• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default times and info with CRA I don't recognise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default times and info with CRA I don't recognise

Hi all after some advice on what to do about this. Sorry for the length. But thought it best to start with all the facts!
    Stupidly, I lived off credit cards during my degree as I had children and didn’t qualify for benefits and then couldn’t pay them when I finished in May 2005. I entered a payment plan with CCCS in August of that year where I paid heavily reduced payments to all my creditors for about 9 months as I was on JSA.
    Within this, I had a credit card which refused to accept the payment amount offered and said they would have a £5 a month token payment as I couldn’t pay enough to show the debt would be paid in a reasonable time. I had to cut up the card and return it to them at this time and they agreed to freeze interest and charges (does this suggest it should have been entered as a default in 2005?)
    I paid bits here and there again through CCCS from Oct 2007 to March 2008- but not this debt as they weren’t hassling me and I knew they would only accept a fiver anyway.
    Anyway, this credit card company just kept sending me a statement every month with the £5 request and I just kept ignoring them and didn't pay as they never called or sent any other form of letter, unlike all the other debt collection agencies. This continued until 2011 at least (last statement I can find!).
    Now I am in a position where the clock is ticking and I want to take out a mortgage. However, my credit file has a default registered mid 2013 (so now there until 2019!!) from what I can only presume from the balance is this credit card debt. All other CCJs and defaults from then, except two items which will go soon, have now fallen off due to the default dates. I receive regular letters from them asking for payments now too.
    The payment information and first entry starts in 2012 registered by a collection agency and has an arrangement to pay on it which then says was defaulted on- some green payment markers, then some 6 markers, green markers again, then a 1 then a 6 then a Default. Although there are payment markers from 2012 to 13- the balance is exactly the same as the statement from 2011 if it is the same debt so clearly no payments were made!
    I don’t recall entering a plan with anybody at this time What is bothering me is this indication of payment plans and payments- where have these come from? Is there a way I can find out without acknowledging? I am pretty sure I didn’t make any contact acknowledging the debt so it should be statue barred except for these ‘apparent’ payments’ which would have reset the clock though.
    What can I send to find out what this debt actually is and if it is the same? I was going to send a statue barred letter, but they can say I have made payments according to the CRA files- even though I have no memory of this. How can I find out what these were and where they have come from?
    Tags: None

Re: Default times and info with CRA I don't recognise

Hi,

What exactly doe your credit file say please?
    The entry in 2012 would be a DCA updating the original
    creditors entry on the credit files when it acquired the debt.

So who " owns " the debt now (name on the credit file)? Does it state who the original
    creditor was?

The date of the very last payment + 1 month is a safe indicator as to when the 6 year clock started ticking.
    nem

Comment

Thanks

It doesn't say who the original creditor was. Arrow is named on the file.
      opening date is 2004 then a default in 2013.

The payment history starts in March 2012- credit limit always says £0 then the markers throughout 2012- 3 green boxes, then 4 red ones with a 6 in, then 3 green
      2013- a yellow with a 1, a red with a 6 then a default in March (equifax)
      Experian also says debt management programme start date May 2012 end date Dec 2012. Their payment markers go 8, 6, 1, 0 0 0, 6, 6, 6, 6, 0 , 0
      date last updated- May 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky7772 View Post
        Thanks

It doesn't say who the original creditor was. Arrow is named on the file.
        opening date is 2004 then a default in 2013.

The payment history starts in March 2012- credit limit always says £0 then the markers throughout 2012- 3 green boxes, then 4 red ones with a 6 in, then 3 green
        2013- a yellow with a 1, a red with a 6 then a default in March (equifax)
        Experian also says debt management programme start date May 2012 end date Dec 2012. Their payment markers go 8, 6, 1, 0 0 0, 6, 6, 6, 6, 0 , 0
        date last updated- May 2013
        OK Arrow Global are now the owners.

The ICO has taken a much firmer view on Arrangement to Pay markers as opposed to defaulting accounts. It is usual for accounts to be defaulted on entry in to a DMP. One credit provider springs to mind in reference to AP markers and problems with defaults and that's Barclaycard.
        Is Arrow Global pursuing you for payment now?

I think you need to make a CCA request to Arrow to see if they have an agreement for this account, there is a £1 statutory fee to pay for this use a cheque or postal order endorsed for statutory fee only, Arrow has 12 + 2 Working days to comply.

If you are going to get any chance of getting the default date amended we must find out the name of the original creditor who posted the initial credit file entry (s).

nem

Comment

Cheers-I'll send one then. Arrow have passed it around and it is now with Rossendales.

It's funny you should mention them as the other defaults are from them- they didn't default me until 6 months after they took a lump sum of money from my bank account to offset a balance from an overdraft debt I had in a previous DMP straight after I got paid (I didn't know they could do this at the time!). Then they didn't default the CC attached to the same account until a year later than the bank account default.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X