• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Suspension from work - Investigation process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension from work - Investigation process

After interviewing staff after one of their colleagues has been suspended ( fact finding) is it ethical for a Manager to recall a staff member back to a second interview, inform them that they do not believe their first statement and intimate that their job could be in jeopardy ? ( after having the employee sit and wait two hours for the interview to be conducted)
    Tags: None

Re: Suspension from work - Investigation process

Surely someone must have some thoughts on this please ??? My friend is very worried by all this and feels out of their depth. As an after thought during any fact finding investigation is it acceptable to ask leading questions of any staff that may be potential witnesses ???

Comment

Hi Dobiefan

So during a fact finding process interview regarding suspension of another member of staff, your friend was interviewed, his/her story not believed, and she/he was told they could now be subject to disciplinary themselves?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi [MENTION=42069]dobiefan[/MENTION] - I don't know if it's ethical but that's sort of irrelevant. The question we'll consider is 'Is it lawful... ?' The employer's practise is certainly poor but I don't think they've done anything unlawful. If an investigator has grounds to suspect a witness' statement is inaccurate then the investigator has a responsibility to investigate further, which may involve re-interviewing the witness.

The witness may want to make a complaint about the way in which they were treated, but assuming they weren't compelled to make a false statement, it shouldn't affect the outcome of the investigation/case.

- Matt
        Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

My understanding is that they were warned that their job could be at risk - surely any second interview should be done without any personal comment from the person conducting the interview ?? - Can I also ask is it normally the person that is deemed investigating officer the person who would conduct any fact finding ?
          Thanks in anticipation

- - - Updated - - -

Could their actions of the Manager re- interviewing the staff member not be interpreted as bullying / intimidation ??

Comment

Hi [MENTION=42069]dobiefan[/MENTION]

It's not terribly professional to say so but the truth is the witness could be subject to disciplinary proceedings if they knowingly give a false statement. The investigator's behaviour could be construed as bullying/intimidation, and the witness may wish to make a complaint, as I said.

I can't see how it would affect the outcome of the investigation though, unless the witness is compelled to give a false statement.

Yes, the investigator may also be the 'fact finder' - their role is to identify the facts of the case, and determine if there is a disciplinary case to answer.

- Matt
            Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

I agree with Matt.

If something comes to light during the course of an investigation which suggests that a witness may be guilty of wrongdoing (or needs to clarify an earlier statement) I can see no reason why the investigator should not reinterview the witness.

Whilst the investigator will try to establish the facts, the final decision maker is the disciplinary hearing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X