighting the amount and location of all signs displayed within the car park. Section 18.3 of the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice sets out to parking operators that “signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.” After reviewing the evidence of the signage displayed on site provided by the operator, I am satisfied that the signs adhere to the BPA Code of Practice. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the appellant’s vehicle on the date of the contravention, where it is clear that no blue badge has been displayed. I acknowledge that the appellant is in possession of a blue badge as she had provided the operator with photographic evidence of the badge in her original appeal, however the terms and conditions of the car park clearly state that vehicles parked in a disabled parking bay must be displaying a valid blue badge at all times. On this occasion, the appellant was not displaying a blue badge. It is the responsibility of the motorist to ensure that when they enter a car park, they have understood the terms and conditions of parking. If the appellant was in disagreement with the terms and conditions of the site, there would have been sufficient time to leave the site without entering into a contract with the operator. By remaining parked on site, the appellant accepted the terms and conditions. On this occasion, the appellant has failed to follow the terms and conditions of the signage at the site and I conclude that the PCN was issued correctly.

Nowhere in the evidence supplied does it say that the BPA code of practice must be adhered to. Nowhere is the definition of the land on which you may operate, so that
                          the boundaries of the land can be clearly defined explained. There is a name for the land but clearly you cannot tell the boundary, as required, from that. Nowhere does it state who has the responsibility for putting up and maintaining signs. Nowhere does it state the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement.

Clearly as demonstrated your systems are inconsistent and further training is required. You should not decide many appeals on a point in one way and others in a different way.

Yours sincerely

Hopefully they'd take a 2nd look even if they say officially they won't.

M1

Comment

Thanks for this, I will email it over. Maybe they might take another look. I will let you know. Thanks so much

Comment

No it is Met Parking, in a free car park. The badge was only off the car for about 5 minutes, my mum assisted me inside as there is a food place there. We realised and then she returned to the car to put the badge on but they had already issued the ticket within about 5 mins. I did explain this to them and give them all my details, but they are saying it clearly states you need to display a badge at all times. It does but as it was raining at the time we were just trying to get in as quickly as I'm able to, was just a simple error on our part. I have just called the head office who run the site - they are going to see if they can help (waiting for someone to talk to her manager) they are not promising they will assist.
                              Your circumstances are different owing to your/ the car owner's disability and have in possession a Blue Badge. If you parked on a private car park a company can only normally take the driver to court based on contract law. Have you told the company who was driving yet? If they did not charge for a ticket it cannot be a contract. Did you park on private land, it would seem so. In any event this company owes the Blue Badge holder a statutory (legal) duty not to discriminate, which is why there is such thing as Blue Badge scheme. What were the circumstances?

Comment

Hi, just another update. I sent the complaint to popla, not heard anything back! As I said, I contacted the company who own the land and sent them all the details over, they have got back to me today to say they have cancelled the ticket for me

Would just like to say, thanks for all the advice regarding this. It's great that you take time to help people who don't understand the law or procedures and give them free, helpful advice. I know I appreciate it, as do many other on here!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X