• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SC Plevin (Respondent) v Paragon Personal Finance Limited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SC Plevin (Respondent) v Paragon Personal Finance Limited

Sorry Fred but a lot of the courts argue about the wording of the CCA and there seems very few experts on it especially on the side of the consumer. Any favourable verdict in a high court will make enforcement easier and one of the reasons enforcement isn't enacted enough is down to cost. The enforcement agencies had their fingers burnt over bank charges so they are reluctant to get involved unless it is a sure fire thing. We all like to believe that the agencies are interpreting and enforcing the rules but they face the best barristers in court and lose as well.

Comment

https://youtu.be/-bL5DyKyP5k

Comment

The downside from this judgement I can see so far is that in some cases the judges have clearly stated that the lender has a responsibility for the brokers actions whereas this one doesn't. It is certainly easier to understand with the spoken word than the written word.

Comment

Originally posted by meellis View Post
          The downside from this judgement I can see so far is that in some cases the judges have clearly stated that the lender has a responsibility for the brokers actions whereas this one doesn't. It is certainly easier to understand with the spoken word than the written word.
          The broker..........no longer trading

The lender was the only party who knew the full extent of the commissions

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
            https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-...essSummary.pdf
            This matter was decided last week in the SC.

It overturns what many (including me) considered to be bad law re the matter of Harrison which decided that commissions paid to the lender/arranger for the customers PPI did NOT have to be disclosed to that customer therefore it did not constitute an unfair relationship

The SC judgment reverses this view completely in that the SC has decided that this DOES constitute an unfair relationship. Counsel for the respondent argued (& the court agreed) that withholding that information caused the Respondent to accept the PPI whereas If they had known the cost and the size of commissions and far exceeded the actual premium paid to the Norwich Union Insurance co (as was then) they probably would have sort considerably cheaper cover elsewhere. Anyway they were not advised they could seek alternative quotes thereby reducing the amount of the loan plus the additional high interest at a stroke

The Solicitors representing the respondent Plevin are I understand Miller Gardner of Manchester

It was last year according to the citation not last week though ??? i seem to recall this case being old news
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

November last year...............

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X