• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Personal loan debt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal loan debt?

Hi,
    i came across your site googling our problem, hope you can give me some advise about where to start.
    Ok, in sept 2011 my husband bought a car with a personal loan he took out from santander. We had the car 5 months before we moved from the UK to florida. In may 2012 (before we moved) my husband called santander and asked for the total to repay the loan early.
    We paid directly through our bank the balance of the loan.
    After about 1 year we had a letter sent to my mother in law from a collections agency saying we had defaulted on our loan and it had been passed to them.
    We sent proof that it had been paid in full and never heard anything back. It got passed to another collections agency so we again sent in proof of payment.
    we've since moved back to England and recently got our credit report as we've always had great credit and always paid bills on time. As we suspected its on our report and although we've contacted equifax they have come back and said santander will not remove it as it was defaulted?
    If it was defaulted why in a whole year before receiving this default was no payments taken from our account?
    What else can we do?
    Tags: None

Re: Personal loan debt?

Originally posted by JanetG View Post
    Hi,
    i came across your site googling our problem, hope you can give me some advise about where to start.
    Ok, in sept 2011 my husband bought a car with a personal loan he took out from santander. We had the car 5 months before we moved from the UK to florida. In may 2012 (before we moved) my husband called santander and asked for the total to repay the loan early.
    We paid directly through our bank the balance of the loan.
    After about 1 year we had a letter sent to my mother in law from a collections agency saying we had defaulted on our loan and it had been passed to them.
    We sent proof that it had been paid in full and never heard anything back. It got passed to another collections agency so we again sent in proof of payment.
    we've since moved back to England and recently got our credit report as we've always had great credit and always paid bills on time. As we suspected its on our report and although we've contacted equifax they have come back and said santander will not remove it as it was defaulted?
    If it was defaulted why in a whole year before receiving this default was no payments taken from our account?
    What else can we do?
    Good morning, welcome to LB,

Not the first time Satan's bank has done this sort of thing, this situation usually arises because the bank has added either interest and/or charges after the account balance was paid off.

The way forward is to raise a Formal Complaint with the bank, address it to the CEO marked " Private & Confidential" it's absolutely pointless dealing with the lower echelons of Santander's customer (dis) service department all of who seem to know little and care even
    less " computer says NO"!

nem

Comment

Re: Personal loan debt?

although we've contacted equifax they have come back and said santander will not remove it as it was defaulted?
      Contacting a Credit reference agency is usually pointless in these situations. You need to write to Santander with the word COMPLAINT at the top of your letter. Attach a copy of the proof that the loan was repaid and say you want the default removed.

If they refuse (which would seem unlikely) then take your complaint go to the Information Commisioners Office.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X