• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Welcome Finance secured loan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Finance secured loan

Morning all,

Just a quick question, some 10 or more years ago I took out a secured loan with Welcome Finance, paid it for a while an then hit upon some hard times, my house was repossessed and my Mortgage cleared but there wasn't enough to cover the secured loan, I haven't had contact with them for at least 6 years now and I haven't mad a payment for about 8, what happens to the loan? Someone said they have 20 years to collect the capital on it and 5 years to collect the interest before it's statue barred as it fall under the Mortgage category, is this correct?

Regards
    Tags: None

Re: Welcome Finance secured loan

I think it is 12 years for secured loan to collect the shortfall and 6 for interest.

Ah yes - National Debtline https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...s/Default.aspx
    If you owe mortgage capital

Mortgage capital is the money you originally borrowed. For this part of a mortgage shortfall debt, the lender has 12 years to use court action to make you pay. This is under section 20 (1) of the Limitation Act.

If you owe interest

Mortgage interest is the interest you were charged to borrow the money. Your lender may also charge interest after your home is sold. For this part of a mortgage shortfall debt, the lender has six years to use court action to make you pay. This is under section 20 (5) of the Limitation Act.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 10th October 2015, 09:57:AM. Reason: adding info
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst.

I should mention I live in Scotland, I just read this bit on there Scottish site and it confused me, "If your home has been repossessed and sold, mortgage shortfall debts can be pursued against you. If the lender obtained a sheriff court decree for repayment of the debt against you, they are likely to have up to 20 years to pursue you.

"If on the other hand there is no court order, for example you gave up the house before the court date, the lender may be restricted to trying to recover the debt within five years of the date of your repossession."

My mortgage lender repossessed my house, no action from Welcome as far as I am aware.

Comment

Ahhh yes that makes a big difference. Different Limitations law.

Five years is for standard limitations.

Secured loan - not mortgage - no court action from Welcome, then should be 5 years in Scotland - but I'm not confident in Scots law at all.

From what National Debtline say ( and they will have had legal advice for their guides) then I would say if there has been no court action from Welcome at all they only had 5 years to claim any shortfall from you and you will be out of the woods.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X