• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

further education advice for an old git

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• further education advice for an old git

hi all hope someone can help me. I have been in engineering all my life from 16 to 45, (fabricator/welder) when I had to finish due to a serious illness that has left me disabled. Now after 7 years without working it is driving me mad, but there is no way I can go back to what I know as it is just too physical. I am educated to 'O' level standard, but I had no interest in going to university as I just wanted to get into engineering which looking back was possibly the wrong choice.

I want to retrain for some type of office work as that is about all I could physically manage now, however I do realise age is against me along with my working background. I have a strong interest in law or CAD but I'm not sure where to go, the disabled sites I have seen are short on advice regarding adult training. I did look at the Open University but their prices are not practical to me as I am on benefits. Do any members know where I could study cheaply and possibly do 'A' levels or other courses that will not break the bank?

My priority is to try and get back into work but I would settle for something that is going to stimulate my brain and stop me from vegetating.

regards

J
    Tags: None

Re: further education advice for an old git

Because you are on benefits you could be helped with the OU. A quick look at their pages brings up a "Disabled Students Allowance". http://www2.open.ac.uk/study/support...pport-we-offer

THere may be other organisations that could offer assistance.

Comment

You could be entitled to a student loan to pay the fees studying through the OU - I am doing this starting in October this year. They do have a number of free short courses you can do as well, if you want to try it out see if that way of working suits you. I'm doing a couple more modules (employment law and family law) towards my degree this year while my circumstances happen to mean I can get the student loan.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Try your local he college they offer a range of courses. I think for minimum you would want an accredited course for ms office, spreadsheets and word processing. Some cad if you can afford it .

Comment

Just to add, I have had a battle with the OU regarding student finance England, as I am on transitional fees (pre 2012 student) I wasn't eligible (so the OU said). aaaa, but, I switched from a BEng to a BSc Open in 2012, which is a "new" course..
          OU approved my tuition fee loan even though I am on transitional fees.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X