• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British gas reported on my credit file anyone please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British gas reported on my credit file anyone please help

Hi All

I have previously had a really hard time lost my house through no fault of my own and it has taken 6 years to clear my credit file it has all just dropped off my credit rating is now good!

I have always paid all my utilities on time a couple of years I moved house I rang British gas to say I was moving and they only had an estimated meter reading. I cancelled the direct debit and asked them for a final meter reading to confirm what I owed to them. I don't recall ever receiving this, I did have at the time many phone call with them and struggled to get any of them to understand.

I asked for the outstanding amount to be carried forward to my new address and I set up another direct debit. I then got a letter saying I still owed £73 I rang them to see why this hadn't been added to my new account and they said it needed paying separately I was really annoyed about this as I never received a final breakdown for the account and was just sitting on it a bit longer deciding what to do. When I received a solicitors letter saying if I didn't pay they would register this with a credit reference agency.

I did not know at any point this was going on my credit file and with this letter being worded more strongly I rang to discuss. The guy told me if I paid immediately it wouldn't effect my credit file. He did not tell me they had already reported on my file!!

Whilst on my experian the other day I noticed this account so rang them about it, it is now closed and shows I had a payment arrangement for one month in April 2013 it then shows 3 missed payments and a fourth month with ? and then closed. Exprian have classed this as a deliquent account.

So my worry is will this effect me getting a mortgage? Reading online loads of people have had problems with them issuing defaults if I dispute this now will they add a default to the 4th month that just has a ? next to it.

Cant believe I have worked so hard to clear my file and now have a £72 debt that is probably incorrect with them affecting me.

Please anyone can you help x
    Tags: None

Re: British gas reported on my credit file anyone please help

Originally posted by NickyBrox View Post
    Hi All

I have previously had a really hard time lost my house through no fault of my own and it has taken 6 years to clear my credit file it has all just dropped off my credit rating is now good!

I have always paid all my utilities on time a couple of years I moved house I rang British gas to say I was moving and they only had an estimated meter reading. I cancelled the direct debit and asked them for a final meter reading to confirm what I owed to them. I don't recall ever receiving this, I did have at the time many phone call with them and struggled to get any of them to understand.

I asked for the outstanding amount to be carried forward to my new address and I set up another direct debit. I then got a letter saying I still owed £73 I rang them to see why this hadn't been added to my new account and they said it needed paying separately I was really annoyed about this as I never received a final breakdown for the account and was just sitting on it a bit longer deciding what to do. When I received a solicitors letter saying if I didn't pay they would register this with a credit reference agency.

I did not know at any point this was going on my credit file and with this letter being worded more strongly I rang to discuss. The guy told me if I paid immediately it wouldn't effect my credit file. He did not tell me they had already reported on my file!!

Whilst on my experian the other day I noticed this account so rang them about it, it is now closed and shows I had a payment arrangement for one month in April 2013 it then shows 3 missed payments and a fourth month with ? and then closed. Exprian have classed this as a deliquent account.

So my worry is will this effect me getting a mortgage? Reading online loads of people have had problems with them issuing defaults if I dispute this now will they add a default to the 4th month that just has a ? next to it.

Cant believe I have worked so hard to clear my file and now have a £72 debt that is probably incorrect with them affecting me.

Please anyone can you help x
    Hi welcome to LB,

Yes this will put paid to any mortgage application very quickly.

You could try making a formal complaint to BG regarding the way it managed the account, send to the MD/CEO of BG.
    The reporting to credit files is regulated by the Information Commissioners Office, and it requires the reports to be accurate and up to date reflections of the conduct of accounts, this seems correct for yours at present.

Only BG can change or amend the entries( this will be I suspect on all 3 main agencies and the off shoot data gathering agencies.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X