• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Becoming a probation officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a probation officer

With my current industry declining day by day, I have recently looked into changing careers.

I have now come up with an idea of retraining as a probation officer.

I believe you normally start as a probation services officer and then train for a degree or postgraduate award in Community Justice.

My degree in Media & Communications might not be too relevant but I would contemplate studying from scratch if required.

Does anyone have any experience and/or advice? Would greatly appreciate.
    Tags: None

Re: Becoming a probation officer

Originally posted by Mr $quandaŁot View Post
    With my current industry declining day by day, I have recently looked into changing careers.

I have now come up with an idea of retraining as a probation officer.

I believe you normally start as a probation services officer and then train for a degree or postgraduate award in Community Justice.

My degree in Media & Communications might not be too relevant but I would contemplate studying from scratch if required.

Does anyone have any experience and/or advice? Would greatly appreciate.
    An admirable ambition, have you checked advertised post? I do know that like other such
    posts financial restriction has seen numbers dwindle.

take a look at justice.gov
    The above would be my first action check what's available in your area, adverts will give you
    an idea of what of what the job is all about and what qualifications /experience is required / expected.
    nem

Comment

Like many services the probation service is being privatised as this government continues to roll back the frontiers of the state . As such i can see the chances of doing good getting dimmer and dimmer and the prospect of being required to turn a profit increasing.

Being a probation officer is not an easy job and you need to be streetwise and strong emotionally as one sign of perceived weakness and word will soon get round. As you have a degree I can see no bar to you applying but you will of course need to gain another degree and I am not sure how that is funded

Comment

National Probation Service & Changes coming in 2016.
        Entry is via a 4 years Honours Degree Course in Social Work.
        Loads of info on line.
        Just search " Becoming a Probation Officer".

nem

Comment

Sadly according to the site there will be no new recruitment until the process is complete and with this governments track record , how long is a piece of string

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/probation_officer_entry_requirements.htm

No doubt when it is complete there will be a flurry of recruitment but depends if you can wait

According to the website the degree in social work is needed for NI and not England or Wales

Comment

Hi,
            I appreciate your decision to become a probation officer. Here are some basic requirements are:-
            • Between 20 and 38 years of age
            • Superior physical, emotional and mental health
            • U.S. citizenship
            • Valid driver’s license
            • No felony conviction

Thanks!!

Comment

I think the question is UK based

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X