• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mobile phone destruction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phone destruction

I have a interesting question; my son (12) was caught in the swimmingpool when he tried to make pictures from girls. Of course this is not good, I understand and he is punished. ( By the school and by us as parents)
    Of course this triggered an investigation by the police and the children protection. They came over and talked to us, my son and earlier also to the girls involved. After that the conclusion from school, children protection and even other parents was that it was just an innocent curiosity caused by starting puberty. A member of school and my wife looked at the pictures on the phone. They both came to the conclusion that there were no indecent pictures on the phone. This because he was caught red handed and they immediately took the phone of him.
    After more conversations with child protection and police, they decided that he have to write a letter to the girls involved to apologise and after that the case is closed.

But now the problem.
    We gave the phone to the police voluntarily so it would be "safe". But now the police said that the phone will be destructed because of the indecent pictures. But there are no indecent pictures on it. So when I asked them about that they said that as my son said that he did make pictures so they are there. But when I checked if the phone was turned on at the police station, it was not. As I can see that in his account. So without looking at it, they decided that they can destruct it. Of course I don't agree as it is an expensive phone and it would be a very hard punishment for us as on his school he needs a phone so we have to buy another one.

Also at the school they agree with us but they are not willing to interfere.

Can they do this?
    Tags: None

Re: Mobile phone destruction

Hi and welcome

If the police are unwilling to return your son's property you may have to take action under the Police property Act 1897 and obtain a magistrates order
    to the police to return it.
    You might find this link helpful, although it goes into all sorts of situations http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgeba...y-back-police/

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      That seems interesting, just I am afraid how they react. As they took the phone but they did not log it. When I call and get someone else on the phone, they don't know anything about it.

Comment

In that case you need to make an official complaint to the force concerned.
        Their website should have details of the process, or you could visit your local station for the information.
        If you go to the local station I would suggest going with the complaint already written out, and ask to speak to the station commander.
        You might not get to speak to him, but it is the squeaky hinge that gets the oil so I am in favour of complaining loudly!

Here's a link to a guide to police complaints system https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/defaul...em_leaflet.PDF

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X