• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Speed camera sign facing the wrong way?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed camera sign facing the wrong way?

So I have just got the dreaded letter in to say I was doing 56mph in a 40 zone, not good and I know I was speeding and shouldnt have been. However, I remember at the time it was one of the mobile speed camera vans stopped at the side of the road and the little blue sign that warns you its a speed camera was facing the traffic coming towards me, at the time I thought this meant the camera was for them and not me.

Is there any point in challenging this? Or is it a likely slam dunk? I have never had any points before and am a little annoyed as I work as a driver so it wont look good, but not the end of the world I guess

Might also be worth mentioning this happened in Northern Ireland, and I have a Northern Ireland license
    Last edited by adambart84; 25th August 2015, 20:40:PM. Reason: additional info
    Tags: None

Re: Speed camera sign facing the wrong way?

Assuming NI is the same as the rest of the UK whilst the presence of speed cameras may be indicated with road signs it is not a legal requirement.

HOWEVER, section 4.2 of Northern Ireland SafetyCamera Scheme HandbookMarch 2006 makes interesting reading.http://www.psni.police.uk/safety_cam...e_handbook.pdf

The handbook isn't law, but if you can show the signs were incorrectly placed, it will allow you to make a complaint, which might make you feel better whilst admitting the contravention!

Comment

Single or dual carriageway - I have never known whether those vans get cars going both ways.

I think the guidance requires only that vans are not behind obstacles and that the areas they will target are signed - meaning in general terms rather than specifically when vans are in operation. I travel a lot in North Yorkshire where, until recently when I think it changed, they famously didn't used fixed cameras - they did use mobile ones though and practically every major road has warning signs.

Comment

The guidance has no legal standing and means nothing. You can be caught either way unless it's a fixed camera e.g. gatso

M1

Comment

Probably making my point imperfectly, what I was trying to say was that, even if it had any legal force, it does not seem to aim to prevent the situation OP has.

Comment

Oh well looks like I will have to take my medicine... There was a mention in the letter of a speed awareness course which would result in no fine or points if I am eligible, does anyone know what the criteria is?

Comment

No force seems to publish what the criteria are for being offered a speed awareness course.
              However from other forums the cut off speed for 40mph zones seems to be 54mph, so probably you won't be offered one

Comment

Google brings up information for some forces, South Yorkshire, for example http://www.safetycamera.org/faqs/speed-awareness-course suggests that the range to be eligible is 46 - 53mph, so it looks as though you will struggle.

Comment

Oh well cant blame anyone but myself, thanks for all the replies though

Comment

Sorry not to be able to make any more positive suggestions.

Comment

I think, from memory, most forces are 10% + 9mph.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                        I think, from memory, most forces are 10% + 9mph.

M1
                        If my mental arithmetic is right, that would support the South Yorkshire criteria.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X