• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Financial non compliance of CCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Financial non compliance of CCA

Hello ,

I have been hounded by Lowell for the last year over an old Capital One debt. In January I sent a CCA request.
    They responded by saying that since the debt and account was so old, they were closing the account but that
    if documents came to light in the future they would recommence pursuing payment.

Well after 6 months worry free, a large envelope landed on the doormat from Lowell containing statements
    going back to 1999 and a demand for payment but no agreement or terms and conditions and nothing with any signature.
    I ignored this and have been receiving the usual letters from them 2-3 times a week for the last 2 weeks, culminating in the
    latest, threatening legal action.

I would just like clarification on how I should word my next letter to them as they obviously haven't fulfilled
    the CCA request.

The debt will time out after 6 years on 13th December this year.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated

David
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Financial non compliance of CCA

Hi Welcome to LB,

Quite simply no agreement the debt is unenforceable.
    Does Lowell describe the documents as " reconstituted" agreement
    or a true copy of your agreement in a covering letter?

nem

Comment

Wow, that was quick! lol

Hi, Nem, No, there wasn't even an attempt at a reconstituted agreement or a mention of one . All they sent were the statements

David

Comment

I have started a letter to them but slightly at a loss as to how to finish it and I don't want to screw it up. This is what I have written so far -

Lowell Financial Ltd
        Ellington House
        9 Savannah Way, Leeds Valley Park West
        LEEDS
        West Yorkshire
        LS10 1AB
        17/07/2015

Dear Sir/Madam
        Re:- Account/Reference Number *********
        I do not acknowledge any debt to your company or its clients.
        On 20/01/2015 I wrote to you requesting that you supply me a true copy of the executed credit
        agreement for this account (copy enclosed). You have failed to comply with this request

Comment

Originally posted by Torquemadder View Post
          Wow, that was quick! lol

Hi, Nem, No, there wasn't even an attempt at a reconstituted agreement or a mention of one . All they sent were the statements

David
          Hello David,

In that case the following may help.

FAO Mr Andrew Bartle,
          COO The Lowell Group
          Ellington House
          9 Savannah Way
          Leeds Valley Park
          LS10 1AH

Date.................................

Ref: Use Lowell's.

Dear Mr Bartle,

I have received a bundle of documents from ..........................department of Lowell I am rather mystified as to the meaning or intent of supplying these documents which consist entirely of statements of an account.

I am sure however these documents are intended to meet a request for information made under the provision of sections 77-79 of CCA 1974 (as amended) and I am sure the sender is fully aware that the documents provider do not meet the requirements laid down in the act and are of no consequence.

You are reminded also that said documents fail to meet the requirements for a " Reconstituted " agreement and are formally rejected as non compliant.
          Please note that the content of this letter is not an admission of any liability to Lowell.

OK David, use signed for post check delivery date.
          nem

Comment

Thanks, Nem. Greatly appreciated. That's just what I was looking for. You're a star

David

Comment

For anyone else browsing for enlightenment and for your approval, Nem, this is my finished effort -

Lowell Financial Ltd
              Ellington House
              9 Savannah Way, Leeds Valley Park West
              LEEDS
              West Yorkshire
              LS10 1AB
              17/07/2015

Dear Sir/Madam
              Re:- Account/Reference Number **********
              On 20/01/2015 I wrote to you requesting that you supply me a true copy of the executed credit
              agreement for this account (copy enclosed).
              I am rather mystified as to the meaning or intent of the documents that you supplied which consist
              entirely of statements of an account. I am sure however that these documents are intended to meet a
              request for information made under the provision of sections 77-79 of CCA 1974 (as amended) and I am
              sure the sender is fully aware that the documents provided do not meet the requirements laid down in
              the act, are of no consequence and are formally rejected as non compliant.
              Please note that the content of this letter is not an admission of any liability to Lowell.

I respectfully request a response to this letter in 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Comment

Why not simply reply to the threat of legal action ( was it marked letter before action or letter of claim?) with that letter to lowells ordinary bods direct . In my opinion you only go direct to the top when you want a result and at this point you really do not want them to comply with your S78 request.
                If it was a letter of claim there is a whole different type of letter to be sent as well

Comment

Hello ,

I have been hounded by Lowell for the last year over an old Capital One debt. In January I sent a CCA request.
                  They responded by saying that since the debt and account was so old, they were closing the account but that
                  if documents came to light in the future they would recommence pursuing payment.

