• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Injury from Assault Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury from Assault Question

Morning,

I’m hoping someone could just take a look at the below and offer a bit of advice.

In March I was assaulted in an unprovoked attack, it happened in a pub toilets and it was two ladies. Luckily the whole situation was caught on CCTV, Police were called the two ladies were arrested, both admitted their guilt and later given a Police Caution for ABH. At the time of the incident I complained of my nose hurting, although there was no blood and swelling was minimal, but I was convinced it was broken. The first aider at the venue took a look and said nothing was wrong, the police took the first aiders advice and didn’t proceed in getting my superficial injuries checked by paramedics etc. I was still convinced something was wrong, so went to the hospital the next day after giving my statement and by this point my upper lip had swollen and bruised, so the hospital who quickly checked over my injuries just gave the advice of putting ice on my lip as that would be where the pain was coming from.

For 2 weeks, my nose was really painful and I found I was getting breathless quite a lot and quite some discomfort in my sinuses, but as everyone had advised it was just ‘bruising’ I just hoped it would recover. At around 2.5 weeks post assault I went to my GP as my nose just still didn’t feel right (you know your own body) and for the first time someone actually looked in my nose to discover it was badly deviated. Because it was 2.5 weeks post the injury it couldn’t be straightened as the bone would have started healing. I will just point out that I have NEVER had any problems with my nose or breathing prior to the assault. Cutting a long story short, I ended up having to have surgery to correct the injury due to the fact I couldn’t breathe properly and was gaining infections. The surgery resulted in a financial loss as I needed to pay for medication, insurance excess, etc.

The police, although admitted on the CCTV it is clear both the females punched me in my nose, will not pursue the case or woman any further. The Police Supervisor called me and admitted that the police at the time should have got my nose checked properly etc, however they said now that it’s pointless trying to take any further action as the CPS/Courts would be a potential waste of time. They did advise me however to recover my financial losses from the CICA, which I tried to do and they said my injury is not serious enough so wont compensate.

Now, in all honesty I am not looking for compensation – all I want it the approx. £300 financial loss I incurred back. I am a single woman, with a mortgage, car etc and £300 is a big loss….particularly when it is through no fault of my own and because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I then read in my local paper someone was awarded £60 compensation for witnessing 2 people copulating in public….whilst disgusting, how is that more serious that my nose being broken in an assault.

Is there anything at all I can do, or like many other people, just accept that as a victim in this country, is the luck of the draw as to what assistance you receive.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Injury from Assault Question

First thing you need to do is stay off the phone with the old bill

You need to put your complaint in writing, address it to the police headquarters for your area, not local police station, and address it to the Divisional commander

Include your out of pocket expense through the negligence of the local constable on the scene

You are being fobbed off

Comment

Originally posted by judgemental24 View Post
      First thing you need to do is stay off the phone with the old bill

You need to put your complaint in writing, address it to the police headquarters for your area, not local police station, and address it to the Divisional commander

Include your out of pocket expense through the negligence of the local constable on the scene

You are being fobbed off
      Would you advise I get legal representation for this, as the Police Supervisor mentioned if it went through court I would be dragged through the mud and my actions questioned. I thought this was bizarre as in all honesty, I didn't at any point become violent apart from when they attacked me from behind, I shoved one of them to get them off me. Also if my actions/behavior was in question why didn't I receive any warning from the police? It did feel a little bit like I was being put off from taking this further. Should I ask for my medical records to prove the correlation between the assault and the surgery?

I genuinely feel like I am being made to feel like I have some blame to take in this and fussing.

Comment

Had this case been brought before the magistrates I would have expected an order for compensation
        for the injury to be awarded against the women, it would not be a large amount.
        The reaction of the police was lacking proper concern and a complaint to The Chief Constable
        of your county constabulary or the commissioner if you are in the met catchment area.

A civil claim against the women is always open to you.

nem

Comment

You are the victim, the local copper is covering the back of his subordinate

Take it to the divisional commander over his head, You do not need legal representation at this stage

They may respond with a cheque for the £300 as "Sod off" money, That is why said to enclose a schedule of loss in your complaint. Let us see what his response is first

Send the complaint to the divisional head quarters and address to the divisional commander, not the local police station

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X