• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

clamp removed - arrested-released-innocent!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clamp removed - arrested-released-innocent!

Hi all,

as the title says i had a clamp on my veichle which was outside of the rights a bailiff has! i picked the lock took it off and was arrested for TWOC and criminal damage 2 days later. etc etc found to have no crime to answer!

but this is the second time in 12 months! last time i went to court 3 times and ended up with them dropping the case.

so now im thinking of taking some action agaisnt the council-bailiff- maybe police but they were pretty good to me!

i asked the council to help me prior to taking clamp of as it was illeagaly fitted as the bailiff was not following his rules of possion, but they didnt care, and the police said civil case dont care! and Rundels his company didnt help they just said they couldnt help i must deal with the bailiff!

any ideas?
    Tags: None

Re: clamp removed - arrested-released-innocent!

You will find on various internet sites that there are many references to prosecutions (under Section 68 etc) for removing a wheel clamp and in fact, I have provided by way of press articles. If this is the second time that you have done this then my own personal opinion is that you are being very silly indeed and I do not know what you were trying to achieve.

I assume that the debt is in relation to a parking ticket. It is difficult to comment without knowing a bit more background information. For instance:

Did you receive all the previous statutory notices from the council?

Did you appeal the ticket?

Did you receive a Notice of Enforcement from the bailiff company?

Did you contact the company on receipt of the Notice of Enforcement to offer a payment proposal?

Comment

Originally posted by clamp remover View Post

I asked the council to help me prior to taking clamp of as it was illeagaly fitted as the bailiff was not following his rules of possion, but they didnt care, and the police said civil case dont care! and Rundels his company didnt help they just said they couldnt help i must deal with the bailiff!

any ideas?
      What was the reason for you considering that the vehicle clamp had been 'illegaly fitted'?

Comment

This Freeman stuff is very dangerous.

I have yet to see any successful court action when using this Freeman defence. Once the Baliff has levied on the goods the owner no longer owns that property, it becomes the property of the court/legislation

Just because you were released from custody does not mean you are innocent. It just means the police or Crown Prosecution Service decided it was not in the public interest to prosecute

Comment

the police said as the veichle was exempt goods the bailiff was interfering with my goods given me the legal right to remove his clamp!

Comment

Then i take it the vehicle was a works vehicle registered, taxed and insured in the company name??

Comment

Yes worth £1000 at best yes insured buisness use only ect ect.

Comment

Think the OP was innocent but Bailiff GUILTY

Comment

And in reply to judge mental24
                  It was not!!! A case of not in the public interest to pursue, it was a case of no crime to answer ! Police words not mine. The police were good to me and agreed with my action. In fact I've been advised to bring a civil case Agaisnt the bailiff "tort" ect as its a civil mater not a criminal one. Hence why I asked my original question

Comment

Originally posted by judgemental24 View Post

Just because you were released from custody does not mean you are innocent. It just means the police or Crown Prosecution Service decided it was not in the public interest to prosecute
                    Surely innocent until proved guilty!
                    Whose side are you on? Judge Jury and executioner?

Comment

Strange someone on here supporting illegal Bailiff actions

Comment

The law dos'nt like you to remove a clamp from a car, because you have to "tamper with it" but it is not against the law to remove a car from a clamp, providing the clamp is not damaged . i.e its your car so if you want to drop the ball joint whos to say you can't, and if that allows the clamp to fall off so what!

Comment

Originally posted by suffering View Post
                          The law dos'nt like you to remove a clamp from a car, because you have to "tamper with it" but it is not against the law to remove a car from a clamp, providing the clamp is not damaged . i.e its your car so if you want to drop the ball joint whos to say you can't, and if that allows the clamp to fall off so what!
                          In fact it is a criminal offence to remove a wheel clamp. If the debtor considers that the bailiff should not have applied the wheel clamp then he must not take the law into his own hands. Instead, he simply has to refer to section 85 of the Civil Procedure Rules and WRITE to the enforcement agent outlining the REASON why he disputes the action taken. The enforcement company must then refer the letter to the local authority (in the case of a debt for arrears of council tax or an unpaid penalty charge notice) or the court in the case of a court fine). The local authority (as creditor) then have a certain number of days to consider the complaint. If the creditor agrees that the clamp should not have been applied.....then the enforcement agent must remove it.

It would be interesting to know whether the original poster took any further action. I note that he was considering issuing a claim under the Torts Act.

Comment

What a nonsense of a Law if its illegally clamped you canot legally remove it without writing to bailiffs who then contact council.
                            Any normal person would remove it and lose it

Comment

Under what law is removal of an illegally placed wheel clamp an offence?

The Criminal Damage Act 1971 states "A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another..........shall be guilty of an offence."

Surely if the clamping of your vehicle is unlawful you have lawful excuse to remove said clamp.

If the bailiff clamps goods which are listed in the exempt list in
                              The Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013, surely that is unlawful?

I know that the usual advice is as per Milo, but I have always wondered about it, and until now never plucked up courage to question it.
                              Have there ever been prosecutions for Criminal Damage to clamps illegally placed?
                              Not looking for arguments, just clarification

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X