• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell - Defaults on my credit file which may be wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell - Defaults on my credit file which may be wrong

Hi There

sorry to bump an old thread but didn't want to start another unnecessarily.

One of the items on my file is a British Gas account and I spoke to someone there as the account whilst being similar to my name (slightly different spelling) and it relates to dates I was not actually living at the property to which the debt is attached (I left the marital home for a few years during divorce proceedings).

The guy I spoke to at British Gas agreed it was incorrect, they had an account in the ex-wifes name during this period and he agreed to remove it.

I waited until Noddle showed the next reporting and it is still there.

Is there something I could/should be doing formally via letter or email to have this looked into ?

I did receive a letter from British Gas about their complaints procedure saying we got your complaint here are the rules and SLA's etc but nothing particular to my case or the query I raised.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmc0708 View Post
      Hi There

sorry to bump an old thread but didn't want to start another unnecessarily.

One of the items on my file is a British Gas account and I spoke to someone there as the account whilst being similar to my name (slightly different spelling) and it relates to dates I was not actually living at the property to which the debt is attached (I left the marital home for a few years during divorce proceedings).

The guy I spoke to at British Gas agreed it was incorrect, they had an account in the ex-wifes name during this period and he agreed to remove it.

I waited until Noddle showed the next reporting and it is still there.

Is there something I could/should be doing formally via letter or email to have this looked into ?

I did receive a letter from British Gas about their complaints procedure saying we got your complaint here are the rules and SLA's etc but nothing particular to my case or the query I raised.
      Hi,
      It can take some time to remove data from credit files especially Noddle which uses data (2nd hand) from its parent Call Credit.

You will need to check Experian and Equifax as well as the data will have been reported there.

nem

Comment

Again - hope its OK to bump an older thread.

The British Gas one I mentioned earlier, I wonder if they have acted correctly.

Their default was done in 2014 - does this not have to be registered within a certain amount of time from the payments stopping or have I imagined this bit ?

LENDERBALANCE
        UPDATED
        STATUS

British Gas - Gas

£ 393

14/11/2015

Name
        Mr Leon * * * * * *

Address

Date of birth

Account type
        Gas - even payment

Account number
        ***************7489 0

Account start date
        24/07/2009

Repayment frequency
        Monthly

Date of default
        03/05/2014

Default balance
        £ 393

Status history
        2015 D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        2014 6
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        D
        DF
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        D
        2013 6
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        2012 6
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        2011 6
        BB
        BB
        BB
        BB
        Hide previous years

Comment

Hello Leon,

As the printout says this entry is a status update i.e. The Account was defaulted May 14 and remained so in November 14

The default date still shows the May date.

nem

Comment

sorry, I wasnt clear.

I meant to ask, is there a time within which they must default the account ?

It was from 2011 you see that they had the debt and they only issued default in 2014 despite not being paid in this time.

Comment

sorry, I wasnt clear.

I meant to ask, is there a time within which they must default the account ?

It was from 2011 you see that they had the debt and they only issued default in 2014 despite not being paid in this time.
              The record as it stands is correct, and shows the BB ( what is this please?) markers all the way up to may 14.

Can you explain why / how the account was defaulted in2011 please.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                The record as it stands is correct, and shows the BB ( what is this please?) markers all the way up to may 14.

Can you explain why / how the account was defaulted in2011 please.

nem
                Sorry I am not sure if the BB is anything it says that on Noddle.

Yeah - It was a British Gas account opened in a name similar to mine at a time I was not at the address. (ex Wife I think)

It wasn't paid at all ever by me, it was opened and closed within a six month period in 2009. I only found out about it in 2011 via a letter or email and at this point told them it was wrong.

I noticed it again when i signed up to Noddle recently.

Hope that makes sense

Comment

Sorry I am not sure if the BB is anything it says that on Noddle.

Yeah - It was a British Gas account opened in a name similar to mine at a time I was not at the address. (ex Wife I think)

It wasn't paid at all ever by me, it was opened and closed within a six month period in 2009. I only found out about it in 2011 via a letter or email and at this point told them it was wrong.

