• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Which I Use For Business Taken by EO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Which I Use For Business Taken by EO

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice.

I owe the Council money for outstanding debt because of parking tickets and council tax. Long story but the Council put double yellow lines directly outside my house a number of years back, so when I come back home in the evening there is no space to park on my street apart from directly outside my house, which has led to me getting parking parking tickets the next morning. I have refused to pay these tickets because I don't believe I should be penalised for parking directly outside my own property. There has been an ongoing dispute between me and the Council which has also led to me refusing to pay my Council Tax until resolved.

These debts have been passed on to Andrew James Enforcement in Swansea and on Monday they clamped my car. The car wasn't outside my house but outside a friend's house 2 miles away. I left it there over the weekend so when I returned yesterday I found the clamp and a sticker on the car saying that I owe them just over 6k (Don't know where they have got this figure from) I phoned the EO office to ask for a breakdown of where these costs have been incurred but they refused to provide me with this information.

I became self employed earlier this year and use the car for business and pleasure. I delivered a letter to Andrew Jones Enforcements's office earlier today stating that I use the car for business so they are not allowed to take it. But this evening it was towed away.

Can anybody advise me what should be my next step?

Many thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Re: Car Which I Use For Business Taken by EO

Do not quote me but for you to prove that you use the vehicle for business use being self employed and exempt you will need to show the vehicle is registered for business on your insurance policy to the Bailiff company.

Comment

I have refused to pay these tickets because I don't believe I should be penalised for parking directly outside my own property. There has been an ongoing dispute between me and the Council which has also led to me refusing to pay my Council Tax until resolved.
      First I have to say that you (a) need to find somewhere else to park a car and (b) need to reach an agreed settlement with the Council over these parking tickets. Thinking there should not be yellow lines there is not a valid reason for not paying a ticket. Also if you are refusing to pay your council tax because of this, then you have to be aware that you could be sent to prison - this is unusual but councils can and do use this for people who are refusing to pay, rather than "can't pay".

Re your car that has been removed. how much is it worth second hand? If it is more than £1350 the 'exempt' provisions don't apply (see https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...-and-bailiffs/)

Comment

You may have stated what you use the car for but did you provide any proof? What sort of business do you run? Any tools to carry? How many others are insured to drive? How do you trade - Sole Trader, Partnership or Ltd Co?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X