• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Access to Grave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to Grave

My father is buried in a grave in a churchyard.The family purchased the plot nearly 20 years ago.

The church and grave have since been purchased by a private individual.

They have put locked gates on the graveyard and told me to arrange access. When I do, he often does not turn up to let me in.

My question is, do I have any right of access to tender the grave ? I do know that the purchase of a grave is the right to bury in it, not ownership of the land itself, but is there implied right of access ?
    Tags: None

Re: Access to Grave

Originally posted by micheklet View Post
    My father is buried in a grave in a churchyard.The family purchased the plot nearly 20 years ago.

The church and grave have since been purchased by a private individual.

They have put locked gates on the graveyard and told me to arrange access. When I do, he often does not turn up to let me in.

My question is, do I have any right of access to tender the grave ? I do know that the purchase of a grave is the right to bury in it, not ownership of the land itself, but is there implied right of access ?
    Hi welcome to LB,

Is the church no longer functioning:
    What denomination is/was the church?
    Write to the appropriate church authority for information.

nem

Comment

Just for interest: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...former-8649551

It is a case of checking the deeds to the church as they should state rights of access and any restrictive covenants - ie the access rights of relatives. As you can see from the above story they can be quite limited.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Would it not be possible for you to be given a key to the lock on the gate ? Just seems as you may have to go to a lot of trouble for what I see as a simple solution.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X