Well after 6 months worry free, a large envelope landed on the doormat from Lowell containing statements
                  going back to 1999 and a demand for payment but no agreement or terms and conditions and nothing with any signature.
                  I ignored this and have been receiving the usual letters from them 2-3 times a week for the last 2 weeks, culminating in the
                  latest, threatening legal action.
                  Would you be able to post up that letter (remove all personal details first)? :typing:

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                  Why not simply reply to the threat of legal action ( was it marked letter before action or letter of claim?) with that letter to lowells ordinary bods direct . In my opinion you only go direct to the top when you want a result and at this point you really do not want them to comply with your S78 request.
                  If it was a letter of claim there is a whole different type of letter to be sent
                  as well
                  I fully concur with this. Normally when you send a CCA request and it's not complied with properly, i.e. they send something that's not a properly executed agreement with all the terms, for whatever reason, then you'd just write back saying the account is in dispute as a result of non-compliance with your s.77/78 request and give reasons if appropriate, i.e. it was an illegible copy, just an application form with no terms, just terms and no agreement, etc. as applicable.

This process has worked for a lot of people over the years, myself included. :grin: :grin: :grin:

A letter of claim would usually be sent by solicitors rather than the creditor themselves, with the possible exception of MKDP who use their own in-house legal team. Lowell would get either the lovely Mr Carter or BW Legal to send it, that's why it would be good to be able to see the letter in question. If it's one from one of the above, it's very likely a claim will follow if it's not in the post already.

Comment

Ah it was just a letter saying they were reviewing my account for next steps. - as follows-

Dear Mr *******

Recovering what you owe
                    As you are yet to contact us to discuss your account, (AS IF!) we are reviewing your account for next steps which could include
                    legal action if you do not agree to repay.

Legal action would involve passing your account to a third party collection agency who may apply to the County Court for a
                    Judgement against you (this is known as a CCJ). If they are successful in obtaining a CCJ and you still do not pay, they may then
                    look to inforce the CCJ. This could involve:

If you are employed, an application being made to the Enforcement of Judgements Office to deduct amounts directly
                    from your earnings, or

an application being made for a bailiff to visit your home to the obtain payment to the value of the debt (Their grammar, not mine lol)

Any enforcement action taken would depend on the amount you owe and your circumstances.

You can avoid this by calling us on 0333 556 5701 to discuss an affordable repayment plan or visit www.lowell.co.uk to either pay in full (HAHAHA)
                    or arrange a suitable payment plan online.

If you are struggling with debt, please see overleaf for details of organisations where you can get free, confidential and impartial advice. (yeah, like they care)

Yours sincerely

Andrew Bartle
                    Chief Operations Officer

- - - Updated - - -

So basically it hasn't got serious yet. I think they know they haven't got a hope and are resorting to previous standard threatening letters in the hope that I'll crack

- - - Updated - - -

and yes, I did sit and type out the entire letter because I couldn't be arsed scanning and editing personal details out of the scan lol

Comment

To be totally honest I would either leave it be or just write a general non compliance with your cca request letter (without specifics) back to lowells

Comment

Ah it was just a letter saying they were reviewing my account for next steps. - as follows-

Dear Mr *******

Recovering what you owe
                        As you are yet to contact us to discuss your account, (AS IF!) we are reviewing your account for next steps which could include
                        legal action if you do not agree to repay.

Legal action would involve passing your account to a third party collection agency who may apply to the County Court for a
                        Judgement against you (this is known as a CCJ). If they are successful in obtaining a CCJ and you still do not pay, they may then
                        look to inforce the CCJ.
                        This could involve:
                        A big *IF* there! As in "If I was successful in winning the lotto, I may look into buying a yacht..." :lol:
                        If you are employed, an application being made to the Enforcement of Judgements Office to deduct amounts directly
                        from your earnings, or

an application being made for a bailiff to visit your home to the obtain payment to the value of the debt (Their grammar, not mine lol)

Any enforcement action taken would depend on the amount you owe and your circumstances.
                        They all love to list all the possible ways in which they *could* enforce a CCJ if they had one!
                        You can avoid this by calling us on 0333 556 5701 to discuss an affordable repayment plan or visit www.lowell.co.uk to either pay in full (HAHAHA)
                        or arrange a suitable payment plan online.

If you are struggling with debt, please see overleaf for details of organisations where you can get free, confidential and impartial advice. (yeah, like they care)
                        Sounds like a fairly generic threat-o-gram as opposed to a letter of claim. :thumb:

Comment

Isn't that basically what my letter is? Blah, blah, you haven't complied. Jog on :tinysmile_grin_t:

I don't mean to sound flippant. Just paraphrasing. I would like to nail this on the head before it does go further, even if it is unlikely to

Comment

Exactly, FlamingParrot. I know that they have no record of me signing anything because I never did sign anything from Capital One

Comment

Exactly, FlamingParrot. I know that they have no record of me signing anything because I never did sign anything from Capital One
                              When did you take out the Cap One card? You mention statements going back to 1999, is that around the time you took out the card?

For accounts started before April 2007, s.127(3) of the CCA prevents a court from enforcing the account unless there was a properly executed agreement containing all the prescribed terms to start with. If you didn't sign such an agreement, then the account would be irredeemably unenforceable as opposed to just temporarily UE whilst they are in default of your s.78 request. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

(3)The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).
                              Sadly this lovely bit of legislation was repealed with effect from April 2007 so it doesn't apply to accounts opened after that time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X