• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will and Power of attorney query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will and Power of attorney query

My grandmother has recently passed away and myself and my sister are concerned as she had always maintained that her estate would be split 50/50 with us and another family member (this family member has POA). Since her passing it appears her will was changed a couple of years ago and is totally different to what she had stated and the family member with the POA is the main beneficiary.
    My question is this, is there anyway we can find out what type and when the POA was granted and also can a will be changed after the grant of POA to benefit them. I do not want to cause a rift in the family but having viewed my late grandfather's will it would appear her previous one (which was the same) left us 80 percent and the POA 20 percent. Any advice would be welcome, I suspect everything will be in order but we have a niggling doubt and would just like our minds putting to rest. Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Will and Power of attorney query

Hi and welcome

You can use this form to search the OPG register of EPA/LPAs, https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._registers.pdf, there is no fee.

A will can be changed after a POA has been given, provided the testator retains the mental capacity to do so. Did your grandmother suffer from any condition that affected her ability to make decisions?

Provided the necessary capacity was maintained, and it is a statutory presumption that it was, unless you can show that the now main beneficiary exerted undue influence, the later Will will stand.

Family disputes over Wills can and do tear families apart and can be ruinously expensive.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X