• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Natwest overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natwest overdraft

I have an 2 accounts at the Natwest, they are both basic accounts with no overdraft facility.
    1 is for my wages and 1 is for ebay

3 weeks ago I had a direct debit for £35 but did not have enough to cover it but usually
    because its a basic account the bank just knocks it back and I get a £6 charge. However
    the Bank paid it and made me overdrawn and was then charging me £6 a day!! So by
    the time I got paid from work it had gone from £35 to £140 which I just could not pay.
    I had never agreed to this overdraft and I got no notification saying that they would
    start charging me.

My 2nd account which my wages are paid into, I pay all my bills and anything else
    by Debit Card when I get paid and I always check there is enough to cover everything.
    I made some purchases on ebay which I again paid with the debit card and checked money
    was in. On Monday I had to pay for something and I checked the bank and realised I needed
    to put money in to cover it so my sister transferred £20 from her account into mine and
    I proceeded with the purchase. After I had made the purchase I checked my bank and yes it
    had been paid and £9 was the balance. Yesterday I checked my bank and found I was £31 overdrawn
    and when I looked they had got all the purchases down that I had made when I got paid and made
    it look like they had only just come in, and it included the payment I made on Monday when my Sister transferred the money. I know this is wrong as I will only purchase something If I know I have
    money to cover it and once I make a paymentI always check to see that the money has been taken off the balance. Plus if I had no money in the account how could I have made a debit card payment as the Bank would have knocked it back. I rang the Bank but got nowhere with them. They just kept saying I did not have the funds to cover them. I now have to put a complaint in and that could take 8 weeks for an investigation. I do not earn a great deal and my only other money is what I make on ebay on odd items I can sell. I feel the Bank has manipulated the figures to make it look like I did not have enough. Also they have changed the rules on basic accounts and giving people overdrafts they never asked for and was always told that they do not allow you to have an overdraft on a basic account. What can I do as I know its wrong I am at my wits end
    Tags: None

Re: Natwest overdraft

The Natwest basic account shouldn't have overdraft charges on it at all, only unpaid transaction fees of £6. they should also give 14 days notice of any charges. Did you check with Natwest they haven't upgraded your bank account or anything daft ?

On your online banking ( presumably where you checked your balance before making the purchases) does it have a section for pending transactions and did you check that before proceeding ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No as far as I know they are still basics accounts. On the online bank it has Balance and available balance. I always check to make
      sure there is enough to cover all purchases. I know exactly how much money I have and how much I need to pay out.

Comment

Also the unarranged overdraft fee should be capped at £90 in each statement period.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

If there was not enough money in my account when I made the purchases the Debit card would have been declined.

Comment

You have done the right thing putting in a formal complaint with the bank.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

It might have something to do with the way paypal processes debit card transactions - have you checked the records on paypal ?
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

The thing is they have put me in financial hardship because any money I make on ebay will be swallowed up by the overdraft
                and leaves me with nothing. I only make a couple of £'s on each item I sell so its not like they are big items I sell and making lots
                of money. I sell them to top up my money. I have been told to ring them and speak to complaints dept after work today.

Comment

Open another account and have your ebay money paid there for now while this is sorted. Or keep it in your paypal account / transfer to a freinds account for them to take out in cash for you. anything rather than feed Natwests charges. Hopefully the complaints dept will see they cocked up in allowing the DD through on a basic account.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

If I make a purchase on paypal and I do not have enough money in the account, it is declined. I was told by the bank
                    last year that the when you make a purchase on your debit card the money is take off the available balance and put on
                    the balance which is pending but that it has been paid and the bank has taken it but is just waiting for the company to
                    ask for it. I contacted paypal yesterday and they confirmed that if there was not enough money to cover the purchase it would be declined by my Bank.

Comment

Hi welcome to Lb

If you are relying on the " mini" statements from NatWest cash machines
                      it should show a balance and a " you may withdraw" figure which if there
                      are any " pending " payments from point of sale transactions or DDs/ standing
                      orders will be lower than the " balance" figure.
                      Point of sale transaction in a lot of cases are not applied to the account immediately
                      because traders have to claim payment usually for small traders at the end of their
                      trading day or the next day, some large retail chains make take longer to claim.
                      Most times you cannot blame the bank the cash machine mini statement cannot
                      show the actual amounts of each pending transaction a print out statement from
                      the bank counter should be accurate up to the time it is printed.
                      The bank can't manipulate the figures as you suggest, it's all automated .
                      The system allows for a certain amount of leeway if small amounts are overdrawn
                      this is to avoid customers being embarrassed when a card is declined on a small
                      transaction.
                      (Source NatWest senior manager)

You can make a formal complaint to The Director of Retail Banking at NW but as
                      said they have 56 days to investigate and respond to a complaint, the response
                      is usually very much quicker.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by Lisadavies View Post
                        The thing is they have put me in financial hardship because any money I make on ebay will be swallowed up by the overdraft
                        and leaves me with nothing. I only make a couple of £'s on each item
                        I sell so its not like they are big items I sell and making lots
                        of money. I sell them to top up my money. I have been told to ring them and speak to complaints dept after work today.
                        As Amethyst has suggested, open another account and link that one to your PayPal account. It's not easy to make a lot on eBay as everyone expects it all to be dirt cheap.

In the age of online shopping, there are many places where you can pay by PayPal without having to move the money to your account. :thumb:

Comment

Do you use online banking or paper based statements?

What is the type of account that you have because you say that it is a basic account but what does natwest call those accounts? It might help us to decide what type of account you have and why you have been charged all that amount. The most basic basic account, as amethyst has said, does not allow an overdraft whatsoever which means the bank has to refund, however, I am not sure that that is the case here.
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X