• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitor email service - Divorce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitor email service - Divorce

Hi

Its been 2.5 months since my wife hired a solicitor and I was told all communication would have to go through her solicitors. She has not spoken to me all this time.

Does anyone know what is the purpose of using solicitors to handle emails?

Essentially, if I want to send an email to my wife I send it to her solicitors and they forward it to her. I was wondering how a solicitor would normally charge for this sort service? do they charge for receving my email and then forwarding the email to her and how much would this be?

I am just a bit consicious how much all of this is going to cost. When she raises a petition she is most likely use unreasonable behaviour and although I plan to not to contest, I will gain some sort of agreement not to pay her solicitor fees.

Is it worth earlier on the process/may be after I receive the peitition:

"I would like to iterate that all your charges including divorce and financial proceeding will be met by your client and not by me. However, any charges such as respondent court fees and any solicitor that I appoint to represent me will be met myself,"

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Solicitor email service - Divorce

Just wanted to add this specific scenario:

Their last email was about that her client (my wife) still won't meet me for sometime and they wanted to continue with divorce. They wanted to ask for my postal address:

I replied to their email with four different response:

email 1: if she was consider to speaking to me by phone?
    email 2: gave them my address
    email 3: retracted my first email about asking to speaking to my phone
    email 4: told them they need to email me in the first instance before any correspondance are sent to my post address

I have not been thinking clearly since I am extremely upset with the whole situation. I am worried about how her solicitor would charge for receving four different response from me in such as scenario above? It would be easier if she would just talk to me by phone without using solcitor

Comment

The assets will be equally devided, the only thing different to this will be if there are children involved.

The costs of these emals wll come out of your wifes 50% share of he assets, not yours as she has instructed her own solicitor to do this

Do you have your own solicitor??
      Last edited by judgemental24; 20th September 2015, 10:00:AM.

Comment

Thank you.

just wondering how much would they charge for these emails (i realise they vary between solicitors)? I understand that it will be my wife (or soon to be ex) will have to bear it - I still care about her and don;t want her to add too much financial burden, because of me.

btw if it helps she hired http://www.bird-lovibond.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by acsrjsk View Post
          Thank you.

just wondering how much would they charge for these emails (i realise they vary between solicitors)? I understand that it will be my wife (or soon to be ex) will have to bear it - I still care about her and don;t want her to add too much financial burden, because of me.

btw if it helps she hired http://www.bird-lovibond.co.uk/
          Her solicitors cost will be her problem not yours your soon to be ex needs to ask the sols for their standard tariff of charges.

nem

Comment

Helped a very good friend with his divorce six months ago. His ex also insisted everything be done through her solicitor. His cost of the divorce wih his own solicitor came to five grand in total. His ex solicitor charged her twenty five grand. 20 quid an email, fifty quid a letter etc.

Solicitors charge by the minute at solicitors rates, that can be £170.00 an hour or charge part hour.

I do not wish to seem blunt but if she is being unreasonable with contact, even by email then she deserves all she gets due to the pressure put on you. The average divorce cost 5 grand on each party, if she wants to play hard ball so be it. Of course her solicitor will not object "Ker ching"

Comment

OMG!

£20 an email - is that to send or receive?

Also why is sending a letter more costly than an email? Last time I checked royal mail stamps were about 70p!

Comment

Depending on the locality and grade of the fee earner the range is from around £140 per hour up to £400 per hour.
                Tariffs for " disbursements" and phone calls/texts/e-mails will vary among practices, if you are unhappy with a solicitors
                charges contact the SRA.

nem

Comment

Depends on the individual solicitors practice but yes, that will be a recordable charge if agreeed by your ex when she instructed them to represent her.

It is custom and practice though for the client to put staggered funds on account with the solicitors practice. They will not normally represent without holding these confirmed funds.. She will know exacly what the current solicitors bill is.

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Ok thanks.

I almost feel like sending her an email warning about the charges that she will be incurring about the costs and ask her to deal with me direct. But this again would be seen as a "controlling behaviour", which is one of the reason for breakdown.

Comment

As i have stated, she knows exactly what the current bill is as her solicitor will be constantly reminding her of that fact.

To be honest

That is no longer your problem, you now have your own life and to move on

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Originally posted by acsrjsk View Post
                          Ok thanks.

I almost feel like sending her an email warning about the charges that she will be incurring about the costs and ask her to deal with me direct. But this again would be seen as a "controlling behaviour", which is one of the reason for breakdown.
                          Best left alone I think solicitor should be advising on cost accrued as the case progresses.

nem

Comment

Ok thanks a lot

Comment

If the Solicitor wants to rip her off let them keep your costs down and when its over you can chuckle at the fact she paid to get your emails

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X