I noticed it again when i signed up to Noddle recently.

Hope that makes sense
                  Hello Leon.

I'd be inclined to raise a Formal Complaint with BG direct to the MD by signed for post.
                  It make me thing BG is fully aware there's a problem as they would normal flog off the
                  delinquent account very quickly.
                  It should not be on your credit files, no doubt this will be on Equifax and Experian as well
                  nem

Comment

On Noddle, AA means the account is in early arrears (i.e. 1 to 2 months/payments in arrears) and BB means the account is in sustained arrears (i.e. 3 or more months/payments in arrears).

You can reasonably argue that an account in sustained arrears should have been places in default earlier, see http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-default-date/.

HOWEVER I am not sure if this is the debt you are trying to argue is not yours? If it is, keep on with that argument and don't muddy the waters by trying to get the default date changed!

Comment

Got an call from BG today confirming they have found the letter I sent from my solicitor to state I wasn't in the property between those dates and they would update the credit file within a few weeks as there was a debt on the account and another department needs to sort this part before they can update.

Just got an email (after I asked the guy to confirm) confirming the same also so hopefully this will be sorted soon enough.

Thank for all your help on this people !!

:ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::y mca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca:

Comment

Next - Again a sticky wicket as it was in my name but she used it. I didn't do anything with it in the divorce as it slipped my mind as they had stopped chasing. I called Next as this only defaulted in 2013, I was paying DD for minimum payment in that time having checked but when I changed bank I missed this. My question on this is if I pay Next the balance do they have to remove the default ? I intend to pay it either way so wonder if a lump sum makes it happen sooner or I pay it over a couple of months. ITs balance is less than £400.
                        One other point on this - quoted above.

Next account defaulted in 2013.

Obviously it wont "drop off" until 2019 so if I wait this is some time down the road.

I understand (from Mortgage advisor) if it is older than three years old it wont affect my application for a mortgage so from February 2016 it wont affect this.

My question or rather my personal conundrum is do I pay this or leave them to it and not pay (and put the money into my deposit savings) ?

IS there any worth in me having satisfied a default or is there any way I could negotiate with Next to have the default removed once I have paid it or would they not entertain this ?

To clarify, I am sure none of that is owed by me and is actually the ex wife having ordered stuff on the account after I left. I accept I had a responsibility to tell them but i was going through a very bitter divorce.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comment

Got an call from BG today confirming they have found the letter I sent from my solicitor to state I wasn't in the property between those dates and they would update the credit file within a few weeks as there was a debt on the account and another department needs to sort this part before they can update.

Just got an email (after I asked the guy to confirm) confirming the same also so hopefully this will be sorted soon enough.

Thank for all your help on this people !!

:ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::y mca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca:
                          Well Done !! Just keep tabs on the CRA files.
                          Did you mention that the amendments should be made to all 3 Major CRA's files?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                            Well Done !! Just keep tabs on the CRA files.
                            Did you mention that the amendments should be made to all 3 Major CRA's files?

nem
                            Is this something I would need to request is it ? I only use that Noddle at present (as I begrudge paying) so wouldn't know what the others look like to be honest.

Comment

One other point on this - quoted above.

Next account defaulted in 2013.

Obviously it wont "drop off" until 2019 so if I wait this is some time down the road.

I understand (from Mortgage advisor) if it is older than three years old it wont affect my application for a mortgage so from February 2016 it wont affect this.

My question or rather my personal conundrum is do I pay this or leave them to it and not pay (and put the money into my deposit savings) ?

IS there any worth in me having satisfied a default or is there any way I could negotiate with Next to have the default removed once I have paid it or would they not entertain this ?

To clarify, I am sure none of that is owed by me and is actually the ex wife having ordered stuff on the account after I left. I accept I had a responsibility to tell them but i was going through a very bitter divorce.

Thanks in advance for your help
                              A satisfied default only has a minor effect on credit profile, But it's really down to potential creditors views on defaults satisfied or not some will make no allowance for age or payment.

nem

Comment

Thanks again Nem - appreciate your help and advice

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X