• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Intellectual Property section - Employment Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intellectual Property section - Employment Contract

Hi all,

I'm just about to sign my employment contract with my new employer, I was keen to have a contract that stated something along the lines of - I agree to offer them any employment invention created outside the workplace (at home, for example) to obtain legally as their IP in exchange for a profit share agreement, otherwise they relinquish any rights to that invention.

The reason for this being I work in apps and make a lot of stuff in my spare time, I've heard stories of companies trying to take money because the employee was under their employment when the invention (app) was made.

They were happy to agree to this and we agreed this arrangement by way of gentleman's agreement. However the Intellectual Property section appears to me as though it basically says I relinquish all my rights to any invention I make, will make or have made before the employment started. Which is not what we agreed upon, I was hoping someone could look at this for me and help me understand some of this legal jargon. Basically does this say I hand over all my Intellectual Property rights no questions asked?

"Intellectual property" means all interest and title in and rights to improvements, inventions, processes, systems, designs, production practices, software code, patents, copyrights, trademarks, design rights, technical information and know-how devised, written, made, suggested or found by you at any time whether or not prior to the date of this agreement and whether solely or jointly and whether or not relating to the business or operations of MYCOMPANY from time to time or any work done by you for MYCOMPANY.

You now assign (subject to s.40 of the Patents Act 1977) to MYCOMPANY all and any interest, title and rights you have or may have in the intellectual property and shall promptly provide such information and assistance (without charge to but at the expense of MYCOMPANY) to obtain, maintain and enforce protection for the intellectual property anywhere in the world including executing any documents necessary to vest in MYCOMPANY all and any rights and title to the intellectual property which it is now agreed shall be and remain the property of MYCOMPANY.

You now assign with full title guarantee all present and future copyright in all your rights, title and interest in and to all material written, created or devised by you relating to the business or operations of MYCOMPANY from time to time or any work done by you for MYCOMPANY and all rights of action for damages for infringement of such copyright.

You now irrevocably and unconditionally waive any and all moral rights under the Copyrights, Designs and Patents Act 1988 in and to any material above.

You now appoint MYCOMPANY as your attorney to act in your name and on your behalf to execute all deeds and documents as may be required above.

The Employee agrees:
    • to give the Employer full written details of all Employment Inventions which relate to or are capable of being used in the business of the Employer promptly on their creation;
    • at the Employer's request and in any event on the termination of his employment to give to the Employer all originals and copies of correspondence, documents, papers and records on all media which record or relate to any of the Employment IPRs;
    • to maintain confidentiality of all internal business communication;
    • not to develop (further), release or sell (or any other use) any ideas, codes, concepts or any other IPR;
    • not to attempt to register any Employment IPR nor patent any Employment Invention unless requested to do so by the Employer; and
    • to keep confidential each Employment Invention unless the Employer has consented in writing to its disclosure by the Employee.

Last edited by UKDeveloper99; 14th July 2015, 02:53:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Intellectual Property section - Employment Contract

They may be thinking that the development is done in some work time and some of your own time?
    After allwhat most of us do at home we think about at work and the same with work thinking

Comment

Erm I don't think so, there was a clear distinction between work projects and home projects. Any idea/invention discussed or developed in the workplace becomes the ip of the company. Any idea/invention that is conceived in a separate environment to work (e.g home) and is entirely developed during my own time, can be offered to the company as their ip in exchange for a share of the profits. Anyone any ideas?
      Last edited by UKDeveloper99; 14th July 2015, 18:09:PM.

Comment

Don't sign it as anything you invent or have rights over both in the past and even in the future after you left employment would be theirs, looking at those terms. I'd say they are way to broad to be enforceable anyway, but to save lengthy and costly legal disputes, i'd tell them to shove those terms where the sun doesn't shine, as you'd personally be signing you life a way, as any idea or app or invention you make you would have no rights to them as they'd own them and therefore they'd own you too! Slavery in the digital age!!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X