• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Law on contacting last employer for a reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law on contacting last employer for a reference

Hi
    Is it legal or not for a company you are applying for a job with to contact your previous employer for a reference with out your consent or knowledge

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Law on contacting last employer for a reference

Originally posted by Batista230 View Post
    Hi
    Is it legal or not for a company you are applying for a job with to contact your previous employer for a reference with out your consent or knowledge

Thanks
    Can't see that there is anything illegal in seeking confirmation of an applicants status as portrayed in an application form/letter nor would I think it unlawful one would have an expectation that such action would be taken,
    In the area in which I have worked references were always sought prior to interview.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      In the area in which I have worked references were always sought prior to interview.
      nem
      If that was standard practice, your present employer might then become aware if and when you were applying for jobs with other employers. If you were then ultimately unsuccessful at interview, you could find your present employment under threat despite not having secured new employment. For this and other good reasons I do not believe that seeking references prior to interview is something that would normally happen - and definitely not without the fully informed consent of the job applicant. It surely wouldn't make any sense for employers to be spending their valuable time pursuing references on a fairly large number of potential applicants before they've even made a definite decision to employ them. It would be wasting their own time as well as that of other employers.

As for Batista230's original question: he/she should provide far more details of the job that was being applied for and the circumstances of the application, but as a general rule, I would be extremely unhappy if a reference was sought about me without my prior knowledge or consent. I would only expect past employers to be contacted after it had been made clear to me that an offer of employment had been made and I would also expect to be able to consent or not to consent to specific employers being contacted.

Comment

If you did not fill in the part in the application where they specifically asked for details of employer or a persons details for them to use to get a reference, then they do not have your consent to do so. The data protection act prevents them contacting your current employer unless you have specifically given consent for them to do so.

Though there is implied consent i.e. by applying for a job, its standard practice to have a reference or for the employer to seek a reference, so it is common knowledge to expect them to do so. So you have by applying given implied consent, though if you attached a letter requesting they do not contact your current employer for a reference on the grounds your still employed by them and their knowing your seeking employment elsewhere may put your employment with them at risk, then said letter acts to retract said implied consent!

Your current employer however can not treat you in any detrimental way for seeking employment elsewhere!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Many applications I have seen say that references will not be sought until after an offer has been made. I do not think that applying for a job gives implied consent to anything and your present employer should not be divulging details about you without express consent

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
            Many applications I have seen say that references will not be sought until after an offer has been made. I do not think that applying for a job gives implied consent to anything and your present employer should not be divulging details about you without express consent
            As I recall now; I think it is illegal for an ex employer to give a bad reference.

Here is an example of what has been happening.
            I go in person to apply for a job. They ask what have you done and who have you worked for so I tell them.
            They say we would be interested in hiring you please could you fill this application form out tonight and we will be in tough tomorrow.
            On the application form it asks for 2 references.
            In the mean time they have called my last employer who has given a bad reference. And come tomorrow they ever tell me they have done so and say they can not hire me or they lie about it and make all kinds of excuses up why they will not invite me back.

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
              Well there not going to actually seek references from those that they have not been offered the job, simply because of the time and effort involved in doing so, let alone cost of doing so! So there is implied consent if an offer is made. But where applications do not say anything about when references will be sought, then the act of giving details as to who they should contact for a reference is implied consent. Its also common sense that if your asked in an application to give details as to whom they can seek references from, that they are going to contact them at some stage!
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Originally posted by Batista230 View Post
                As I recall now; I think it is illegal for an ex employer to give a bad reference.

Here is an example of what has been happening.
                I go in person to apply for a job. They ask what have you done and who have you worked for so I tell them.
                They say we would be interested in hiring you please could you fill this application form out tonight and we will be in tough tomorrow.
                On the application form it asks for 2 references.
                In the mean time they have called my last employer who has given a bad reference. And come tomorrow they ever tell me they have done so and say they can not hire me or they lie about it and make all kinds of excuses up why they will not invite me back.
                If your previous employer gave you an inaccurate reference then that is libel and you can sue them for damages i.e. lost of potential earnings made from job that you were turned down for due to the inaccurate reference.

A bad reference however is not illegal, unless its inaccurate. I.e. you resigned under investigation, yet reference stated you were dismissed for gross misconduct! For it to be accurate it would have to state "You resigned under Investigation".

So no its not illegal to give a bad reference, it is however unlawful (not same as illegal) to give a reference that is inaccurate. So if you were dismissed and the employer stated in the reference you were dismissed, whilst that may seem like a bad reference, it is still accurate and perfectly lawful!

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                  If your previous employer gave you an inaccurate reference then that is libel and you can sue them for damages i.e. lost of potential earnings made from job that you were turned down for due to the inaccurate reference.
                  The situation is this
                  I left because I was messed about
                  The phone references the company have been giving is that I got bared off of a lot of there customers site for being rude and abusive
                  I have no knowledge of this
                  What do you think

Comment

Ok only way you can evidence the phone reference is by getting a copy of the phone recording from the employer the reference was given too, if they recorded the call that is, as a lot do not.

I would simply inform them in writing by recorded delivery, that you have been informed as to the details of the phone reference they gave and that the reference was inaccurate in regards to your being barred for sites for being rude, which is simply not true. Advise them that if they provide any more inaccurate references you will have no choice but to sue them for libel and claim damages for detriment. Advise them all future references are to be accurate and to simply state accurately that you resigned, accurate dates as per start date and date employment terminated, and accurate account of attendance record!

Comment

So are you saying I have no proof of this telephone call that took place between there 2 employers so I cant take action agains him

Comment

No i am saying without a recording of the phone call, or written statement from the employer that contacted your previous employer for a reference confirming what previous employer said, then its your word against that of your previous employer's!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X